CBA ceases operations.....???

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:08 pm

This season should not have happened(omo). Whether this league will be back, I have my doubts.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Condolences?!? Hmmmmm. The CBA is cutting their season short. I don't recall reading that the CBA has folded. Have I missed something?[/quote]
Perhaps I am taking ceasing operations in the middle of the season as more dire than you are.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:34 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]Perhaps I am taking ceasing operations in the middle of the season as more dire than you are.[/quote]

Except for the title of this thread, I haven't read that the CBA has ceased operations. The CBA did cease operations in January 2001 though.

Cazzzmo
Site Admin

Post by Cazzzmo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm

The Biz Trib article uses the term "cease". Surely Ken has read that.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:59 pm

[quote=""Cazzzmo""]The Biz Trib article uses the term "cease". Surely Ken has read that.[/quote]
No, because Ken wouldn't have posted what he did had he done so.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 pm

[quote=""Cazzzmo""]The Biz Trib article uses the term "cease". Surely Ken has read that.[/quote]

...then the Trib used the term ceased operations improperly. There's a big difference between ceasing operations and ending a season early with rescheduled playoffs. That's why I mentioned the year 2001. That year the CBA actually ceased to exist. They went away abruptly when the money ran out. Later that year, the CBA trademark was bought at auction (fifty dollars, I think) and an entirely different CBA emerged. The CBA we see today.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:18 pm

...and another thing. If what the CBA is doing (shortening its season) is ceasing operations, then the ABA has ceased operations. My question to all is: Has the ABA ceased operations? The ABA still seems to be around. The CBA seems to be around too...for now.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:26 pm

If PBL teams are willing to spend money then there is a good chance that they could snap up some great talent for the second half of the season. Here's hoping CBA guys get an extra month or so of work.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 pm

While Ken's comment is fair...

...so is my bringing up the general pattern. When you shorten a season, it's damn hard to come back. Fans in four towns are likely giving the league up for dead right now, whether the CBA says they're ceasing or not.

The advantage the ABA has is in having no fans, therefore falling trees make no sound, therefore the scam continues.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:52 pm

I think we can say that as of the final buzzer this coming Sunday, the CBA will cease some operations, all of them that are related to actually playing basketball. It will not, at least immediately, cease all operations.

Return to “CBA”