A league promise

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Whatever

Post by psbf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:11 am

Juicemann13, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when I see the Xplosion mentioned in a negative way, I'm going to stand up for them. I'm a proud season ticket holder and I have been to all of their home games and I see the improvement they make every game.
Go root for your Kings. The Xplosion are proving to be better than their record and I'm glad to bring it to the attention of anyone who does not notice that. As I say, I've been to all of their home games, which qualifies me to do that. They will be back next season!!

Juicemann13
Site Admin

Post by Juicemann13 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:46 am

I commend you for standing up for your team. Shows true commitment, and I'm glad to see you have that for your team. Commitment is also shown when you say you have season tickets. Not to many 'regular' people do that these days.
(regular meaning people that don't own the team or are apart of the team in some way)

I want to digress and apologize for saying what I said earlier. I understand what I said was a negative thing, and contained no facts. Your right, I don't attend games, so I don't know. I do notice that when they lose, the score is pretty close. At a lot of heart breakers is tough, yet it gains the attention of the crowd for more support in the end in future games.

I wish best of luck to the X for next years return.

No hard feelings?

psbf
Site Admin

peace

Post by psbf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:08 pm

That's cool, Juicemann13, and thankyou. No hard feelings here either. :)

panchess
Site Admin

Record means nothing..

Post by panchess » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:21 pm

..remember Butte was pretty bad before the All-Star break too.

The problem in Pittsburgh may or may not be the size of the crowds, but is definitely the size of the arenas. The CBA All-Star Game can't fill a 15,000 seat arena (wishing it was otherwise), and having a bunch of empty seats isn't a good idea for this kind of event.

There has to be a 5,000-7,000 seat arena in Pittsburgh that the Xplosion can make their own, and build a following. If people don't have any incentive to buy season tickets, they won't, and attendance suffers.

psbf
Site Admin

Possible

Post by psbf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:07 pm

I hear you, Panchess. I feel that the more improvement the Xplosion get, the more attention they will find. Unfortunately, the X are in the midst of a contract with their venues so I'm trying to help promote them. I do see the turnouts gettling larger at some games, gradually.
As far as smaller arenas, there are not many around here. I do know of one that has not been used for a while and it seems to need refirbishing. I have notified the Xplosion of this and I've yet to hear back. I think it would be perfect, but we'll see. They have to wait for their lease to expire anyway, which leaves them 3 more years at their current venues, unless they can find a way out of it. But I feel more wins will help their cause, until then.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:44 pm

What about Duquesne or even Robert Morris? Their arenas should be about the right size.

Dave

psbf
Site Admin

No choice

Post by psbf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:34 pm

The Duquesne Dukes play at the A.J. Palumbo Center, which is where the Pittsburgh Piranhas(95) called home for a season and I watched attendence grow for them also. Unfortunately, that facility is booked, as I've read in the paper.
The Robert Morris Univ. Colonials play at Sewall Center and I have no knowledge of that place, aside from seeing a recently televised game from there. It looks nice. But the fact is that the Xplosion have a lease to play at M.A. and the Pete for 3 more seasons. But I guess that depends on how things fare with the Pens situation.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:28 pm

[quote=""psbf""]When the Xplosion joined this league, we were awarded the All-Star game in Pittsburgh for next year. I still have that article, from before the season. I read the article in today's Yakama Herald about that city being given the event, with no reason given. This makes me wonder if it is actually true, since the All-Star game represents a committment to that city. I don't know where the Herald collected facts, but if true, it means that the CBA has broken their promise to Pittsburgh and I can only hope that the story is false or they award another for the following season. Before the fans of Yakama celebrate, I would advise them to investigate the story first. If true, I would consider this to be robbery to us here in Pittsburgh.[/quote]

It's only a robbery if someone reports it. :)

Seriously, "sticking up for your team" and all that is terrific and all, but let's get realistic: Yakama consistently draws fans. Pittsburgh does not. Nor are you likely to. Blah blah blah hackles up blah blah blah. But the truth is that Pittsburgh's organization has struggled to sell tickets, whether you trot out the "I've seen improvement" line or not.

If they decided Yakama would be a better host, then so be it. Rather they change their minds and make a change now than have a poorly-attended game next year.

psbf
Site Admin

bottom line

Post by psbf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:13 pm

I respect your thoughts, Sam, but we will have the All-Star game here in 09(if you read my previous post).
I appreciate those who have expressed their support for us. For all the nay sayers, one season does not make a lifetime. I'm sure your teams have had bad seasons before and this is ours. The Xplosion will come back stronger!!

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:30 pm

[quote=""psbf""]I contacted the league about it. Pittsburgh will be hosting the following year so they can add more events to it. Yakama has it in 08.[/quote]

I don't know about you, but if someone told me a team decided to put-off hosting an all*star game next season so "they can add more events to it" the following season then I would raise a big time skeptical eyebrow. It sounds more to me like, "Heck! We probably don't have funds to start another season, yet alone sponsor an all*star game".

...but hey, that's me.

Return to “CBA”