CBA lives

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:43 am

[quote=""psbf""]Give it a rest, Ken. I see nothing wrong with Zeke turning dreams into a realaity. Besides, with the CBA being on the brink of dead, the PBL is the only real shot. You(and other nay sayers) should be cheering for him, rather than your pessimistic replies(which get tiring).[/quote]

Gee! I was responding to a poster's (who happened to be Zeke) suggestion that other leagues were lowering standards, but not the PBL. You really don't read posts well, do you?!? I didn't say anything about Zeke's dreams. I've tried to stay away from that.

...but now that you mention something getting tiring. NOW I'M SAYING IT. I think it would be a lot better if Zeke waited until the Florida Flight was reality before talking the team up. Right now the team is a figment of his imagination. Why discuss what is imaginary??? Makes no sense to me.

Back to the CBA. The CBA has been left for dead before, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a season. There might be teams like the Gwizzlies (who already hinted at joining the CBA) holding down the fort in the future but the CBA has put up with the likes of Apex, the Krunk, and any team associated with Trinity Group in the past and still survived.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:48 am

[quote=""DazedAndAmused""]I think these are all good points, but the pleas for teams seem a bit desperate on all league threads. I do get it. "We lose less!" is your marketing strategy, and I don't think it's bad necessarily, but the issues of quality and perception are going to haunt you without some mandated team commitments that = $. And, unless I misunderstood, courting zeke makes your footprint (and ultimate costs) not a lot different than those you call out. My advice: build a solid pod and then contact some other league that is already "national". But let me close with one thing. You're absolutely right...the cba, aba, and pbl, none completed their schedules. I thought the IBL did, and if your league did...congrats. That's my biggest peeve with these leagues.[/quote]

I don't have a league and the fact that I only care about quality sustainable minor league basketball... makes me unbiased towards any team or any league. It also allows me to RIP everyone fairly... including the leagues that happen to be more popular at the moment.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:41 am

You just don't get it, Ken. First, let me say this: the team might be a figment of everyone else's imagination, because you all have no ideal what I have working behind closed doors. Those things aren't mentioned because they aren't fully solidified yet, and I'm not going to discuss everything here. As it is, I have probably spent too much time on these boards lately.

Regardless, all that you see is a decently put together website, detailing the vision and mission of the team, a logo, and a few other minor details. That's all you see now, because that's all anyone really needs to see (oh, and the recent press release regarding activity for what I feel was a worthy cause - a 5K run for peace in Sri Lanka).

Sure - I'm talking up the Florida Flight. It's called networking, boys. It's also a direct marketing approach, which, I might add, is free. I'd be a sad fool if I had all of these big plans, and this vision and mission for my team, and succumbed to the pressures of ill-informed posters with inadequate marketing knowledge and decided, out of fear that people will claim the Flight a figment of imagination, to wait until I was ready to play a season to start talking it up. No - we are choosing to utilize the extended time frame we have given ourselves...two years (heck, call it the two year rule after I'm done).

Other aspiring teams (and even existing teams for that matter) should take heed and learn something here - don't start a team in a few months. Take a year or two, get your ideals together, your strategy, your marketing techniques, your execution plan, and...oh yes, your finances in order, AND a handful of sponsors to support your endeavor (some might group all of this together and call it a "business plan"), and you might just find yourself a bit of success. This notion that I shouldn't talk up the Flight right now is ludicrous. How else does a team drum up support before playing. I'm no idiot...I'm not waiting for game day to hope people show up at the gate. I want people standing in line months beforehand (even if it is, say, a couple hundred).

Now, I've got no beef with any of you. I can agree to disagree, and sometimes, you all make a lot of sense. I'm not claiming to be all-knowing. All I'm saying is this approach we (and I do keep saying we, because this notion that I'm some guy in a basement like Joe Newman is false) have chosen gives us plenty of time to get things in order. As for a league, we will pursue the most credible, professional league that offers the best opportunity for success. The WBA isn't it (even if 2 guys are in the NBA right now), and the EBA is too far north, and if you look at some of those websites for those teams, it leaves much to be desired. I know the PBL leadership, I appreciate what they've done in two years, they think out of the box, they have @Sports TV in play, and they have some of minor leagues finest teams. We hope to join that same bunch, and get minor league basketball back in order here in the US.

If that doesn't make clear sense to you, I can't really put it any simpler. I'm optimistic, ambitious, driven, and focused. As I said, it's not a matter of if...it's a matter of when. Sometimes...you've gotta create your own shot! Actions speak louder than words!
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:39 am

[quote=""zeke41""]

If that doesn't make clear sense to you, I can't really put it any simpler. I'm optimistic, ambitious, driven, and focused. As I said, it's not a matter of if...it's a matter of when. Sometimes...you've gotta create your own shot! Actions speak louder than words![/quote]

I do admire your enthusiasm and if you are going big budget I just hope you are a very well off individual. If create your own shot is code for a successful investment then playing in the PBL would be shooting a contested 25 footer. Sure it could go in... but do you want to bet your life savings on it?

There have been many great business people (very well off) that have come along and tried this minor league basketball thing out. 99% of them eventually got tried of sinking money into teams. I just want you to know I am rooting for you to be that 1%. But I'm also a rationalist.

sonnie20
Site Admin

Post by sonnie20 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 am

Good luck Zeke, you'll be fine until you have to play Rochester in the championship. And you will love the travel arragements as well!!!!!!

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm

I...WE...appreciate the support. Right now? Things are moving at the desired, steady pace I like. And just so you know, we aren't coming out of the gates "big budget!" We could, but it's not necessary. You have to plan to take a loss the first 3-4 years with any business. The trick is to minimize the loss you take. I've been around the game all of my life, and have surrounded myself with some very estute, successful business people (some who wish to be involved, and many who are just friends, colleagues, and significant acquaintances). I'm constantly running through my head what is important to have, and when we need to have it.

For instance, we have no plans on having a dance team the first year. Instead, I plan to approach some dance schools in the area (and there are some fine schools here) as well as some high school dance teams, and present them with an opportunity to perform. Call it a live practice. It's great experience for them, it's a whole lot less expensive for us, it provides entertainment, and I'd say it will sell a couple of extra tickets to people that might not like basketball as much as they like dancing (or their daughter, sister, or friend).

Now, when we approach year two or three, then we start adding those non-essential pieces. First year will be all about putting a good basketball product on the floor, creating a culture of personal involvement between the fans and the team, putting in the work in the community that shows we are indebted to the community, and not a fly-by-night team hoping to sell a few tickets. Central Florida is my home. I care as much about investing in the community here as I do making some money and being successful. My school of thought is that when you take care of others, God takes care of you (sorry - not trying to turn this thread religious).

I'm excited, I feel like we have some refrshing ideals, I feel like my thinking is forward, and we're going to see how it all unfolds.

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

one way
Site Admin

Post by one way » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Does the flight have a lease? Where are they going to play? How much is your workmans comp costing you? Where do you plan to house your players and what is your budget on that? Do you have front office space leased and do you provide benefits for your employees? Are you prepared to pay your payroll taxes? Can we see your budget for your team?

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Zeke, I admire your optimism toward the Flight and I hope they do as well as you say. But wouldn't it be better just to concentrate on their first year and see how that goes, as far as filling the seats, rather than looking past that? You can look into the future after the first season is completed, but the opening season should be your priority(imo).

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm

[quote=""one way""]Does the flight have a lease? Where are they going to play? How much is your workmans comp costing you? Where do you plan to house your players and what is your budget on that? Do you have front office space leased and do you provide benefits for your employees? Are you prepared to pay your payroll taxes? Can we see your budget for your team?[/quote]

I'm sorry...did I all of the sudden become a publicly traded company? Are you an insurance agent with a product I should consider? Do you have a player in mind that you would like to send our way? Are you a commercial real estate agent with office space to show me? Are you an accountant, or better yet, someone from the IRS?

I'll tell you what, Pablo Diablo...if you want to approach me with an offer to invest in the team, you might be made privey to all of that information...IF...and that's a big IF...I even consider bringing you into the flock

(Allow my transaprency to overflow - you won't be considerred, so please... don't waste your time).

Outside of knowing where we are going to play, none of those other things are really any of your business at this point. I appreciate the questions, though. You are, in a strange way, our biggest fan! Thanks!

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:59 pm

[quote=""psbf""]Zeke, I admire your optimism toward the Flight and I hope they do as well as you say. But wouldn't it be better just to concentrate on their first year and see how that goes, as far as filling the seats, rather than looking past that? You can look into the future after the first season is completed, but the opening season should be your priority(imo).[/quote]

Any business plan should have a 5 and a 10 year plan, PSBF. If you don't plan ahead, you won't be prepared. Most owners lack the forward thinking and the visionary prowress to do this, and find themselves falling flat on their face when a dilema approaches. It's best to think through all of the possible good and bad that can occur, so you are equipped and prepared to respond in the best manner.

For instance, obviously the PBL, during their first year, took the possibility of a team not finishing very seriously. They thought it through, and when it happened (Jax), they were able to step in and provide an option so that Jax games were still played.

Any business venture is a consuming, thought-draining process (if you really want to succeed). Most people don't have the stamina or the endurance, or the time to think everything through. I make time...because it's critical!

Return to “CBA”