CBA on hiatus, Cavs headed out

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 am

so there you go... Now Fernandez/CBA want Lawtons letter of credit also....amazing. Who will ever want to go to the CBA if it comes back to life? NO one if you have the fear the league owner, which is fernandez, will cash in your letter of credit for league bills. Thats not what the LOC was for.

SO GOOD BYE CBA...

Fernandez, as your best friend in the ABA would say, SHAMEFULL !!!

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:30 pm

http://www.swoknews.com/main.asp?Top=1&SectionID=7
PBL better than CBA
NICK LIVINGSTON
Pie in the sky ideas can only get you so far.

However, if there is a season, then the Premiere Basketball League is better for the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry than the Continental Basketball Association.

As the Cavs make their charge into the PBL, the amount of ideas that could lead to money making ventures is astounding. There's the television network (sportstv.com), the China broadcast deal and let's not forget the possibility of gambling being a part of team websites, which will include the opportunity to gamble on PBL games. Those are just the tip of the iceberg of things they have put on the docket for next season.

But hey, if they just play the 20 games promised without having a fight over who goes where and who does what then it will be a successful campaign. On top of that, the games are played on weekends, so no more mid-week games that get in the way of school, work or church. Tack on the fact that the league doesn't start until January after most of football season and the league has a season that can work in this market.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]http://www.swoknews.com/main.asp?Top=1&SectionID=7[/quote]

The subtitle of this article is like the pot calling the kettle...hmmmm...Old Ironsides or something like that. What?!? The China broadcasting deal and possible gambling on PBL games ISN'T pie-in-the-sky?!?

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:21 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]The subtitle of this article is like the pot calling the kettle...hmmmm...Old Ironsides or something like that. What?!? The China broadcasting deal and possible gambling on PBL games ISN'T pie-in-the-sky?!?[/quote]

I thought the same thing - not really a ringing endorsement.

I was curious how much depth the writer went with the rest of the story, but have no desire to pay for their newspaper's full online access.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:26 pm

ok, so according to the paper, the Cavs are joining the PBL. When are they going to officially announce it?

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:38 pm

[quote=""psbf""]ok, so according to the paper, the Cavs are joining the PBL. When are they going to officially announce it?[/quote]
The first of the two articles in their paper was their announcement, but I too am waiting for the league (PBL) to make it official.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]I thought the same thing - not really a ringing endorsement.

I was curious how much depth the writer went with the rest of the story, but have no desire to pay for their newspaper's full online access.[/quote]

A lot of people wouldn't pay for the service, I don't and I work here. :)
I went into depth as to what went into the decision not to stay put in the CBA (with the craziness that happened last year) and why the team chose the PBL.
The core of the issue was this: They PBL has a lot of ideas, but that's not the real reason the team is going there. They are heading to the PBL because they are sure that the PBL will HAVE A SEASON and they will HAVE A SCHEDULE by August for games in January. They are excited to be able to sell sponsorships and tickets for games 6 months in advance instead of a day like they had to do last year when the CBA kept changing the schedule from second to second.

The second article was a column about why the PBL was good. I said in it that I thought things looked sketchy (especially no league fees but the league pays for stuff), but if they play their 20 games then it's better for the market here than not playing in a now bunk league.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 pm

P.R., you mentioned in an earlier post about the Cavs decision not to compete in the CBA merged schedule with the ABA and I feel that was a good choice. That was a good hint tha thet Cavs will be joining the PBL, but until the official announcement by the PBL, I would be cautious. Your fans deserve to see continued action in the form of that league(imo).
The article said that the CBA is down to two teams. It's sad that they have apparently folded rather than joining the PBL.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 pm

That CBA and PBL didn't merge because of Fernandez not being able to swallow his pride and give up control to jump to the PBL.
Frenandez held enough votes in the CBA that a "owner-owned league" was not really true. Fernandez held enough votes to outvote the rest of the owners, so even if the PBL wanted to merge, there wasn't enough other owners to be able to out-vote Ben to make it work.
It's a sad day for the CBA, let's hope that someday in the future they can come back with a bit of sanity.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:46 pm

That would be a good thought of the cba returning, but I think we all know that they burned too many bridges.
It would be nice if the remaining 5 teams could end up in the PBL at some time(yes, I said 5, even though only two are left).

Return to “CBA”