CBA ceases operations.....???

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
rockschuck
Site Admin

Post by rockschuck » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 pm

[quote=""FreezinUpHere""]Kenny won't read others links but he'd post a link to his nephew's barmitzvah announcement if you let him.

Again, Kenny, don't tell me what you think you know about the town I've lived in 40+ years. The blanket ''poor economy'' excuse in Truax's release is fine but it really doesn't apply to Minot ............ the point I'm making is that Minot should've never been one of the weak sisters when this thing came to an end. Minot's owners bungled this season from the start and they should've just voted to take the year off if it was looking so bad elsewhere. There is a nice fanbase in Minot but Lindbo and his marketing person-of-the-week approach totally sucked. As far as Minot not going along with Bismarck (Dakota) to the CBA years ago, that's a completely different can of worms. Bismarck/Mandan is 4 times as large as Minot and it's a much wealthier community. Minot was probably maxed-out back in the Snowbears days when they were bringing-in 2000 fans whereas Bismarck was doing that with minimal-to-average effort in that town.... Minot did have a chance to go to the CBA at that time at a bit of a discounted rate even I'm told but it was just too much of a leap and the Minot owner at the time had political responsibilities to tend to instead of run a ballclub. Just because Minot didn't make the leap at that time doesn't mean there isn't a fanbase here..... there's a perfect fanbase for a Tier 2 type of league like the PBL or recent CBA, but probably not enough to support the D-League or the CBA circa 2000.[/quote]

YES, finally someone who is thinking like I am! I've kept my mouth shut for a long time! OH, I hope season ticket holders and sponsers get their money back (at least for the part of the season that never happened). IF NOT. Bye Bye community support in Minot!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:48 am

I just wanted to say congrats to the L-FS Cavs and their fans on their second straight CBA Championship(109-107 ot).
Despite the optimism in the league meetings(from what I read) I can't imagine the league returning next season with just the 4 teams.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 am

btw, I also want to congrat the Patroons for making it that far, although only two other teams competed, the Cavs and Pats were two of the best.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm

The CBA is only operating in two time zones, though it was in all four last season.

Congratulations to the Cavalry and Micheal Ray Richardson on winning the CBA Championship. They were the better team.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 pm

[quote=""FreezinUpHere""]Kenny won't read others links but he'd post a link to his nephew's barmitzvah announcement if you let him.

Again, Kenny, don't tell me what you think you know about the town I've lived in 40+ years. The blanket ''poor economy'' excuse in Truax's release is fine but it really doesn't apply to Minot ............ the point I'm making is that Minot should've never been one of the weak sisters when this thing came to an end. Minot's owners bungled this season from the start and they should've just voted to take the year off if it was looking so bad elsewhere. There is a nice fanbase in Minot but Lindbo and his marketing person-of-the-week approach totally sucked. As far as Minot not going along with Bismarck (Dakota) to the CBA years ago, that's a completely different can of worms. Bismarck/Mandan is 4 times as large as Minot and it's a much wealthier community. Minot was probably maxed-out back in the Snowbears days when they were bringing-in 2000 fans whereas Bismarck was doing that with minimal-to-average effort in that town.... Minot did have a chance to go to the CBA at that time at a bit of a discounted rate even I'm told but it was just too much of a leap and the Minot owner at the time had political responsibilities to tend to instead of run a ballclub. Just because Minot didn't make the leap at that time doesn't mean there isn't a fanbase here..... there's a perfect fanbase for a Tier 2 type of league like the PBL or recent CBA, but probably not enough to support the D-League or the CBA circa 2000.[/quote]

Poor marketing is an excuse many communities can use (and HAVE used) across America. The fact remains that Minot has not sustained a minor league hoops team...ever. It always seems to be someone else's fault too according to posters, but I think the fault lies more with the loss of the WIZARDS' fanbase. Their fans kept Minot alive back in the day.

I DO agree that Minot should have taken the season off (along with the rest of the CBA), but I'll take it a step further. Minot should have let the team die on the vine after the Apex multi-team ownership debacle. The Skyrockets should not have been bailed-out. What is the old saying? Isn't it, fools rush in? If Minot has a potential fanbase...and I don't think that's saying much because ALL towns have a potential fanbase, then Minot's day will come. That day hasn't arrived yet, however.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 pm

...and another thing. Poor marketing is usually a sign (red flag) that an ownership group doesn't have enough operating capital. The Minot fanbase is not generating enough revenue for the owners' needs.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreezinUpHere
Site Admin

Post by FreezinUpHere » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 pm

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]http://kmot.com/Video_6_Sports.asp

Thoughts?[/quote]

Yeah, Mr. Lindbo, pro basketball is good for Minot. Genius remark. Why did you go out of your way to mess it up then?!?

Numerous articles out there today concerning the owners meeting (Albany paper, Lawton paper, NY Times). Quotes from 3 ownership groups, none from Minot. Why? You can't get an intelligent comment from Lindbo. Can't wait to see the crap he feeds to the local Minot paper. What a joke. Get rid of this putz, Minot owners, and your chances for survival quadruple.

btw, congrats Cavalry!! You guys kick a$$ and take names!! Way to go. That's a mean Albany squad you beat.... kudos to them too.

FreezinUpHere
Site Admin

Post by FreezinUpHere » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59 pm

God, Kenny, I've heard enough from you..... again telling me what's happening outside my front door. You're insane. Bismarck fans sustaining Minot back in the Snowbears days???!? Hilarious. Yeah, the rivalry was great but they maybe brought up 200-300 folks during the IBA champ. series one year..... otherwise I'd say they averaged 50 to 100 when the Wizards came to town..... how does that ''keep a team alive''?? 100 fans x 4 games in a regular season??? wow. You're so far off base I can't even believe it anymore. Quit pontificating. Isn't your boyfriend Daleo back in Rockford? Why don't you go pester him and stay off the keyboard for a day.
Last edited by FreezinUpHere on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:26 pm

[quote=""FreezinUpHere""]God, Kenny, I've heard enough from you..... again telling me what's happening outside my front door. You're insane. Bismarck fans sustaining Minot back in the Snowbears days???!? Hilarious. Yeah, the rivalry was great but they maybe brought up 200-300 folks during the IBA champ. series one year..... otherwise I'd say they averaged 50 to 100 when the Wizards came to town..... how does that ''keep a team alive''?? 100 fans x 4 games in a regular season??? wow. You're so far off base I can't even believe it anymore. Quit pontificating. Isn't your boyfriend Daleo back in Rockford? Why don't you go pester him and stay off the keyboard for a day.[/quote]

You're right. In the end, the Wizards fans could not sustain the Snowbears. Minot is not unique though. Some of the same things going on outside your front door are also going on across North America. The importance of rival fans willing to follow their team cannot be stressed enough. Generally speaking, these fans buy tickets, concessions, and merchandise. I'll take one hundred out of town fans with cash in pocket any day to 500 comped local fans.

Maybe I'm insane, but the Wizards' fans are still sustaining their franchise. It's the owner's fault in Minot, right?

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Quick fact, the d-league is bringing in 4 teams that are all in the same region next year. If the CBA fails to do the same, it won't survive. If teams are not added in ND or MN the Skyrockets should get additional investors and apply to the D-L or call it a day.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

Return to “CBA”