CBA lives

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:33 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]Well, the state of minor league basketball is in their favor, and that, unfortunately, trumps any poor decisions that anyone might disagree with.

Someone said it in another thread, but I'll reiterate: The league is 2 years old, yet they have managed to escalate themselves as one of the strongest viable options on the US minor league circuit![/quote]

But, is that a case of their superior performance thus far, or the fact that the bar has been set so low to begin with?
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:05 pm

I'd say it's a combination of things.

It has to do with other leagues lowering standards to embarrassing levels. For instance, you have the ABA's Orlando Tropics announced, with an owner who proportedly ran away with $60K of another man's money 3 years ago with the Orlando Orangemen team in the same market. Now, the proposed 5-time martial arts world champ and owner of 5 work-out facilities (both of which I can't validate ANYwhere) is back again in the ABA.

It has to do with the PBL having legitimate owners who clearly have the financial backing to invest in a new league. A lot of people didn't even give them the benefit of the doubt, and declared they will never get off the ground. They just finished year two.

There will always be problems...with anything. People have been quick to point out my problems (some of them maliciously with no validation). I guess, in my sight, it's better to have a "why is the PBL holding a National Combine in Chicago" problem than to have wannabe owners prancing around some of the most viable markets in the United States ruining what could be a good thing before a legitimate invester gets there.
Last edited by zeke41 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Darn it! Another victim. You've had the Kool-Aid, haven't you???

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:26 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]
It has to do with other leagues lowering standards to embarrassing levels.
[/quote]

Other leagues?!? The PBL HASN'T contributed to lowering standards to embarrassing levels??? Huh?!?

[quote=""zeke41""]...I guess, in my sight, it's better to have a "why is the PBL holding a National Combine in Chicago" problem than to have wannabe owners prancing around some of the most viable markets in the United States ruining what could be a good thing before a legitimate invester gets there.[/quote]

Do you mean, like the Augusta Groove owner (just to name one)???

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Give it a rest, Ken. I see nothing wrong with Zeke turning dreams into a realaity. Besides, with the CBA being on the brink of dead, the PBL is the only real shot. You(and other nay sayers) should be cheering for him, rather than your pessimistic replies(which get tiring).

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 pm

[quote=""psbf""]Give it a rest, Ken. I see nothing wrong with Zeke turning dreams into a realaity. Besides, with the CBA being on the brink of dead, the PBL is the only real shot. You(and other nay sayers) should be cheering for him, rather than your pessimistic replies(which get tiring).[/quote]

I 100% stand by basketball fans who want to be minor league owners. I disagree as to what Zeke's best shot would be though. If I was him I'd be calling up the WBA and EBA and trying to work with them.

Low budget, low budget, low budget. Survive in this economy and grow your budget as revenues increase. Become sustainable and actually provide value for the community. That being said, I wish him the absolute best of luck.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:10 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Other leagues?!? The PBL HASN'T contributed to lowering standards to embarrassing levels??? Huh?!?

Do you mean, like the Augusta Groove owner (just to name one)???[/quote]

I see, I see...so the PBL should take a year off to regroup, because they played more games on their schedule than any other league NOT supported by the NBA. Better yet, why doesn't the PBL just pack it in - their failing miserably, right? Come on, Ken...so much insight at times, and then you try to throw the PBL under the bus, like they are the reason minor league basketball is in the state it is in right now.

The way I see it, they are the only ones putting action and muscle behind changing the face of minor league basketball in the midst of all the complaints. Think about it - let's see...if the PBL didn't exist, what kind of options would there be for minor league basketball? ABA (ugggghhh), WBA (and their one month season shortened for financial reasons), USBA (still coming soon), IBL (International? Really?), CBA (gone but not forgotten...maybe?), USBA (still waiting), GPBL (couldn't have settled on a different name?), EBA (if a tree falls in the forest...), ABCD (ok, I made that one up), etc.

Fact - we all saw the growing issues in the ABA. These guys (Doc and Tom) had a two solid teams, obviously had the financial backing to market and promote, and realized, "Hey - are we going to complain forever, or start a revolution?" Well, they started a revolution...made some mistakes, but made plenty of ground for a brand-spanking new two year league to ensure stability. Here's a newsflash for anyone that says otherwise - The PBL isn't going to fold anytime soon. Even if they have to make the decision many have suggested, and become a strictly Northeastern league. They have the franchises there to sustain, compete, and make minor league basketball respectable.

I just can't wait until the PBL finishes year three. You know why? I'll let you ponder that for a moment - shouldn't take long!
Last edited by zeke41 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:24 pm

[quote=""minorleagfan09""]I 100% stand by basketball fans who want to be minor league owners. I disagree as to what Zeke's best shot would be though. If I was him I'd be calling up the WBA and EBA and trying to work with them.

Low budget, low budget, low budget. Survive in this economy and grow your budget as revenues increase. Become sustainable and actually provide value for the community. That being said, I wish him the absolute best of luck.[/quote]

I appreciate your comments. Quite frankly, my focus, right now, has been on finding ways to make the Flight (and TCOB for that matter) sustainable without a league. 2011 is a long way away. As for the WBA and the EBA, I'm just not confident and comfortable with their business models (not even sure they actually have one to offer aspiring franchisees). I know what I'm getting in the PBL, I know the costs, I know what it takes, and I know the franchises will show up, even ifthe PBL has to make that a reality (which they have in the past).

The way I look at it, we're down here in Florida, and we're going to make some waves, and do business as usual to show others that might be on the fence that we're for real. I have a vision, I can communicate that vision to others and make sense (and "cents"), and that's why people around Central Florida are opening their ears to hear what I have to say...and they ARE, in fact, intrigued! Who knows...maybe, by 2011, there will be a couple more Southeastern teams that pop out of no where.

By the way, speaking of TCOB, I've finished 18 Entries od my autobiography (#14), which is posted on the blog. The last 2 entries have helped the readership EXPLODE!!! It is, entertaining, to say the least (especially Entry 17). You should check it out, folks! http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com/blog

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:36 pm

[quote=""zeke41""] As for the WBA and the EBA, I'm just not confident and comfortable with their business models (not even sure they actually have one to offer aspiring franchisees). I know what I'm getting in the PBL, I know the costs, I know what it takes, and I know the franchises will show up, even ifthe PBL has to make that a reality (which they have in the past).
][/quote]

The EBA has been around WAY longer than the PBL and they do have a League Operations manual. And they are expanding! http://www.easternbasketballalliance.co ... .php?pg=13

And you can actually breakeven in the EBA... I'd bet just about anything you won't in the PBL (thats not a slight to you... but the PBL). And the PBL doesn't play all their games like the EBA. Mid Michigan anyone?

The WBA has done well this year. And they have developed a lot of talent. 2 nba players got their starts in the WBA... Josh Powell... Jamario Moon. The WBA has a lot of talent at their tryouts.

If you haven't called both leagues up I high suggest you do it. When you have all 3 options in front of you... well hey to me it is obvious. If you want to stick around... start out with a small budget league and work your way up.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:00 am

[quote=""zeke41""]

I just can't wait until the PBL finishes year three. You know why? I'll let you ponder that for a moment - shouldn't take long![/quote]

ooh ooh ooh mista cotta!!!!! (that's me raising my hand wanting to answer.)

but, if i mention the 3 yr or 10 yr rule, fells will shut the thread down, so I'll move on. :D

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:06 am

[quote=""minorleagfan09""]The EBA has been around WAY longer than the PBL and they do have a League Operations manual. And they are expanding! http://www.easternbasketballalliance.co ... .php?pg=13

And you can actually breakeven in the EBA... I'd bet just about anything you won't in the PBL (thats not a slight to you... but the PBL). And the PBL doesn't play all their games like the EBA. Mid Michigan anyone?

The WBA has done well this year. And they have developed a lot of talent. 2 nba players got their starts in the WBA... Josh Powell... Jamario Moon. The WBA has a lot of talent at their tryouts.

If you haven't called both leagues up I high suggest you do it. When you have all 3 options in front of you... well hey to me it is obvious. If you want to stick around... start out with a small budget league and work your way up.[/quote]

I think these are all good points, but the pleas for teams seem a bit desperate on all league threads. I do get it. "We lose less!" is your marketing strategy, and I don't think it's bad necessarily, but the issues of quality and perception are going to haunt you without some mandated team commitments that = $. And, unless I misunderstood, courting zeke makes your footprint (and ultimate costs) not a lot different than those you call out. My advice: build a solid pod and then contact some other league that is already "national". But let me close with one thing. You're absolutely right...the cba, aba, and pbl, none completed their schedules. I thought the IBL did, and if your league did...congrats. That's my biggest peeve with these leagues.

Return to “CBA”