Hard not to forget

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Hard not to forget

Post by psbf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:18 am

the times I had when watching the Pittsburgh Xplosion during their three years. While I can understand ex players who may want to forget the team for maybe non-payment, their lack of acknowledgement towards the X leaves a black eye with me. I enjoyed attending the games and gradually being recognized by the ushers among those who attended, wearing my Xplosion gear. The teams like Lawton-Ft. SIll or Atlanta coming to down and having to wear the X old uniforms because their uniforms never made it. The Autographs being given at the end of some games and my towels on display that were given out for the autographs. The visiting fans(especially from Eastern Ky) that came in to cheer for their team.
I liked the Basketball camps that the X had(I saw links on their website) and the many sponsors. The four head coaches they had during their time here, whether the team played at the Mellon Arena or the Peterson Events Center.
What rubs me the wrong way is that anytime the league is mentioned now, the X are ignored while teams like the Skyrockets, the Patroons or our other rivals are remembered.
I remember a time when some posters looked up to me because I was(and still am) a diehard. Yet other posters only saw the empty seats, instead of the team on the court that I cheered for.
No, the Phantoms can't replace any of that!
Oh yes, and the free parking around Mellon Arena that finally came to be in the first year, after fans complained about the $8.00 we had to shell out.

PikevilleOT
Site Admin

Post by PikevilleOT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:25 am

why are you no longer posting over on the xplosion message board? that seemed the best place to perhaps bring the xplosion back and keep them in the minds of the fans of the X and the CBA.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 am

Their website no longer exists. To me that means their DB no longer exists either. I'm sure it's still accessible some way, but what good is it without the website(imo)?

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:54 am

I searched 'Pittsburgh Bassets' in google and the link came up as the fifth option down the page.

http://users.boardnation.com/~pghx/index.php?board=1

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:59 am

[quote=""psbf""]the times I had when watching the Pittsburgh Xplosion during their three years. While I can understand ex players who may want to forget the team for maybe non-payment, their lack of acknowledgement towards the X leaves a black eye with me. I enjoyed attending the games and gradually being recognized by the ushers among those who attended, wearing my Xplosion gear. The teams like Lawton-Ft. SIll or Atlanta coming to down and having to wear the X old uniforms because their uniforms never made it. The Autographs being given at the end of some games and my towels on display that were given out for the autographs. The visiting fans(especially from Eastern Ky) that came in to cheer for their team.
I liked the Basketball camps that the X had(I saw links on their website) and the many sponsors. The four head coaches they had during their time here, whether the team played at the Mellon Arena or the Peterson Events Center.
What rubs me the wrong way is that anytime the league is mentioned now, the X are ignored while teams like the Skyrockets, the Patroons or our other rivals are remembered.
I remember a time when some posters looked up to me because I was(and still am) a diehard. Yet other posters only saw the empty seats, instead of the team on the court that I cheered for.
No, the Phantoms can't replace any of that!
Oh yes, and the free parking around Mellon Arena that finally came to be in the first year, after fans complained about the $8.00 we had to shell out.[/quote]
This issue is that these other teams have longer histories in the CBA (Albany's legacy especially). Also, there are a number of former fans of those teams here who perpetuate their history by talking about them, and other teams they saw over the years.

Unfortunately, you are the sole X fan posting regularly on OSC, so they lack the wider support other teams receive.

The CBA had a long history, and many fans can go back to teams in 90s, 80s, etc. The X as a member of the league were a brief flash, two seasons out of a history that goes back to 1946 - plus they were defunct in the last season the CBA played, so they were relegated to an afterthought before the league shut down.

Did they play? Yes. There is verifiable proof of their historical record in the CBA (unlike their ABA experience) and you have your memories. Enjoy them.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Misenern, the Bassetts do not exist and I got called a 'traiter' because other posters in there refused to see the reality of it. To each his own(imo).

RWB, yes I do have memories, thanks.
Even though their history was brief compared to other teams(Great Falls and Butte and Atlanta lasted what, two years?), I'm just looking for respect for the X for what they accomplished in that time, despite the downfall of their CEO.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 pm

[quote=""psbf""]Even though their history was brief compared to other teams(Great Falls and Butte and Atlanta lasted what, two years?), I'm just looking for respect for the X for what they accomplished in that time, despite the downfall of their CEO.[/quote]

What sort of "respect" are you looking for? The history of minor league sports is piled high with hundreds of former franchises. Some, due to their longevity or a memorable event gain long-lasting memorable status well after they have closed down.

The overwhelming majority however - and your X in in this group - become small type on a historical record somewhere. With the internet, their public records and achievements can be found in just a few clicks - unless you are discussing an ABA team, for which actual, verifiable information is optional at best.

I don't see any of the teams you listed as getting any extra attention than Pittsburgh does - especially here. But keep in mind that your team only played two seasons, at a time when the CBA had lost its luster as THE minor league in the US, and received far less coverage. Also, the X had closed down before the league's last year was played. They were already a footnote to CBA history before the league itself went away.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]What sort of "respect" are you looking for? The history of minor league sports is piled high with hundreds of former franchises. Some, due to their longevity or a memorable event gain long-lasting memorable status well after they have closed down.[/quote]

Exactly....

[quote=""psbf""]

No, the Phantoms can't replace any of that![/quote]

psbf -- As a follower of the Cleveland Force in the mid-1980's, I would love to
reminisce with peers, elders, and remind 'the young folks', of the "good old
days..."

Unfortunately, time goes on. Teams are forgotten, or only brought up when
a small coincidence reminds us of them. In my case, the Browns of the late
80's, Indians of the 1990's, and current Cavaliers are more highly remembered
today. The same way the Force, erased my 'Miracle in Richfield' Cavaliers
memories.

At best, write a book, build a scrapbook, or actively do something to
bring a team back to Pittsburgh. The ABA and GPBL are not good choices,
and based on what we've been hearing from you. Ownership groups aren't
going to jump at the word of a half-dozens fanatics in your area.

BTW -- I don't exactly see people in Great Falls, Butte and Minot jumping out
of their shorts to discuss there respective teams, here or anywhere else.

I any of their cases, it will probably come if and when another group dares
to put a team there.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Return to “CBA”