Which teams should come back from the past?

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum

Which teams from the past would you like to see back in the CBA?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Rapid City Thrillers
35%
Grand Rapids Hoops/Mackers
12%
Rockford Lightning
18%
Connecticut Pride
6%
Quad City Thunder
6%
Omaha Racers
No votes
Wichita Falls Texans
6%
Wyoming Wildcatters
6%
La Crosse Catbirds/Bobcats
6%
Wisconsin Flyers
6%

Total votes: 17

Aaronhere
Site Admin

Which teams should come back from the past?

Post by Aaronhere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:46 pm

With Gary and Oklahoma City coming back (or not in the case of Oklahoma City), which cities would you like to see come back to the CBA from the past? The criteria are:
1 - Nostalgia
2 - Likelihood of success economically
3 - Will make the CBA stronger

Opine below on your choices, or any that I may have missed...

I threw in the Flyers only because of sentimental value.
Last edited by Aaronhere on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 pm

The two I know would be a good fit are:
1. Rapid City Thrillers
2. Grand Rapids Hoops

They MIGHT want to look into the Fargo-Moorhead Beez and Great Lakes Storm...
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:15 pm

The Great lakes Storm/Flint Fuze was a disaster, and it was owned by Chris Webber at the end. I think more East Coast for road trips to coincide with Albany, which of course would be CT, but who knows, they folded a couple of teams and once midseason (or twice?)
________
Hyde Park Residence 2 Pattaya
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

psbf
Site Admin

I would like

Post by psbf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 pm

to see a few of the past teams back, but I'm going with the Quad City Thunder.
As far as the LaCrosse Catbirds, apparently it's been forgotten that they moved here to become the Pittsburgh Piranhas for one season(and would have lasted if not for their owner, Bob Murphy).

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:44 pm

I suspect Rapid City would do the best, and Grand Rapids, too. I'm not quite sure on Quad City.

Letzplayball
Site Admin

Post by Letzplayball » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:06 am

I voted Rapid City. They had such a strong fan base.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:12 am

How about the Great lakes Storm? They were short-lived, but they were placed in a great area - near Saginaw, MI, and had some big hype in the area having Jimmy King play, and also I think Chris Webber was considering investing in the team (probably because of his boy King). Anyway, Webber is playing in Detroit now. The North/Midwest seems to have a solid number of teams, and with Gary coming back, that would help that area as far as travel goes. I don't know...just thought I'd chime in! I'm not a big CBA expert.

psbf
Site Admin

I don't

Post by psbf » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:43 am

consider myself an expert on the CBA either, but I do take an interest in the opponents that my teams play.
When the Piranhas competed, the league had; Hartford, Ft. Wayne, Harrisburg, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Quad City, Rockford, in the American Conference and Sioux Falls, Tri-City, Rapid City, Yakama, Mexico, Oklahoma City, Omaha and Shreveport(taken out of the Piranhas 1995 program).
The Xplosion played teams such as, Kentucky, Toledo(among 4 Ohio teams) and Indiana.
I would like to see the X play 'regional' teams again like they did in the ABA, instead of having to travel afar. Having more teams in the Midwest would be great. But I'm curious where the Alley Cats will move to.

indy legend
Site Admin

returning CBA teams

Post by indy legend » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:21 am

I would like to see Rockford ,Grand Rapids and LaCrosse return. They would recreate a great rivalry with Gary. I'd also like to see Evansville return along with Quad City and Omaha although that might be a tough sell as popular as Creighton is in that city.
Out east with Albany and Pittsburg I'd like to see Connecticut but have them play ay Mohegan Sun Arena. That area does a good job supporting the WNBA Sun and is a real hotbed for college hoops with UConn. I'd also like to see Harrisburg as a natural rival to Pittsburg.
Out west I think it would be great to have Rapid City in a division with Minot,Great Falls, Butte and Yakima.
As far as what's happening with the AlleyCats there is some talk locally that they are looking at some different venues in Indianapolis like the Coliseum, Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler University or possibly Nicoson Hall at the University of Indianapolis on the south side of town that seats around 4000. Those are about the only options in Indy other than the Convention Center without playing at a high school gym.

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:31 am

I think Wheeling would be a more suitable rival for Pittsburgh. Only 45 minutes away, so fans can travel back and forth if they want to, a more suitable arena (I understand that Harrisburg's as a dirt floor), and they're also at the hub of a metropolitan area (though I wouldn't be surprised if Harrisburg's is much larger).

And Legend, I'm sure you won't object to the Cats staying around, but would Indianapolis support them?

Return to “CBA”