CBA ceases operations.....???

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:21 am

It probably doesn't help that one particular team seems to have more power over the league than others.

Quality owners is what is needed for this league, heck, any league.

Maybe some sort of bond to secure funds for an entire season should be required of owners of any teams. If the team fails to do their part, pay players, rent, ect.. the League would be able to take over the team and use the bond to pay what needs to be paid for the rest of the season?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:06 am

[quote=""OKCAVS67""]It probably doesn't help that one particular team seems to have more power over the league than others.

Quality owners is what is needed for this league, heck, any league.

Maybe some sort of bond to secure funds for an entire season should be required of owners of any teams. If the team fails to do their part, pay players, rent, ect.. the League would be able to take over the team and use the bond to pay what needs to be paid for the rest of the season?[/quote]

Once upon a time, the CBA required such a bond. Those days are long gone now.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Healthy fanbase??? Why didn't Minot join the CBA in 2001 with the Wizards?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 am

[quote=""FreezinUpHere""]Kenny - why jump into the fray if you hadn't yet read the link?

-----------

For what it's worth, Minot's economy is nothing short of stellar right now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/us/06dakota.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... 4534_x.htm

Though they weren't helped at all by the league's uncertainty and stumbling over the last two years, Minot's newest machination of so-called ''management'' failed to capitalize on a generally healthy fanbase and appetite for CBA-style ball in northwest North Dakota.

Perhaps Minot will someday soon have a club as part of new regional league arisen from the ruins of the CBA and IBA...... and it's commissioner will be noneother than PSBF......... one can only dream......... :roll: [/quote]

What difference does it make if Minot's economy is stellar when Minot can't hold a pro hoops franchise...ever??? Besides, we're in a global economy. The hardships felt in China directly effect us in America and vice-versa. The hardships felt in the Northeast directly effect Minot as well.

BTW, I didn't click on the links above either. I don't need them to understand that our economy is global.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Minot TV Coverage

Post by DakotaWiz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 pm

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]http://kmot.com/Video_6_Sports.asp

Thoughts?[/quote]

At about 1:12 in the video he talks about the changes the CBA plans to make to come back strong next season.

Umm... making it easier to get in??? How the heck is that going to make it stronger. He said in the past it has been strict and expensive but they plan to make it "alot easier".

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:44 pm

[quote=""MJHankel""]Umm... making it easier to get in??? How the heck is that going to make it stronger?[/quote]
The thing a league needs more than any other thing is member teams. It's one of those core, fundamental, definition kind of needs. If you don't have teams, you don't have a league.

Like it or not, the CBA has only four teams, all so far apart from each other they make no economic sense. Making it easier to get in means more teams and more teams, if well placed, means a footprint that starts to make some sense economically.

Yes, the CBA has had high standards and yes, having clubs than can meet them is admirable. But if you don't have enough clubs, you don't have a league. This year proves it.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:21 am

In our Lawton-Ft. Sill Paper today, one of the CAVS owners (Mike Brown), stated that at the owners meeting this weekend they are going to discuss changing the leagues buisness practice.
Said that they have to change how the league does things or they, the league, won't be able to come back.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:41 am

Here is an idea.... start with at least 250K in operating capital.

what change? It costs to much to operate in 4 time zones PERIOD. gimme a break, CBA wont be back.

The smart move at the CBA owners meeting will be, ok guys who wants to go to the PBL and cut our operating costs? Tell Fernandez to shove it with all the fees he wants from the teams and run.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 am

[quote=""MJHankel""]At about 1:12 in the video he talks about the changes the CBA plans to make to come back strong next season.

Umm... making it easier to get in??? How the heck is that going to make it stronger. He said in the past it has been strict and expensive but they plan to make it "alot easier".[/quote]

I saw that too...... The absolute nuclear option is basically allowing in the ABA level of dreamers and underfunded no hopers. Sadly I think the PBL is the best (and only) option. What minor league hoops needs is not another league with 15 teams that were able to be created because of lower entry standards. What it needs is a strong group who can grow into a truly nationally identified league...............another ABA will be a disaster.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

FreezinUpHere
Site Admin

Post by FreezinUpHere » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Kenny won't read others links but he'd post a link to his nephew's barmitzvah announcement if you let him.

Again, Kenny, don't tell me what you think you know about the town I've lived in 40+ years. The blanket ''poor economy'' excuse in Truax's release is fine but it really doesn't apply to Minot ............ the point I'm making is that Minot should've never been one of the weak sisters when this thing came to an end. Minot's owners bungled this season from the start and they should've just voted to take the year off if it was looking so bad elsewhere. There is a nice fanbase in Minot but Lindbo and his marketing person-of-the-week approach totally sucked. As far as Minot not going along with Bismarck (Dakota) to the CBA years ago, that's a completely different can of worms. Bismarck/Mandan is 4 times as large as Minot and it's a much wealthier community. Minot was probably maxed-out back in the Snowbears days when they were bringing-in 2000 fans whereas Bismarck was doing that with minimal-to-average effort in that town.... Minot did have a chance to go to the CBA at that time at a bit of a discounted rate even I'm told but it was just too much of a leap and the Minot owner at the time had political responsibilities to tend to instead of run a ballclub. Just because Minot didn't make the leap at that time doesn't mean there isn't a fanbase here..... there's a perfect fanbase for a Tier 2 type of league like the PBL or recent CBA, but probably not enough to support the D-League or the CBA circa 2000.

Return to “CBA”