Don't click this link either, Kenny

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
FreezinUpHere
Site Admin

Don't click this link either, Kenny

Post by FreezinUpHere » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090316/ts ... obscompany

----------------------

More evidence that the economy wasn't the problem in Minot.
IT WAS CRAPPY PROMOTING BY THE OWNERS/MANAGEMENT that were the downfall for the SkyRockets.

Kenny, if you want specific examples, feel free to PM.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 pm

? Where does this talk about the Skyrockets?
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

FreezinUpHere
Site Admin

Post by FreezinUpHere » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:07 pm

It doesn't. But it's more evidence (I provided links about a month ago that Kenny wouldn't read) that ND's economy can't be blamed for the 'Rockets shoddy attendance this year.....

Wiz - come clean, either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem...... which were you, honestly?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:07 am

[quote=""FreezinUpHere""]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090316/ts ... obscompany

----------------------

More evidence that the economy wasn't the problem in Minot.
IT WAS CRAPPY PROMOTING BY THE OWNERS/MANAGEMENT that were the downfall for the SkyRockets.

Kenny, if you want specific examples, feel free to PM.[/quote]

Okay then, I won't click the link. Thanks.

Speaking of evidence, I've seen no evidence Minot can sustain fall/winter minor league hoops for more than a couple of years at a time. The proof is in the pudding. Minot couldn't cross-over to the CBA with Dakota. Not enough revenue was being generated. Minot couldn't hold its ground in today's watered-down CBA either. Not enough revenue was being generated. Also, crappy promoting by the owners/management is another sign not enough revenue is being generated. Not many people wake-up in the morning with the purposeful intention of losing their shirt. Let's see how crappily we can promote the team today!. It doesn't work that way. There were money issues.

...with that said, the original Minot Skyrockets should have been left to die on the vine. ALL of the former Apex teams should have rotted on the vine. The new owners of each and every one of these teams inherited someone else's problems instead of starting fresh...or simply waiting for a more opportune time to start-up. It was a recipe for failure.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

FreezinUpHere
Site Admin

Post by FreezinUpHere » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:36 pm

'''' not enough revenue being generated ''''

yeah. exactly. how does one GENERATE revenue? how does one MAKE money? it's called ''work'' . . . . for a minor league ballclub a little work translates to MARKETING / PROMOTING.

Kenny, are you an Illinois Obamite? a typical liberal who thinks rewards should come WITHOUT a personal effort? (other than stepping to the mailbox to grab the Fed. check) Your assumptions about Minot would indicate that.

How else do ballclubs generate revenue without marketing/promoting?

Minot is home to more than adequate interest and wealth to support a CBA-type club but it requires some effort and diligence on the part of owners/mgrs. to create attendance and EXTRACT revenue dollars. It doesn't just magically happen like Kenny seems to think it should (although Minot is known as the ''Magic City'').

Kenny, again, don't opine or exclaim ''pudding proof'' until you've read the links and actually stepped-foot in N.D. Your views are skewed because of your broken relationship with boybuddy Daleo and all the smog in Gary.

You don't think some people are apt to ''''wake-up in the morning with the purposeful intention of losing their shirt'''???

I pose a simple but very telling example from this past season: The popularity of Minot's mascot, even going back to the Snowbears days, has been one of the few consistent positive aspects of the gamenight ''presentation''. The morning of the second game of a double-header, the guy in the Rocky suit (Skyrockets mascot) calls one of the team owners to let them know he decided he was going out of town for the evening and wouldn't be ''performing'' (ridiculous on his part as he could've notified them a day or days earlier). Nonetheless it's still 10 hours before gametime. 10 hours to find a replacement to put the suit on. Tip-off comes...... there's no mascot to entertain the hundreds of kids at the game. No mascot to assist with paid sponsor promotions. No mascot at a professional basketball game. But there's 15+ owners and spouses sitting on their hands in the stands and several office staffers and interns doing the same. That was a pretty significant indicator for me that this ownership group either didn't have a clue or had given-up and didn't care (actually, it was both). As close as can be, that's literally waking-up in the morning and intending to lose one's ''shirt'' (or mascot outfit . . . . or fans . . . . ).

Kenny will say ''see, they'd given-up..... there was not enough money being GENERATED''. Wrong. Chicken or the Egg? In a nutshell (or Eggshell), their lack of marketing/promoting, their lack of creativity ultimately put them in that predicament. Any successful business owner knows that marketing is an investment. You advertise in the good times and you advertise in the bad times. They didn't have the first notion as to how to put butts in seats. Maybe they should've hired Kenny to jump on the train to Minot and wave his magic-fairy revenue wand over the arena (Actually, Kenny has offered some decent revenue-producing ideas on this forum, like the quicky way to make a VIP suite with the silk plants, etc..... I liked that one. I just don't see why Kenny doesn't see why that could've applied to Minot).

That's enough for now. I'll be back in a month after Kenny, and obviously Minot's chief lawnmower, haven't read this link found with a simple Google tickle: http://baseball.about.com/od/minorleagu ... tions1.htm
Last edited by FreezinUpHere on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:38 am

Regardless of your opinion, let's leave politics out of this.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

I have a feeling some people are confusing me with someone else

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 pm

[quote=""FreezinUpHere""]'''' not enough revenue being generated ''''

yeah. exactly. how does one GENERATE revenue? how does one MAKE money? it's called ''work'' . . . . for a minor league ballclub a little work translates to MARKETING / PROMOTING.

Kenny, are you an Illinois Obamite? a typical liberal who thinks rewards should come WITHOUT a personal effort? (other than stepping to the mailbox to grab the Fed. check) Your assumptions about Minot would indicate that.

How else do ballclubs generate revenue without marketing/promoting?

Minot is home to more than adequate interest and wealth to support a CBA-type club but it requires some effort and diligence on the part of owners/mgrs. to create attendance and EXTRACT revenue dollars. It doesn't just magically happen like Kenny seems to think it should (although Minot is known as the ''Magic City'').

Kenny, again, don't opine or exclaim ''pudding proof'' until you've read the links and actually stepped-foot in N.D. Your views are skewed because of your broken relationship with boybuddy Daleo and all the smog in Gary.

You don't think some people are apt to ''''wake-up in the morning with the purposeful intention of losing their shirt'''???

I pose a simple but very telling example from this past season: The popularity of Minot's mascot, even going back to the Snowbears days, has been one of the few consistent positive aspects of the gamenight ''presentation''. The morning of the second game of a double-header, the guy in the Rocky suit (Skyrockets mascot) calls one of the team owners to let them know he decided he was going out of town for the evening and wouldn't be ''performing'' (ridiculous on his part as he could've notified them a day or days earlier). Nonetheless it's still 10 hours before gametime. 10 hours to find a replacement to put the suit on. Tip-off comes...... there's no mascot to entertain the hundreds of kids at the game. No mascot to assist with paid sponsor promotions. No mascot at a professional basketball game. But there's 15+ owners and spouses sitting on their hands in the stands and several office staffers and interns doing the same. That was a pretty significant indicator for me that this ownership group either didn't have a clue or had given-up and didn't care (actually, it was both). As close as can be, that's literally waking-up in the morning and intending to lose one's ''shirt'' (or mascot outfit . . . . or fans . . . . ).

Kenny will say ''see, they'd given-up..... there was not enough money being GENERATED''. Wrong. Chicken or the Egg? In a nutshell (or Eggshell), their lack of marketing/promoting, their lack of creativity ultimately put them in that predicament. Any successful business owner knows that marketing is an investment. You advertise in the good times and you advertise in the bad times. They didn't have the first notion as to how to put butts in seats. Maybe they should've hired Kenny to jump on the train to Minot and wave his magic-fairy revenue wand over the arena (Actually, Kenny has offered some decent revenue-producing ideas on this forum, like the quicky way to make a VIP suite with the silk plants, etc..... I liked that one. I just don't see why Kenny doesn't see why that could've applied to Minot).

That's enough for now. I'll be back in a month after Kenny, and obviously Minot's chief lawnmower, haven't read this link found with a simple Google tickle: http://baseball.about.com/od/minorleagu ... tions1.htm[/quote]

Ah, you remember the idea about making a simple platform into a VIP suite on the cheap?!? I liked that idea too.

Bottom line, the latest Minot incarnation of a basketball franchise should have been left to die on the vine. Why attempt to continue someone else's ill-conceived plan??? Maybe that's what those 15+ owners realized when they sat on their hands instead of someone volunteering to put on the costume. They realized pro basketball just doesn't seem to work in Minot.

One of these days you'll provide a link I'm interested in clinking on. It hasn't happened yet though. How about this??? Please provide links of pro basketball actually working during the fall/winter months in Minot. I've stated my position. I don't think it will work there. You keep giving excuses. Now it's, no one would put on the time-honored mascot outfit. Geez-o-Pete!

Return to “CBA”