Ronnie Fields Arrested

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

How many

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:05 pm

is your definition of 'a nice crowd'? I read the article in the Minot paper but no numbers were given.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Am I the only one who thinks they should have stayed in San Jose?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

psbf
Site Admin

There was

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:04 pm

no reason given, that I'm aware of, as to why they left San Jose for Minot. But I am curious as to what the average turnout was in California last season and what it is in North Dakota this year.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:01 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]Am I the only one who thinks they should have stayed in San Jose?[/quote]

All other things equal, the travel's easier in Minot. Good reason as any to move.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

kg21obf
Site Admin

Post by kg21obf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Not to mention the cost of living in Minot is a massive saving, i am sure you can score quite a deal on rooms at the Holiday inn in the dead of winter.

psbf
Site Admin

Agreed

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:07 pm

Good points, about the travel. However, I'm still curious about the attendence averages of San Jose and Minot.

panchess
Site Admin

1,247 last night..

Post by panchess » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 pm

..and particularly if there was a snowstorm in the area, that would be a nice crowd.

Minot is averaging about 1,300 a game. They have every game attendance on the CBA web site, though the Minot reporter rarely, if ever, includes the attendance or box score in the story. I am guessing the layout of the paper is that all box scores are on the scoreboard page,

I don't think Apex could build a cluster of teams in Northern California. I believe they tried Reno and it didn't work, and when SoCal dropped out for this year, they didn't have a travel partner.

Based only on the memory of boards from last year, the San Jose SkyRockets drew 300-500 a game. The SJ SkyRockets site is still up at http://www.sjskyrockets.com.

Just my opinion, but I remain unconvinced that big city locations work for independent minor league teams. Minot may be too small, but I think smaller cities where you can get some buzz and media attention generally work better.

Too bad the CBA couldn't have gotten Des Moines. They would have fit well.

psbf
Site Admin

better off

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:26 pm

With a comparison like that, then the Skyrockets were making the move for the better.
As for smaller cities, that depends on what you consider small. Of course, the CBA won't work if you look at a city like NYC or Philadelphia. But I'm glad that Pittsburgh has the Xplosion, I don't consider this to be a big city. The Xplosion do not get the media coverage that say, Minot gets. But it does take time and I am starting to see a difference.

bomber29
Site Admin

Post by bomber29 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Minot drew 1300 on Tuesday, and 1,000 last night. But Minot got about 5" of snow on Wednesday, that hurt the crowd. Also the Skyrockets games have been sandwiched between high school boys and girls tournaments to go to state. So there has been a lot of competition for them, and they have drawn ok.

What's up with Pittsnogle sp? He was terrible in the 2 games.

psbf
Site Admin

On the road

Post by psbf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:25 pm

I know. Pittsnogle was great in our last home game. I was hoping the Xplosion would continue that in their trip to North Dakota. It seems that the WVU alumnus preferrs playing here, but he will have to step up on the road sometime.
I saw that Shawn Hawkins was doing well in the first half. Too bad he only scored 4 points in the second half. But the Skyrockets obviously have something important to shoot for(playoffs), as we are only playing for pride. The X still have much learning to do, but I think Jackson is doing a good job with what he has(some good talent here). I'm just enjoying watching them end the season and looking forward to next. In the meantime, I hope the X can learn to win on the road again. They will get their share of wins before the season ends, though. Unfortunately, we are still inconsistant.

Return to “CBA”