Oklahoma Finds A Home

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

You don't

Post by psbf » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:53 pm

have a case, Ken. But if you want to rest, that's fine.

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

If you market to...

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Police and Fire then I would believe you. These groups are fiercely loyal to their sports teams. They also tend to remain in the community for years as they have a career in the community. If you can get into a sponsorship with a credit union of these groups then you have a natural means to bring in these groups. Just a few ideas. Good Luck, jack

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]

OKCAVS67,
If you're trying to convince me that soldiers have money to spend like regular folks (civilians), then I'm not convinced (and am not likely to be convinced). The Cowboys, Rangers, and Six Flags are one thing. Minor league hoops is another.[/quote]

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just stating facts because I use to be one of those soldiers. I would spend my little bit of extra money going to Dallas to see Major league games, Oklahoma City to see minor leagues games or Norman to see OU Football games. For years I wished that Lawton would have some kind of something so I wouldn't have to drive so freaking far and spend extra $$ on gas and hotel stays.

I wouldn't count on soldiers buying up season tickets, but they should be figured in on single ticket sales, expecially since they are offering discounts to the military.
If the CAVS owners put a good product on the floor, the seats will be filled.

The only concern I would have at this point is that fact that single game tickets are going to be $15.00. That might be high for a product that has not been proven or even seen. We don't even have players to get to know.
Bring that down to $6 or $8 then it might be better

psbf
Site Admin

That is high

Post by psbf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:10 am

I stopped going to Pgh. Penguin games when they hit $20 per seat. You should contact the Cavs and voice your concern. If they are wise they will listen to their fans.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:28 pm

[quote=""OKCAVS67""]I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just stating facts because I use to be one of those soldiers. I would spend my little bit of extra money going to Dallas to see Major league games, Oklahoma City to see minor leagues games or Norman to see OU Football games. For years I wished that Lawton would have some kind of something so I wouldn't have to drive so freaking far and spend extra $$ on gas and hotel stays.

I wouldn't count on soldiers buying up season tickets, but they should be figured in on single ticket sales, expecially since they are offering discounts to the military.

The only concern I would have at this point is that fact that single game tickets are going to be $15.00. That might be high for a product that has not been proven or even seen. We don't even have players to get to know.
Bring that down to $6 or $8 then it might be better[/quote]

Yeah, I'm a veteran too (former 11Bravo...let's see if anyone else besides you can guess THAT one ;) ), as you may already know. I hung-out at Fort Hood WAYYYYY too much, as you may also already know. I made some of the same off-duty trips that you made, but didn't make them often because we just didn't have the time (or money for that matter). There are always exceptions and you seem to be one of them. Jack (utahstarsticketholder) seems to have nailed off-duty life on the button. If chicks and (ahem...ahem) fun weren't involved then it wasn't worth doing.
No, it doesn't work like that. The arena certainly won't be filled at $15 a pop either as you already suspect. Red flags went up on this organization long ago when they tried to locate in Oklahoma City without getting permission to do so from the city government.

...but I'm often seen as a negative person instead of someone who might have a clue, so I'll leave it alone.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:44 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Yeah, I'm a veteran too (former 11Bravo...let's see if anyone else besides you can guess THAT one ;) ), as you may already know. [/quote]
Former 13 Fox here.
Life at Ft. Riley Kansas and Ft. Knox Kentucky was nothing to brag about, club life and BBQ's on the weekends unless you travel 50 - 100 miles to have some real fun.

At least the CAVS are just a few stop lights away. I think if the the Owners of the CAVS can put a decent team on the floor, have good promotions and entertain the crowd, then maybe it will work.

The $15 per for the cheap seats is going to be the kicker. I have 3 teenage kids that would like to go to games, so it will already be $60 just to get in the door. No telling how much the drinks and eats are going to be.

Everyone in and around Lawton is excited about the CAVS, and from what the local news channel is saying, tickets are selling at a pretty good pace.

We can all guess this and that, but until that first night, there is no telling what is going to happen.

DIFFERENT SUBJECT>>>PLAYERS
What kind of player talent level are exected to sign with the CAVS? Just out of college, former NBA players or guys that just couldn't make it to the NBA? Just wondering?
Last edited by OKCAVS67 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

psbf
Site Admin

It sounds

Post by psbf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:57 am

like you will have a good opening crowd. But the Cavs will need to have a decent team to keep the curiosity seekers coming back and turn them into fans.
Last season, the Xplosion had a good competitive team, even though we only won 2 of our first 20 games. I was one of the few who turned out at every game(as frustrating as it was to watch). I hope Oklahoma gives Lawton something worth watching. If your fans are diehards, they will turnout no matter what the team is like. I would like to see them have solid good crowds.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:51 pm

On one hand, a lot more troops coming home with combat or hazard duty pay means something. Of course, one of the spouses I work with decided to use that money for a Disney cruise. Funny how that works. There's also bound to be a chief or two that organizes a group party to trip down to Vegas for the NASCAR race. There's not a Stampede (or Idaho Steelheads or Boise Hawks) word uttered, hardly ever... but there's substantial competition for the NFL pools (though I wonder if that's still going to go since the base paper just got shut down and became totally electronic). The one time I know there's a substantial military presence at a local sporting event is when the Humanitarian Bowl gives tickets away to the base because anyone other than Boise State is there.

I'm sure you see military folks at sporting events. So do I. Do you see them in significant numbers? That's the issue... and that's where Ken has a point. Now, ask me about Mountain Home High School.

psbf
Site Admin

I have

Post by psbf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:10 pm

no doubt that the military will not make a significant impact on the Cavs. But any turnout they make is better than none, is my point. But I'm sure Lawton has enough fans to make an impact.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Way off topic, but "psbf" what was the Xplosions avg attendence? Season highs/lows? Must have been $$ to be in the Melon Arena
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

Return to “CBA”