The CBA's tenth team is...

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

The CBA's tenth team is...

Post by Chuck the Writer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:02 pm

The Rio Grande Valley Silverados, who will play in the CBA beginning in the 2007-08 season.

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3517228

This brings the CBA up to ten franchises for 07-08, the most franchises that have started a CBA season since 2000-01.

psbf
Site Admin

It's good

Post by psbf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:08 am

to see RGV added, welcome aboard Silverados. But I must be missing a team, if it's at ten. 1) Albany Platoons 2) Butte Daredevils 3) Xplosion 4) Great Falls Explorers 5) Yakama SunKings 6) Oklahoma Cavalry 7) Pikesville Miners 8) Minot Sky Rockets 9) Rio Grand Valley Silverados. Indiana is out this season for purpose of relocation.

Aaronhere
Site Admin

What is this CBA Mexico?????

Post by Aaronhere » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:18 am

"On behalf of all of our member teams I want to welcome the Silverados into the CBA," said CBA Acting Commissioner Jim Coyne. "They give us a regional rival for the Oklahoma Cavalry and let us return to Texas. Art and Kevin are fine owners who will do an outstanding job this season. They have a great building and the fans will be seeing great CBA action all season long."

"Art and Kevin have put together an outstanding ownership group," said CBA Properties CEO and President Ricardo A. Richardson. "This expansion franchise is another important step toward achieving our goal of having CBA teams competing regionally. Rio Grande will also connect the CBA to Mexico as we establish the CBA Mexico league next year. The Silverados are fortunate to be playing in a state-of-the-art arena, which will enable us to bring high-level basketball and first class entertainment to a community that is passionate about its basketball and hungry for quality entertainment. Opening Night will be the place to be in McAllen."
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 am

[quote=""psbf""]to see RGV added, welcome aboard Silverados. But I must be missing a team, if it's at ten. 1) Albany Platoons 2) Butte Daredevils 3) Xplosion 4) Great Falls Explorers 5) Yakama SunKings 6) Oklahoma Cavalry 7) Pikesville Miners 8) Minot Sky Rockets 9) Rio Grand Valley Silverados. Indiana is out this season for purpose of relocation.[/quote]
The alignment, as I see it, is:
EAST
Albany Patroons
Atlanta Krunk
East Kentucky Miners
Minot SkyRockets
Pittsburgh Xplosion
WEST
Butte Daredevils
Great Falls Explorers
Oklahoma Cavalry
Rio Grande Valley Silverados
Yakama SunKings
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

psbf
Site Admin

I'd love

Post by psbf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:25 am

to see the league grow to at least 10 teams. But I have yet to see anything official on Atlanta joining. I hope it comes soon.

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:33 am

psbf
Site Admin

I've seen

Post by psbf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:25 am

that release, but I've not seen any press releases that say Atlanta has offically joined. What will satisfy me is when they drop Indiana's link and add Atlanta's on the front page. I've seen that they added Rio Grand valley.

panchess
Site Admin

Atlanta joined last season...

Post by panchess » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:37 pm

..though they became a "B" member and did not eventually play. The Krunk have been participating in league meetings and presumably are a member in good standing.

Not to be cynical, but 10 teams drafted last season, and only eight played. I won't count the official number for the season until they all play a game.

Indiana is supposed to be on hiatus for a season, so a notation in the directory that they are a 2008-2009 team would be sufficient for me.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Wow! Cue the CBA to Illustrate my point

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Right on cue to prove my point. This from a PBL thread:
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... 521&page=2

[quote=""psbf""]was not such a franchise killer, Ken?? I think you're confusing leagues here. The ABA is the one that is losing teams. The CBA is growing stronger.[/quote]

Growing stronger at what?--should be the question. This one's really TOO obvious considering the situation with Hidalgo and McAllen, so I'll only comment further on this quote from the press release:
"On behalf of all of our member teams I want to welcome the Silverados into the CBA," said CBA Acting Commissioner Jim Coyne. "They give us a regional rival for the Oklahoma Cavalry and let us return to Texas.
I spent more than a few years stationed in central Texas so I didn't need to do a mapquest. The only thing regional about Lawton, OK and the extreme southern Texas gulf coast is that they are both in the same time zone.

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:05 pm

I haven't been to Texas, so I mapquested it. 11 hours, six minutes from Lawton, so it's not close at all.

And yes, I know about the Krunk's history. I'm just saying that the league is putting out releases saying things such as "for the 2007-2008 season," while he says he hasn't seen anything official. If they play, I doubt they'll be the class of the league.
Last edited by CRUSADERSFAN on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Punctuation.

Return to “CBA”