Pikesville

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 am

[quote=""logoguru""]How do you figure?[/quote]

I was being sarcastic but I have thought it over... I think you could stick a CBA franchise in Sioux Falls (not shure about Bismark) and have a 2,000-2,500average... Sponsorship might be a different story.... What i'm saying is that I think there are better options than Pikesville because I myself who has hurd of every descent size city and every suburb hasn't heard of Pikesville.

psbf
Site Admin

Here's a thought

Post by psbf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:44 am

Before they were re-named, the Pikesville team(EKM, Miami) was moved to South Florida after being the Pa. Pittbulls of the ABA, playing right here in Pgh with no promotion and no real website. Maybe their owner would like to move them back to Pa. to Altoona(only a couple hours East of here)? It would be a nice rivalry for the Xplosion.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:56 pm

[quote=""jwalters""]
Oh and keeping with the financial facts the Per Capita Income in Pike County is only $14,000. Yes you read that right. When you consider that if this team has only a $750,000 budget which would be the league low the team would have to average 2,500 fans at $10 per ticket just to break even. That is considering the possibility that they sell $100,000 in sponsorships and pay everyone in the organization the league minimum. Conclusion: It is not possible.[/quote]

You all have the facts right on Pike County, but...you don't have the facts on Pikeville, the city itself. Pike County is a very large county. If I'm not mistaken, it's the largest of the state. Sure, the overall per capita is low for the county, but the per capita of Pikeville itself much higher (I'll be getting you some facts on that when I get time to dig a little). Pikeville was named one of the top 100 towns to live in a few years back, and it has only gotten better.

I speak generally from my own experience - I lived there for 6 years. They are crazy about basketball in that part of the state. Oh, and don't be fooled...there are more counties near that region than Pike County. It's nothing for a family to jump in the car and drive a good distance to see a good ball game. If the team is marketed right, they will clear 3,00 plus fans easily!

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 pm

[quote=""zeke41""] If the team is marketed right, they will clear 3,000 plus fans easily![/quote]

Houston we have a problem! TSEG is not really into the whole marketing thing.
See the Alley Cats...
They did a great job in fla. using Tim Hardaway as a drawing card, but I think they have kicked him to the curb due to his dislike of the word fabulous and anyone that uses it on a regular basis.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

psbf
Site Admin

I think

Post by psbf » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:38 pm

the team would get more supporters playing at Pikes Peak, than Pikesville.

kyguy378
Site Admin

Post by kyguy378 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:54 am

First of all it's Pikeville, not Pikesville. Second, the per capita income of Pikeville is 22000, Owensborough is 17000 if we are dirt poor what are you. The buzz around here for the Miners is incredible. We here in Pikeville and Pike County are thrilled,many people I have talked to are already talking about buying season tickets. People not from Kentucky cannot understand the fever that is basketball in this state. The Miners will flourish in Pikeville and be at the top of the league in attendence.

psbf
Site Admin

No offense

Post by psbf » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:36 am

intended, Kyguy. Pikes Peak is the name of a mountain top, which is completely different from Pikesville. I was trying to use it in humor.
I hope you do lead the league in attendence, but I would wait for the season to begin in 5 months, before making such a bold prediction though. But I'm glad you are proud of your town(which I can't find on the map, although I know it is near Chattanooga). I'm a proud supporter of the Pittsburgh Xplosion. I look forward to learning more about the Miners, as I'm sure we all will.

kyguy378
Site Admin

Post by kyguy378 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:55 am

I'm sorry I get so upset but it seems like everytime some one talks about Eastern Kentucky it's negative. Movies, new stories, and other things cast such a negative light on us here that it's pathetic. I have lived here most of my life and I can tell you it's not that bad at all. Yes there are poor people here but it's not because there is such a lack of jobs. Most people here are on welfare because there parents were on welfare, and there parents before them. It's the only way they know. The average Pike Countian is a hard working person who makes a descent living and is basketball crazy. We have nothing but the University of Kentucky to cheer for unlike other cities that have various pro, semi-pro, and college teams to root for. The Miners will do well because it's all we have. By the way Pike's Peak and Pikeville along with Pike County where all names for the same person. Zeboulan Pike an explorer in the 1800's.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:40 pm

I knew the buzz for the Miners had to be strong in Pikeville. Hey, any word on how to get in touch with a contact responsible for the team in Pikeville?

kyguy378
Site Admin

Post by kyguy378 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:57 pm

Don' know of the contact yet but i will keep you guys informed.

Return to “CBA”