Oklahoma Finds A Home

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:44 pm

[quote=""psbf""]upbeat, why do you always post negative on here? It would be nice if you could actually give the CBA a chance.
As far as the public, which you claim to know, I think you would be in for a surprise. I'm going to take a chance and say that the Cavalry will have some good support. I don't think you know the public as well as you claim to, Ken.[/quote]

He's not saying that the Cavs won't be a draw. He's saying that the military won't be a key factor in their success.

psbf
Site Admin

I'm sure

Post by psbf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:01 pm

they will not be a huge factor. Maybe they will not be a factor. But what it looked like he was saying is that the Military will be too busy to attend any games, which I disagree with.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:56 pm

[quote=""psbf""]upbeat, why do you always post negative on here? It would be nice if you could actually give the CBA a chance.
As far as the public, which you claim to know, I think you would be in for a surprise. I'm going to take a chance and say that the Cavalry will have some good support. I don't think you know the public as well as you claim to, Ken.[/quote]

Gee. I don't think of it as being negative. I think of it as dealing with reality. Maybe you're right. Maybe I don't know the general public as well as I claim to. It will be boom times for minor league hoops if I'm proven wrong though and I haven't been proven wrong yet. Well, I predicted the Steelheads would defeat Yakama for the 2006 CBA Championship, but I'm a lousy handicapper (and a bit of a homer).

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

When I was.....

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:01 am

in the military the only minor league games I attended was the United States Navy Drinking Games! But even if I won I lost the next morning! jack

psbf
Site Admin

That sounds like

Post by psbf » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 am

it was your choice, Utah. I've seen members of services of all kinds at many Xplosion home games(all who serve this country in some form). So I know that they do attend games.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:04 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Generally speaking, military personnel (especially on training bases like Fort Sill) don't have the time or money to support minor league sports. Fort Sill won't be a factor.

Families?!? Maybe, but most of the people on Army bases live in barracks away from their families. Housing for married couples is at a premium. BTW, were those military people you saw season ticket holders? Just curious.

I don't know about the other industries in Lawton, but don't count on a lot of ticket sales from Fort Sill.[/quote]

I know of alot of Soldiers, single and married with families, that travel to Dallas to see NASCAR races, go to Six Flags over Texas, got to Texas Rangers Baseball games and Dallas Cowboy games, go to Concerts and more, so if they can afford to go to those things, then I would assume that they can afford to go to a CBA game here in Lawton.

Now, If Ft. Sill was an ordinary military Army installation like Ft. Hood, then I would have to agree with Ken, but it isn't anything like Ft. Hood.

Ft. Sill does have its Basic Training area where the soldiers are living in barracks. They are usually are the lowest paid in the Army and can only go where the Drill Sergeant allows them to go.

Ft. Sill also has regular Army units, Non-Commisioned Officers Training Courses at two diferent levels, Officer Training Courses at several different levels and Warrant Officer Training courses. All of which constantly have soldiers coming to the post for long periods of time.

Yes, Single soldiers in the regular Army units do live in barracks, but are not required to do so so there are alot of them that also rent houses or apartments off the installation.
Housing for married couples is at a premium on the installation but more housing areas are being built for them as we chat and rent for apartments and houses off the installation are lower than what one might think. Heck, even some of them are buying houses because the housing market is at a premium here.

Granted, the Military members might not buy season tickets but they can buy the tickets at the door, consessions and sovouniers things that put extra money in the owners pocket to help keep the team profitable.

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

All I am saying....

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am

is most young men in the military have other things on their minds. Like girls, having fun and girls. I think that marketing to the base would be a good idea, but I would doubt a strong season ticket sales base would come from the military. The longest I stayed in one place while in the military was a year and even then we were deployed away from our base.
The local community is where your fan base will come, those who have deposable income and are rooted in the area.
Short term promotions may bring in a better crowd for that night but a long term strategy for season ticket sales will bring stability to any franchise. Offer deals through the schools, PAL, Scouts etc. get the kids in and the parents will follow. Nothing earth shattering in any of this but be commited to the cause if you want success. Good Luck!
Remember our troops, jack and cheryl.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:51 am

[quote=""psbf""]it was your choice, Utah. I've seen members of services of all kinds at many Xplosion home games(all who serve this country in some form). So I know that they do attend games.[/quote]

How did you know they were service men and women? They were in uniform, right? If they were in uniform then they were being honored, they were part of the color guard, or they were from one of the local recruiting offices. In other words, they probably didn't pay to get in. No ticket sales. Geez, psbf! I sure hope you take photos this year. A picture speaks a thousand words.

OKCAVS67,
If you're trying to convince me that soldiers have money to spend like regular folks (civilians), then I'm not convinced (and am not likely to be convinced). The Cowboys, Rangers, and Six Flags are one thing. Minor league hoops is another.

psbf
Site Admin

The Xplosion

Post by psbf » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:31 pm

have a program where anyone who does a service for our country(police, fire, military, etc.) get in free-which I feel is well deserved. Free or not, they come. If you have a problem with that, Ken, I'm sorry to hear. I have a high respect for them and I'm glad to see their support when they can.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:43 pm

[quote=""psbf""]have a program where anyone who does a service for our country(police, fire, military, etc.) get in free-which I feel is well deserved. Free or not, they come. If you have a problem with that, Ken, I'm sorry to hear. I have a high respect for them and I'm glad to see their support when they can.[/quote]

I rest my case.

Return to “CBA”