The CBA - gone but not forgotten

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:09 am

[quote=""psbf""]I disagree with the summer concept, too much competition with Baseball and soccer.[/quote]

Intially you'd think so, but in most markets you'd be wrong. Exposure League teams really only need 200 to 500 fans in attendance to survive. The problem even if the town doesn't have D1 basketball there probably is a D1 team within 30 to 50 miles. Plus there will be high school basketball and D2, D3, or NAIA basketball close as well.

In the summer exposure league basketball is the only option. So if you are a basketball fan above other sports you end up at the basketball games.

That being said you may very well live in a bad market for exposure league basketball. Some teams only draw 50 or 100 fans but in some cases I'd blame that as much on management/ownership as I would the market.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 am

[quote=""minorleagfan09""]

People just have to knock of the greed and get together and set something reasonable up. You can blame the economy all you want but for the most part I blame the relationship between the NCAA to the NBA and bad decision making in minor league basketball. The only reason leagues like the ABA exist is because people are stupid enough to fork over that check for 10k. It never works out, Joe Newman never trys to make it work out, and he just pads his bank account and secretly laughs at the fools that send him money.[/quote]

Well put....
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Maybe you're right about the summer, MLM, I'm just used to seeing Basketball in the Autumn/Winter.
As far as the market, the area where I'm at, it's hard to know if it is bad when the ownership does not promote. We've had some pretty good crowds so I would like to think it would, if done properly.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:13 pm

[quote=""psbf""]I disagree with the summer concept, too much competition with Baseball and soccer.[/quote]

I think you're on the right track, but the main competition in the summer is the weather. How many people want to sit in a gym on a warm summer night?

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:36 pm

It was pretty steamy for some of the USBL games in Albany at the Armory in May. Unfortunately, this spring hasn't been warm enough for that.

I wonder if you could play some of the games outside, like the Rucker League in NYC. I think that would change the whole summer thing around.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:14 pm

That's true, Preeths, another reason I had not thought of.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:24 pm

i like the concept of outdoor games. unless you have a playground in town that is setup with bleachers you'd have to work with the parks department/city to get that done.

You do have to be prepared for rainouts though. You'll eventually have one. If you are playing on Saturday night you'd have to be prepared to make it up Sunday afternoon.

Outdoor games (depending on the surface) can be a lot harder on the players.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:16 pm

[quote=""preeths""]I think you're on the right track, but the main competition in the summer is the weather. How many people want to sit in a gym on a warm summer night?[/quote]

Think about when the D-League started in the South. Often times, down south, the winter (or at least spring and fall) are the time to be out. The SUMMER is when people would want to be indoors, by my reckoning. Seems to me the South is where you try summer ball.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:08 am

That does not sound right(imo). The summer is when people want to be OUT not in, at least that's the case here in Pgh..

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 am

[quote=""psbf""]That does not sound right(imo). The summer is when people want to be OUT not in, at least that's the case here in Pgh..[/quote]

The spring/summer leagues on average draw 1/2 or less of the fall/winter minor leagues overall. (Check the stats. It's a fact.) Now, if you want to make the case that expenses are less because cheaper players can be had, that's probably reasonable. But, spring/summer is a lesser draw for all the reasons mentioned here, and it is generally the case in most regions of the country. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not dance around it. That said, leagues like the IBL in particular may offer the best business case, if for no other reason than their teams lose less on average. Losing less might be the best formula for the next few years.

Return to “CBA”