A league promise

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

No figures

Post by psbf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:58 am

kg, I salute Yakama for being one of the two cities to survive in this league and for your fans.
As far as here in Pittsburgh, I admit that our turnouts have gone up and down but I have seen a couple games with attendence above 1,000, while most are still under that mark. They need promotions to bring out the fans. I think our largest crowd was the loss to Butte on a friday, my estimate would say about 1,500 attended that. We still have 3 more home games left.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:37 am

[quote=""psbf""]And it is a unusual for a league to switch All-Star sights(this is a first that I know of), as All-Star events are always a permanent event once set.[/quote] (emphasis mine)

Really?

Come on, how much stuff are you going to get wrong around here?

"Always" a permanent event once set?

The 2000 Major League Baseball All-Star Game was originally awarded to the Florida Marlins, but baseball pulled it and moved it to Atlanta because of the uncertainty surrounding the Marlins' franchise at the time and the stadium.

Major League Soccer moved their 2004 All-Star Game, not only from Foxboro to Washington, DC, but also changed the date in an effort to get Real Madrid as the opponent (but RM backed out).

It happens. You're absolutely not the first city to lose an All-Star Game after it has been awarded.

psbf
Site Admin

You missed

Post by psbf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 am

the part where I said as far AS FAR AS I KNOW, Sam. So please don't pretend that you know me.
I don't follow Baseball and I forgot about the MLS All-Star where Real Madrid was no show(I remember them canceling their trip with no reason given). Ok, so there have been times when it was moved, but I was thinking particularly of Basketball and the CBA when I said it.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:57 pm

You also said "always."

I don't pretend I know you. But you're wrong a lot.

And RM's reason was because they had a sub-par season that forced them to qualify for the Champions League instead of just getting a free pass into the competition (thus cutting short their preseason).

Too bad Pittsburgh lost the game. You'll get the next one. If the team is still around then.

psbf
Site Admin

pessismist you are

Post by psbf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:03 pm

We will be!

Juicemann13
Site Admin

Not to jump on board...

Post by Juicemann13 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:43 pm

...but Sams got a point.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the team is not doing so well. They have only won 6 games, when Utah folded with that many. Actually, when Utah folded, Pitts had 3 wins.

Your enthusiasm reminds me of when I loved the Sun Kings, because I met them. Did you meet your X and thats why you have such an honor toward them? Do you sit in the front row?

Who cares if they were awarded the All-Star Game, they have to have attendance to keep it. And its just one game. The whole city of Yakama doesn't turn upside down when the All-star game is there. Its not a big deal. So to host it or not to host it, its just another game.

Why don't you ask your peeps at X why they didnt get it. Maybe that will give you some closure. If you don't have your connection there, I'm sure they take emails and respond.

Again, not trying to be a jack-ass, however, I will honestly be surprised if the team is back next year.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Wins don't necesarilly have any bearing on whether a team lives or dies, just a fyi. (though winning helps bring in the fans.)
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Juicemann13
Site Admin

Post by Juicemann13 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:00 pm

[quote=""rams80""]Wins don't necesarilly have any bearing on whether a team lives or dies, just a fyi. (though winning helps bring in the fans.)[/quote]

...thus creating more a longevity for the team to stay afloat...fyi

kg21obf
Site Admin

Post by kg21obf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Juice, I have been a Sking T-holder for 4 years, and it is sad to me how the league has deteriorated. I remember a couple years ago when Dakota came in with a super squad of NBA caliber players, although they waxed the Skings it was a joy to see that quality of hoops from close up. I am very dissapointed that the NBDl rumors, apparently were just that. I think with a few NBA draftpicks and the quality of play, the SinKIngs could lead the NBDl in attendance approaching the 4000 grand level. The SunKIngs will average well over 3000 this year with Albany and whoever is 3 rd combined not reaching that level.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Geez do I have to be the voice of reason around here?

The CBA All-Star Classic has been moved at least once before in its history, as far as I can recall.

In 1983 the CBA All-Star Classic was scheduled to be held in Los Angeles (to be the pre-game entertainment for the NBA All-Star game, as is what happened in 1982 when the CBA was the pre-game entertainment for the NBA's East Rutherford NJ All-Star Classic). Well, at the last minute it was moved to Albany, which at that time was an expansion franchise. Albany hosted the event and did well with it (it was the first appearance of the "Million Dollar Shot"), and it pitted the Patroons against an all-star squad made up of the rest of the league.

As for other leagues who have lost their All-Star games for one reason or another; I seem to recall the Milwaukee Brewers losing the all-star game because their new Miller Park wouldn't be built in time; I think the Braves got the All-Star Game that year because of that.

In hockey, I recall that the San Jose Sharks were supposed to host the 1994 All-Star Game; that game was wiped out with an NHL lockout.

So Pittsburgh doesn't get the game in 2008. That just means that by the time they do get it, they'll have all their ducks in a row, there will be 3,000 to 4,000 fans a night at Mellon Arena, and the Xplosion will be fighting for the playoffs.

Heck, it took the Sun Kings a couple of years after they moved from Topeka to get on the winning track. So if the Kings can do it, so could the Xplosion.

Return to “CBA”