CBA ceases operations.....???

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm

I am assuming that is the Northeast, with Portland, Manchester, Hartford and one other team.

I wouldn't assume, though, that the D-League will have 18 teams next year as a result. I think a couple will drop out.

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 am

[quote=""bectond""]Quick fact, the d-league is bringing in 4 teams that are all in the same region next year. [/quote]

Really? Where at? I should probably know, but I need a refresher.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:48 am

[quote=""USBasket_EricE""]Really? Where at? I should probably know, but I need a refresher.[/quote]

The Gwizzlies
Arizona Rhinos
Jackson Wildcats
Hawai'i Hurricanes

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:15 pm

The Raptors and the Knicks are buying teams but I don't know which cities the teams will play. I heard the other two teams would be in Ohio and Maine. The formal announcement will be made next month. The recession is hitting both coast the hardest. If the CBA expands, either Lawton or Minot will have to be the hub. Fargo, St. Cloud and Rochester make the most sense geographical but finding investors will be almost impossible. (Unless they hire The Infamous JN to head the expansion effort).
Last edited by bectond on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:30 pm

D-league is adding Portland Maine....maybe Youngstown, Ohio but the investors there want to wait a year.

D-league owners are not happy....teams losing big money and attendance is not good this year.

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:53 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]D-league is adding Portland Maine....maybe Youngstown, Ohio but the investors there want to wait a year.

D-league owners are not happy....teams losing big money and attendance is not good this year.[/quote]

I think that would be a good move for the league. Portland is about two and a half hours from Boston which would make it easy for the Celtics to recall/demote players.
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Yep

Post by DakotaWiz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:13 pm

As far as I know, Portland Maine is the only one that's all but confirmed right now. Heard that they're waiting for one more team to make it official.

They have a website too..
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:23 pm

The knicks are hiring coaches, and Maine has an arena deal.I don't think the Ohio team is Youngstown. That died when they would not allow the Cav's to manage the arena in Youngstown. The Cav's are partnering with Erie, PA now.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:24 am

[quote=""bectond""]The knicks are hiring coaches, and Maine has an arena deal.I don't think the Ohio team is Youngstown. That died when they would not allow the Cav's to manage the arena in Youngstown. The Cav's are partnering with Erie, PA now.[/quote]

Youngstown may be a little gun shy about arena management after the city fired Global (operates Central Hockey League) as the management company.

Cazzzmo
Site Admin

Post by Cazzzmo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:18 pm

[quote=""bectond""]........If the CBA expands, either Lawton or Minot will have to be the hub. Fargo, St. Cloud and Rochester make the most sense geographical but finding investors will be almost impossible. (Unless they hire The Infamous JN to head the expansion effort).[/quote]

of those three, I'd say Rochester is a longshot at best, the other two - absolutely no way, won't happen. Rapid City fits nice and they have some history. Maybe something could happen in Nebraska, perhaps that Kearney Tri-Cities area but highly doubtful. I still think Regina or Winnipeg could be golden if done right, lots of population to draw from up there. Maybe Casper WY... again. I'm not familiar with Casper's previous run in the CBA..... any thoughts?

Return to “CBA”