The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:23 pm

I like Mike Tomlin and Big Ben, though.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 pm

[quote=""psbf""]They're ok, but my choice is Arizona. I don't like Hines Ward, he never attended any Xplosion games(one being in his honor).[/quote]

So the fact that Ward is one of the most respected people in the NFL, has been called a hero in South Korea, and has been praised for his charitable foundation and work with kids doesn't matter; only his percieved lack of respect for the Xplosion is important enough for you to not only not like him, but to root for Arizona as well?

Talk about being in the smallest fraction of a minority opinion, especially in Pittsburgh.

Was any explanation given as to why he was not there? Is it possible that there was a conflict of scheduling that prohibitied Ward from being there? Do you actually know, or are you again relying on your "inside information" gleaned solely from being a fan?

And don't you think your world might be just slightly enhanced if you were to expand your circle of interest beyond a defunct minor league basketball team?
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:46 pm

[quote=""psbf""]I like Mike Tomlin and Big Ben, though.[/quote]

But not enough to root for them, apparently.

Since, you know, they play with the ungrateful Hines Ward...
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 pm

As far as H.W. is concerned, no reason was given.

As far as spreading the word, I send to everyone I have addresses for, including the other teams. I'm also hoping to visit the Xplosion sponsor links.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:26 pm

[quote=""psbf""]As far as H.W. is concerned, no reason was given.
[/quote]

So, you don't know why he wasn't there, yet you don't like him anyway.

Makes perfect sense...
:rolleyes:

Hoops Rulz
Site Admin

Post by Hoops Rulz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi guys . . . First time poster. I'm originally from Pittsburgh and also followed the Pirahnas. I recall the season they were in Pittsburgh because I attended most of their games. Unfortunately, the crowds of about 1000 to 1500 never really improved, despite what others say.

In fact, the 1500, or so, average was only about half of what the owner needed to make money. I know there are some very unrealistic people who feel teams should be kept alive, even if the owners are losing boatloads of money, just for the pleasure of said fans. Well . . . In the real world it does not work that way. People start franchises because they think they can be profitable. If that is not possible, they close shop and try something else.

Anyway, here is a blurb from Wikipedia:
The team only lasted one season, before folding. According to Bob Murphy, the owner of the Piranhas, the main reason for collapse of the franchise was the team's attendance. The average attendance for the team was 1,600. For the team to be profitable, it needed an average of 3,000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Piranhas

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:15 pm

[quote=""PikevilleOT""]sounds like you want them to follow your lead and they want you to follow their lead.... someone will have to bend to benefit the chance of a team returning.

if they are having such success in promoting, where were these people for attendence last year? a party with over 1200 people woudl make for one of the xplosion's best home crowds last year.[/quote]
Can we stop pretending that the other people on that message board are real? They're making fun of psbf. They are mocking you, dude. They're not holding events or promoting the team, they're making fun of it.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Hoops, I was there for half of the season for the Piranhas, before then I listend on radio. The team drew over 3,000 for the Championship games. You're only talking about the regular season and even that over 1,000 attraction is impressive(imo).
I agree that owners want to make money, but it's unfair on fans for the owners to just pull the team without warning(I know that it's done in other sports too)!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 pm

And thanks, Chris. I figured they were doing that, I just ignore them now and continue what I do.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm

[quote=""psbf""] I agree that owners want to make money, but it's unfair on fans for the owners to just pull the team without warning (I know that it's done in other sports too)![/quote]

But is it fair for you to expect these owners to continue to burn through cash - with no hope of breaking even, much less make a profit - year after year, so you have a cheap baasketball game to attend?

The history of professional basketball in Pittsburgh is one of minimal to no interest. Local people with a basketball jones try to start up a team, but - as is proven in every case - there is not nearly enough local interest in minor league basketball to sustain much beyond a season or two. When the bills begin to mount, and the revenue streams are not there, pulling the team is their option. You can't sell something that others are unwilling to buy.

Sports is business to owners - if not at first, eventually - and if your business is failing, you cut your losses and move along...

Return to “CBA”