2008 IBL All*Star Game

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:15 pm

[quote=""besl""]
Bellingham was the only team in the west that sent their best players. A couple of the West's players aren't currently playing in the league (Williams and Ramey) and were only there because they live in the area, and one (A.J. Diggs of Los Angeles) had not played in an IBL game until he played against Gary the next night.
[/quote]

Shon Williams plays in the league. He plays for the traveling IBL USA all*stars. He was the best of the USA all*stars I saw, IMO. The intention from day one of the season was to use this team as a talent pool. Shon Williams was one of two players representing the Edmonton Chill Thursday night.

Also, the crowd was light, but the quality of crowd was high. More than a few groupies (for lack of a better term) were in attendance. LOL. The afterset (I didn't go) at Bennigan's should have been interesting.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:33 pm

[quote=""tbayz1""]Keith BOSS Closs...

He played really good here in Buffalo last year, a fan favorite, and he is very funny on and off the court :)

He played in the D-League this past season, he had a decent season. He put up some decent numbers when he got more playing time.

Got any pics from last night Ken?[/quote]

No pics from last night and I'm kicking myself. Forgot the camera. Same type of crowd as the all*star game. The wheelchair Chicago Bulls put on an exhibition at halftime and a dance troupe performed. Something worth photographing, for sure.

Yeah, Closs wore his D-League socks last night. Huh?!? He played well in Buffalo?!? I think he blocked two shots all night last night. One was from a 5'9" point guard...but the point guard was scoring over and around him all night. He is funny though and the fans like to get on him about his weight (or lack thereof).

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:03 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Los Angeles sent their scrubs?!? Los Angeles sent Billy Knight (formerly of UCLA). Knight won the three-point shooting contest.[/quote]

I was referring mostly to L.A.'s other players in the game (A.J. Diggs/Givens/Minor/Oliver), though Knight was pretty much invisible in the game itself. L.A.'s players might be the reason they lost the game... They shot a combined 16-of-50 according to the box score.
On that final note: Why should Gary change the three-point line and give up their home court advantage? They've been winning so far without altering a thing on the court surface.
You don't think the league should have a consistent 3-point line in every venue they play in? I'd be in favor of having the NBA or FIBA line in every venue because the goal of the league is to try to develop players, but when different venues have different scoring distances, it makes statistics meaningless.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]No pics from last night and I'm kicking myself. Forgot the camera. Same type of crowd as the all*star game. The wheelchair Chicago Bulls put on an exhibition at halftime and a dance troupe performed. Something worth photographing, for sure.

Yeah, Closs wore his D-League socks last night. Huh?!? He played well in Buffalo?!? I think he blocked two shots all night last night. One was from a 5'9" point guard...but the point guard was scoring over and around him all night. He is funny though and the fans like to get on him about his weight (or lack thereof).[/quote]

He is quite the character, and the site to look at lol, but the kids love him and so do the fans.

Yeah he played well here in Buffalo last year. Once we got him we went on a 8 game win streak, and knocked off the Jacksonville Jam, who was the #2 seed in the playoffs. This was when the ABA was somewhat decent and before the PBL came around lol

He didn't put up big scoring numbers with us, but he didn't have to, we had scorers, he just played solid D with 10+ rbs and like 6+ blocks per game to go along with 7-12 pts. If we needed him to score though, he could easily put up 20 ppg. Hes got good touch and has a nice shot for a big man. It also helps that he is 7'3" !!

I feel though that his mindset and attitude can set his game back, thankfully he was on the right path in Buffalo and enjoyed it here, I guess hes had some trouble, and drama with other teams hes been with. I guess thats what happens when you have the life and past that hes had. Maybe he was fine in Buffalo because he was surrounded with other guys like him, and we had some real headcases, and guys who had lousy pasts on the Silverbacks - it always entertaining to watch them come together on gameday and put on a show!

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:33 pm

[quote=""besl""]I was referring mostly to L.A.'s other players in the game (A.J. Diggs/Givens/Minor/Oliver), though Knight was pretty much invisible in the game itself. L.A.'s players might be the reason they lost the game... They shot a combined 16-of-50 according to the box score.

You don't think the league should have a consistent 3-point line in every venue they play in? I'd be in favor of having the NBA or FIBA line in every venue because the goal of the league is to try to develop players, but when different venues have different scoring distances, it makes statistics meaningless.[/quote]

Well, actually I do think the league should have a consistent 3-point line in every venue. I just don't think it's that important in a league that stresses saving money. Time is money. The time it takes a staffer to tape new 3-point lines is time that could be used to regain lost season ticket holders or some other possible revenue generating activity. The rims are the same height throughout the league, right? I follow independent league baseball. The diamonds are the same, but beyond that every ballpark has different dimensions.

homeboypla
Site Admin

Bellingham, Stupid Idea to go to ALL Star Game !!

Post by homeboypla » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:21 am

Way to go Vancouver I wish you the best, stupid Bellingham sent players to the All Star game and now they lose a huge game. This could be the thing that does not get you the first seed in the Western Division playoffs and a much tougher seeding.

With two wins for the remaining Explosion Games, and one more loss from Edmonton the Explosion finish ahead of you. HAHAHAHAHAH. Chill watch out as Vancouver has your number...

Next year SLAM do not send players to a mid season all-star game that means nothing.....

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:28 am

[quote=""homeboypla""]Way to go Vancouver I wish you the best, stupid Bellingham sent players to the All Star game and now they lose a huge game. This could be the thing that does not get you the first seed in the Western Division playoffs and a much tougher seeding.

Next year SLAM do not send players to a mid season all-star game that means nothing.....[/quote]

I dunno, according to the box score on the Slam's website (here) the three All-Stars combined for 61 points and 38 rebounds, so I doubt they were the reason they lost.

If you think about it, if they didn't go to the All-Star game, they still have to make a 5 hour van ride south on I-5. What's worse, a drive on I-5 or a flight from Gary, Indiana?

ChurchSocks
Site Admin

Post by ChurchSocks » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Great site-- I just found this forum and really glad to read some serious conversation on the league and the Steelheads. I have been to many Steelheads games including the Allstar game. I was dissappointed there was such a anemic crowd but watching Royce lite everyone up was a lot of fun.
My user name comes courtesy of the "the Swamp" when a player came out with white shoes and black socks - the fans yelled "hey you playing with your church socks on?"
All the players were laughing~ CS

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:52 pm

[quote=""tbayz1""]Keith BOSS Closs...

He played really good here in Buffalo last year, a fan favorite, and he is very funny on and off the court :)

He played in the D-League this past season, he had a decent season. He put up some decent numbers when he got more playing time.

Got any pics from last night Ken?[/quote]

Keith BONG Closs is more appropriate!

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

As a matter of fact, here are a few more pics from the game.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:28 pm

[quote=""homeboypla""]hahahahaha None of the names in the boxscore for the West are stars besides bellingham and most would not even make it on some teams...

hehehhehehe This is so funny. The IBL Commsioner is just insaine now and it seems the Explosion is looking for another league to play in as they are FEED up.

I didn't much care for the IBL myself but I do like my team and if the IBL looses good teams they should fold up or let someone else run this league.

It looks like the game was empty did anyone show up..??

I love this artilce so TRUE....
http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1003831,IBLside.article

Seems the Explosion is working with other teams on a possible new league that is owner ran instead of one man calling the shots. I hope they get something or I will have to go back to watching --- NOTHING as the SONICS are gone also -----[/quote]

Gary Steelheads player dunking over the opposition. That seems to happen alot, even when it's not an exhibition like the all*star game. LOL.

Number 15 in the red and white is Shon Williams of the Edmonton Chill. Number 23 in the Elkhart blue and gold is one of the players from China. Number 11 in the Gary blue and gold is Shaun Fountain. Number 35 in the Gary blue and gold is Quinnell Brown.

Keith Closs, Keith Gayden, Sam Mack, Kenyon Gamble, Cedric Moodie, Anthony "Pig" Miller, and other notables didn't play in the all*star game but are ALL in the IBL. Haven't most of these guys played in the CBA also? My point?!? How can the present CBA be considered a more talent-laden league than the IBL when player personnel seems to be approximately the same? Just an observation.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: player observations

Return to “IBL”