Acra Out As GM

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
jbirdmontana
Site Admin

Post by jbirdmontana » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Ryan you did a good job in Great Falls and I truely apprechiate you in being part of bringing pro basketball to Great Falls. Good luck in whatever you are going to do next. And of the critisism on here, we are fans, that is what we do is critize, it is nothing personal. If you are a fan now, let me know what you would do different right now with the team, the attendence is absolutely terrible this season.

sj2u
Site Admin

Status in GF

Post by sj2u » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm

I am in Great Falls and have some direct knowledge of the status of the team.

First, let me say that it's a real shame Ryan is no longer with the Explorers as GM - he did a phenomenal job in a really, really tough situation (from day one, not just after the change in ownership).

He stuck it out, even when, with the previous ownership in place, he had to max out his personal credit cards to cover expenses.

The Cavalry is not the only CBA team not acting in a fiscally responsible manner. The CBA head office needs to do an audit of each of its teams' finances, because the owners in this league are shady, shady, shady!!!

psbf
Site Admin

I'm sure

Post by psbf » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:46 pm

there are some who may agree with you, sj2u. I'm curious, though, what you mean by 'shady' and do you know this for a fact or just an opinion? If fact, what proof?

MontanaFella
Site Admin

A little proof

Post by MontanaFella » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:19 pm

I own a home in Great Falls and use a property management company to rent it out and collect the payments.

This same company is the one that the team used to find its housing for players, the leases were signed by Ryan Acra as directed by the new owner Michael Tuckman, as of today, no rent has been paid, the only money paid was by Ryan himself for the deposits which I am guessing he has not seen. The people who own the rentals are angry and the Explorers have been told they will be removed from the homes by the sherrif's department.

Also, I would for the state of Montana. As of now, Mr. Tuckman has yelled at, belittled, and cussed at the woman at the workers' compensation desk. The Explorers, from my knowledge, are playing with no workers' comp insurance.

I am sure there is a ton more out there as I am just a fan who lives in Helena and travels to Great Falls regularly for work.

Sounds shady to me.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:46 pm

From what I've heard about Tuckman, I'm not surprised.

sj2u
Site Admin

Post by sj2u » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:31 am

[quote=""psbf""]there are some who may agree with you, sj2u. I'm curious, though, what you mean by 'shady' and do you know this for a fact or just an opinion? If fact, what proof?[/quote]

Hi PSBF... I had business dealings with Joe Clark last year (and have two friends who coach two separate CBA teams). I know that it was close to impossible to get paid in the business deal I was involved with - the only way to finally get the funds was to deal with Kazumi Clark's brother (who's also involved in Apex).

Additionally, because of my friends who coach, I have learned that Joe is not the only owner who operates in the red and doesn't honor his commitments. From personal experience, this league seems to be in real trouble and the only way I could see for the owners and teams to get past it would be to have some heat and light shed on their business dealings and also on how they treat their players and coaches. :(

psbf
Site Admin

I respect

Post by psbf » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:54 am

your thoughts and experiences, sj2u. Maybe there is something going on with the league(I'm not prepared to go one way or the other on that thought). What I do know is that my team is doing better this season, which I want to enjoy. I know that attendence is down for many teams, including mine(Xplosion). The way I see it, though, we are much better off here(CBA) than in the ABA(where we began). I'm glad that I have a team to show my support for.

heavesrock
Site Admin

Post by heavesrock » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:47 am

You know psbf, it's not really necessary to make 5-10 posts per day either saying the same thing or nothing at all.
Vermont Frost Heaves fan site: http://freewebs.com/frostheavesfans

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:15 am

I didn't know you spent the day counting, rock.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:17 am

I think that it is clear that there are pretty big problems in the CBA....

OK Calvary--- Questions to say the least, rumors of players not getting paid players quiting because there coach was fired because supposedly people weren't paid.

Great Falls--- Tuckman is a shady guy but he is a in a tuff situation there... Apex who I thought had a right idea to get multiple teams and sell them off as there value raises didn't work well... They have 1 team left and started with who knows how many.... I think like said previously its hard to buy a team when he bought it basically alienating the sponsors and other people in the community. Also his shady past probably didn't help matters

Atlanta--- Who knows rumors were they weren't being paid then there were rumors that the pay was coming then there was no rumors.....

Yakama--- Who is by far the best team on the court and actually has a fan base is owned by a tribe that who kicked out the members who approved the buying of the team and who has made bad business deals in other areas... If Yakama is sold it would be tough for an owner to pass up the Dleague for a league like the CBA who has notable problems

Pittsburgh-- Nobody shows up they play in 2 seperate arenas (both are 2 big for a CBA team) but are barely noticeable in the community....

The CBA has never been great with stability from year to year but have had little cases of players not being paid or teams rumored to be in trouble like they have had last year and this year. I am beginning to wonder if the league is in real trouble... They use to be able to compete pretty even with the Dleague but now they don't have players called up and don't have fans showing up....

Return to “CBA”