CBA lives

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 am

MLF09 ... KBDL ... please explain? Are they much different than the leagues running in Mississippi and Knoxville, both short summer leagues trying to showcase local players. I agree with the scope the PBL should take ... that is being a pipeline to the overseas market. Maybe that is their actual scope and these things take time. I don't think we really know. You stated in an earlier post you were high on the WBA. Why? Have you been to a WBA game this season? Granted ... the level of play on 4 of the 6 teams is high, however, everything else from the top down is a mess and screams rec league. IBL ... the only advantage they have over the ABA is semi direct press releases and stats, other than that, they are not much better. Teams come and go as the wind. The bottom line is no one has gotten minor league ball right ... not even the Dleague. Were it not for the NBA constantly pumping money in, there would be no Dleague. Out of all the leagues, in my opinion (and I have experienced many), I would bet on the PBL if I were a betting man. I agree with Zeke on this one. :mrgreen:

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 am

[quote=""runninref""]MLF09 ... KBDL ... please explain?

I agree with the scope the PBL should take ... that is being a pipeline to the overseas market.

You stated in an earlier post you were high on the WBA. Why? Have you been to a WBA game this season?

The bottom line is no one has gotten minor league ball right ...

I would bet on the PBL if I were a betting man. I agree with Zeke on this one. :mrgreen: [/quote]

- The KBDL is a really short league that teaches guys how to play international basketball.

- I have been to WBA games (this year and past years as well as games played in many different leagues). I have not seen all the teams in the WBA (or any league) play.

I agree with your bottom line point, which is exactly why I don't think you should bet on any league as you would put it. If anything bet on teams that play their games and meet their budgets. For a team with a strong history that could very well be a big budget team.... for a new owner just getting his/her feet wet... that had better be a low budget team... or someone with deep pockets who doesn't mind losing 50k plus a year on the hobby.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:28 pm

[quote=""not so fast""] But it would serve this league to spend more time outside of china in trying to market its league.
[/quote]

There's not a bigger, wealthier country more excited about basketball than China right now. If the interest is there, why should they worry about any other country first?

You have said the PBL knows business much better than basketball...I think the complete opposite can be said of you. Quality chases the dollar. My take is that if they get the money, they will be able to get the best quality of players and coaches around. It won't work any other way.

I don't understand why I seem to be the only one who gets this China thing.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:57 pm

zeke, you have become a great spokeman for the pbl. And thats ok, i was once a spokesman for them too. But I try to be objective. My 1st question is, if this china deal for some unknown reason does not bear all this fruit, then what happens?

I do not fault them for chasing china dollars, and to be quite honest, I have no working knowledge of how this is going to work. But I do know quality basketball, And I am trying to figure out how and why the chinese would pay all kinds of money for pbl basketball, and how would that differ from ibl, or some aba teams, or cba teams? Or why would they not want to partner up with the d league which seems to be a natural? I mean clearly the talent level in the d-league is far superior to that of the pbl, so it is hard for me to understand.

On the other hand, if the pbl officials can pull off a china deal that brings in lots of dollars, thats great. I am not criticizing, just inquiring, and it is clear that the pbl brass loves these message boards.

My original point was if the pbl can be the international contact for players, it could really carve their nitch in minorleague basketball. It would make the pbl a real global league. I think minorleaguefan9 had a great idea in regards to this.

zeke, a little less pbl koolaid might be a good thing for you!

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]
zeke, a little less pbl koolaid might be a good thing for you![/quote]

If the kool-aid is good, and it's REAL kool-aid, I think I'll just keep it a drink of choice! There's a lot of "grape drink" out there!
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 pm

I just learned that a new team is being started called the Pittsburgh Phantoms and they are part of a 6-team league called Global Basketball. I'm trying to find out more about this. But the teams all exist in the Northeast.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 pm

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:22 am

[quote=""psbf""]I just learned that a new team is being started called the Pittsburgh Phantoms and they are part of a 6-team league called Global Basketball. I'm trying to find out more about this. But the teams all exist in the Northeast.[/quote]

there are threads here...

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... hp?t=14987

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... hp?t=14937

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... hp?t=14803
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 am

Thanks, RWB, but what I've learned so far about them, I don't like. They remind me too much of the old Pa PittBulls

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

I don't think the PBL knows business either. How else would you explain Augusta?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]There's not a bigger, wealthier country more excited about basketball than China right now. If the interest is there, why should they worry about any other country first?

You have said the PBL knows business much better than basketball...I think the complete opposite can be said of you. Quality chases the dollar. My take is that if they get the money, they will be able to get the best quality of players and coaches around. It won't work any other way.

I don't understand why I seem to be the only one who gets this China thing.[/quote]

The China Thing is more pie-in-the-sky, that's why. If the PBL gets more money then the PBL will throw away more money on more pie-in-the-sky ventures. The evidence is there, example any Chicago presence. It's an endless cycle until the PBL finally calls it quits.

...and what's all this talk about the PBL only being around for two years??? Last year the excuse was, they've only been around for one year. The people running the PBL are all experienced basketball people who have been around the game for MANY years.

Return to “CBA”