Cba Should Be Real Deal This Year

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
panchess
Site Admin

Rockford?

Post by panchess » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:06 am

Any update? I think the Indiana Alley Cats would join the CBA if Rockford and Gary stay, making a nice division.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:04 am

Ken, Steelheads fan wrote:Why would David Stern take an inactive franchise over an active one? Money, that's why. The NBADL did not accept an active Gary this year because the franchise looked flakey. Why did Gary look so flakey? Money (or the lack thereof). Last year's late start (July) didn't help matters either. Most of THIS year's money would be better spent completing the pedestrian walkways that will link the downtown sports venues (Genesis Center, Hudson-Campbell Fitness Center, and US Steel Yard). The rest of this year's money should be used for marketing and improving the Genesis Center. ENOUGH OF THIS LAST MINUTE STUFF. Gary can restart as an organization with a fresh batch of taxpayer money in 2007-2008. If the money looks right at that time, I doubt the NBADL will be picky.
Sorry, but the D-League sucks. It is totally political and this whole allocation nonsense is the stupidest idea in sports, When they expand to 30 teams that league is going to be watered down garbage (unless they increase the pay scale). Plus, Hoffman Estates will be granted an expansion franchise. Gary will not get in, the Steelheads should see if last year creates some excitement and stick it out in the CBA. The Genesis needs a tenent why imporve the place if it is not being used, the NBA is not doing to let the Steelheads in.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Of course Gary will get a D-League team...if the money's right

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:21 am

I agree. D-League ball is some of the worst basketball I've seen, but Steelheads COO Jewell Harris, Jr wants it. Now that the CBA has become ABA2, I'm certain owner Jewell Sr wants it too. Whatever happens in Hoffman Estates will not affect Gary though. These two locations are very close to Chicago, but at the same time they are worlds apart.

The Genesis Center WILL have a tenant. It's in Gary's downtown redevelopment plan to have winter and summer pro sports. Eventually the winter sport will be UHL hockey, but for now the push is for D-League basketball (and the mid-con NCAA tournament, but that's another story).

It sounds strange, but Gary will make a much better hockey town than basketball town.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Ken, Steelheads fan wrote:I agree. D-League ball is some of the worst basketball I've seen, but Steelheads COO Jewell Harris, Jr wants it. Now that the CBA has become ABA2, I'm certain owner Jewell Sr wants it too. Whatever happens in Hoffman Estates will not affect Gary though. These two locations are very close to Chicago, but at the same time they are worlds apart.

The Genesis Center WILL have a tenant. It's in Gary's downtown redevelopment plan to have winter and summer pro sports. Eventually the winter sport will be UHL hockey, but for now the push is for D-League basketball (and the mid-con NCAA tournament, but that's another story).

It sounds strange, but Gary will make a much better hockey town than basketball town.
You are right, The Hoffman Estates team will not affect Gary from a fan perspective but it will due to it's affiliation with the Bulls, the Pacers will not use Gary as an affiliate. I hear Fort Wayne is a lock to align with the Pacers. So the NBA will not take Gary anyway. If the Steelheads leave then I can't see Rockford continuing, which will kill any hopes for a midwest division. The CBA really needs Gary.

Return to “CBA”