Yakama to the D-League?

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
MontanaFella
Site Admin

Yakama to the D-League?

Post by MontanaFella » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Word on the streets here in Montana is that Yakama will be announcing a move to the D-League. I don't know if it is just a rumor, but what we hear is that isn't a question of 'if' only 'when'. That might be a big CBA nail in the coffin. Butte's attendance is sporratic at best and even though Great Falls has great fans and sponsors, one of thier biggest supporters told me that the deal they have with their arena will make it impossible to even break even until they at least double their average attendance, they need about 2400 people a night.

All of this is hear say but it doesn't seem far fetched. Any info?

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:22 pm

The D-League has been after Yakama for two years now and the Tribe has always said "NO". Who knows maybe they are taking a long term approach now and see the D-League as the best option. The cost of operating a D-League franchise is a lot more than running a CBA team, so I did know if its in Yakama's best short term interest.
On the flip side, some of the news coming out of the CBAs headquaters has left me scratching my head a few times (mergering with a British league that does not exist, hiring ex-ABA front office executives, allowing a defunct ABA franchise entry and letting them relocating to Atlanta :eek: .....) So maybe they are ready to pack it in and head for greener pastures. IMO once comm. Stern gets the union to sign off on a High school draft and a high school draftee wage scale, D-Leafue franchises net worth will increase 20 fold.
Last edited by bectond on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowlboundgman
Site Admin

Post by bowlboundgman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:56 am

I hope they stay with the CBA. I think things are looking up. the league needs a few years without dropping losing any teams. I hope this is just a rumor.

Juicemann13
Site Admin

I personally...

Post by Juicemann13 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 am

...hope they move to the D-league, then again I'm only looking out for myself.

I lived in Yakima for 18 years until I went to college, and I used to work for them. It was the best job ever, and my career borders when I did there. I plan on working for the proposed Vancouver team, and already Emailed Mike, the President, and he said the problem is he is trying get a venue. Since I am graduating I need something when I come out, and it looks like I have to go back to Yakima for it.

And if I do, I sure hope there are in the D-league or move up soon within the next few years. I have a hunch that the CBA will merge with some other league, but I haven't done my research to find out who. It is really hard for a league to stay afloat with only 7 teams. The crowds get bored seeing the same opponents week after week.

Fells
Site Admin

Post by Fells » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 am

Hey Chuck, what is your take on this?

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:41 pm

The Tribe that runs Yakima was asked by the NBA if it wanted to be a D-league team but the Tribe said no, this makes sense because they would have to pay 250,000 or more plus 25,000 a year to join the D-league and would loose player personal control. Yakima averages around 3,000 a game which would be in the top 4 of the d-league, former cba team sf skyforce leads attendence around 3,700 game. In the near future I could see the NBA offering a lum sum of money for the cba put d-league franchises in Yakima and possibly later down the road in some of the other cities.

To answer the ? though Yakima is not planned as one of the 3/4 teams to start up in 07-08 in the D-league those teams would be Rio Grand Valley, Texas; Des Moies Iowa and Orem, Utah and the Florida Flama might restart operations if they can work a favorable stadium sitation.

sportsguy12
Site Admin

In addition to the arena issue ...

Post by sportsguy12 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:47 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]The Tribe that runs Yakima was asked by the NBA if it wanted to be a D-league team but the Tribe said no, this makes sense because they would have to pay 250,000 or more plus 25,000 a year to join the D-league and would loose player personal control. Yakima averages around 3,000 a game which would be in the top 4 of the d-league, former cba team sf skyforce leads attendence around 3,700 game. In the near future I could see the NBA offering a lum sum of money for the cba put d-league franchises in Yakima and possibly later down the road in some of the other cities.

To answer the ? though Yakima is not planned as one of the 3/4 teams to start up in 07-08 in the D-league those teams would be Rio Grand Valley, Texas; Des Moies Iowa and Orem, Utah and the Florida Flama might restart operations if they can work a favorable stadium sitation.[/quote]

the Flame are all by their lonesome in the South. I don't see them coming back until the D-League puts some teams back in the south.

panchess
Site Admin

Agree on the Flame..

Post by panchess » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

..I think the real reason they suspended operations was that other teams weren't going to go there.

If the CBA really establishes a Miami franchise next season, it might be possible to pick up the Flame as an expansion franchise. I have heard zip this season about the D-League considering the Southeast again. Even the Northeast has gotten some mention from David Stern.

sportsguy12
Site Admin

Post by sportsguy12 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 pm

[quote=""panchess""]..I think the real reason they suspended operations was that other teams weren't going to go there.

If the CBA really establishes a Miami franchise next season, it might be possible to pick up the Flame as an expansion franchise. I have heard zip this season about the D-League considering the Southeast again. Even the Northeast has gotten some mention from David Stern.[/quote]

Right, because they decided to fold up shop when the last of the southern teams left. I think if a pocket of teams like Biloxi, Gulf Coast (if their arena ever gets finished), Jacksonville, Gwinnett and Norfolk were to form then you'd see the Flame re-ignite. Until then ... they're doused.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:34 pm

I just mentioned the Flame because it was stated on another board that there is a good chance that they could start operations again. I do agree that until they put more teams in the area that it doesn't make sense.

I am a fan of minor league basketball in the upper midwest and the northern midwest if you look at attendence in the D-league and CBA the leaders include, SF, Bismark, Minot, Boise, Colorado, Yakima. All of these teams except for Colorado are in smaller cities with reasonably sized arena's.

They did a study that said minor league sports do better in these size of communites because its the main attraction compared to the northeast and southeast that has proffesional teams along with other things going on all the time and are page 24 news in the paper and get little notification on the television. Compared to for example the Sioux Falls Sky Force where if they play its on the news any news of the team is on the news and they treat it like its there professional team. When they won the CBA title it was front page news.

I really think that minor league basketball should look into cities such as Lincoln NE/Omaha, Rapid City, Cheyenne, and possibly a Montana city.

If you put a team in Rapid it would be exacually in the middle of SF, Bismark and Colorado. ;) ;) When I talk to people about a team in Rapid it is always they don't make money, well the Old Thrillers made money in the CBA before a dumb move by a owner to move the team ended the franchise. I would like to know what attendence would need to average for Sioux Falls to make money because the Arena's are quite similar. And with the new arena being added to the civic center I could see a 25 game lease be cheaper then alot of exsisting arena's along with very little conflicts with scheduling and you would always have another arena availble if something was to happen.

I've heard D-league expansion team cost between 250,000 and 500,000 plus 25,000 a year, however little to no operating cost. Does the local ownership get all of gate do they pay the lease on the arena???? these are all ? that have to be answered before the D-league can grow its such a hush hush league. I know this is the CBA board but people acutally go on this board.

Compared to the d-league expansion cost what would cba be i heard 125,000/150,000 but they run all operating cost.

Any information would be helpful I am a big fan of minor league basketball and would love to see a team placed in the black hills, they've got the facilities to support one and I believe if its reasonable priced that they would have the attendence also.
Last edited by jjbballfan on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CBA”