restructuring scenario

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Zadmin
Site Admin

just a thought

Post by Zadmin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]If you're smart, you let the CBA go.

You'll probably wait a couple years. Let things really shake out.

Find six owners with 6 potential leases in a geographic range to be reached by bus. Don't fret a possible (or should I say probable) overlap. The truth is that there will always be someone who thinks they have a better idea. You'll compete. Get over that.

Build slowly from there.[/quote]

now a new league sounds lame at first but...many hours have I thought of this. In the east there are a few good teams from ABA (Nash. Knox. KY. and WVblazers) then you have KY miners a CBA team, and PBL teams would be an added bonus...but with these 5..after July 4th say July through Aug.....do a quick 10 to 20 game season as a test bed to see how people would react. It can't be any worse than what the teams are seeing now as far gate, sponsors, media, etc. Several media(TV, print) said if a team was playing during this time they are desperate for sports news and would certainly cover the team. All of them(media) love the idea of some basketball in the summer. Adding that if the team also played in the winter this would add exposure for the team going into the busy time and help the fan base. Now I have spoken to one D1 owner who is also suffering from poor gate $$ and little or no media coverage. I personally hate summer for the lack of good sports...golf?..baseball? xgames? love to coach baseball but not a big fan of watching it..want to go inside out of the heat, drink a beer, watch the best game ever invented, and yes during the summer

Minor league Pro-basketball can be a success but what has failed all of the leagues
1. Playing during the peak sports times of the year for High School sports, NBA, NCAA, and even the NFL and this immediately causes a major handicap in the following areas:
A. Media- the media has no time for some minor league team and will not give you any coverage, and mean none unless you spend $$$ on advertising.
B. Fans are far to into their kid playing games, favorite college teams playing both football and basketball, NBA starting up, and the NFL in high gear.
C. Potential sponsors have used up most of the years budget and has no money much less interest in supporting your team...summer league beer sales, food vendors, outside tailgating before and after games

2. No league management and no support for the teams as far as league sponsors and buying power for uniforms, hotel/travel, housing, player contracts trainers and supplies, and so on. There is no basic formula on paper with facts and guidelines for teams, owners to follow when starting up the team.

3. They must make the potential investors/owners provide proof they can be a quality team.

call me crazy but I think it could work
:cool:

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 pm

[quote=""Zadmin""]
2. No league management and no support for the teams as far as league sponsors and buying power for uniforms, hotel/travel, housing, player contracts trainers and supplies, and so on. There is no basic formula on paper with facts and guidelines for teams, owners to follow when starting up the team.[/quote]

As an ABA team, didn't you get the legendary 'Keys to Success' from the kitchen czar?
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Zadmin
Site Admin

Post by Zadmin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:52 pm

you must be talking about the "keys to sucass" :)

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:56 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]As an ABA team, didn't you get the legendary 'Keys to Success' from the kitchen czar?[/quote]

Didn't you once start a thread with that??? I believe it was quite entertaining of a read...
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Zadmin said, 'I had spoken with one D1 owner who was suffering from $$ at the gate and little to no media coverage."

If you had not added the D1, I would think you were talking about the Xplosion.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote=""psbf""]Zadmin said, 'I had spoken with one D1 owner who was suffering from $$ at the gate and little to no media coverage."

If you had not added the D1, I would think you were talking about the Xplosion.[/quote]

Nobody else would have thought that but you
including the Greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area...
:roll:
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:00 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Didn't you once start a thread with that??? I believe it was quite entertaining of a read...[/quote]

I don't recall if it was the thread starter, or just one post in the few ABA anthology threads posted that show - time after time - how truly bassackward the ABA is...

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:20 pm

RWB, let's just agree to disagree on the Xplosion. However, we do agree on how bad the ABA is.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 pm

I forgot to add that I like Aaron's alignment of the Northeast Div.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 pm

smell the coffee...there will be no CBA in Pittsburgh or any place else.
Pittsburgh can barely keep baseball alive and hockey survives along with football. Basketball will never be successful there.

The CBA itself is gone...unless they start doing the ABA thing and placing teams in villages.

Return to “CBA”