EK Miners run Wild...

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

EK Miners run Wild...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 am

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3755140
EK Miners Set CBA Winning Margin Record in 172-70 Victory
December 21, 2008 - Continental Basketball Association (CBA) East Kentucky Miners

PIKEVILLE, KY. - The East Kentucky Miners - one of the highest scoring teams in professional basketball - established another record Sunday evening at the East Kentucky Expo Center. The Miners, a franchise that set a single-game scoring record of 194 points in a home finale as part of the 2007-08 season, defeated the West Virginia Wild 172-70 Sunday in another Interleague Challenge Game pitting a CBA franchise versus an ABA franchise. The 102-point spread is a CBA record for winning margin.
Mike Dean led the Miners with a game-high 50 points and 10 rebounds.

The Miners excelled offensively and defensively, holding West Virginia to a 29-percent shooting effort from the field.

"Mike Dean had a great ball game," said East Kentucky Coach Kevin Keathley. "We played much better offensively. Defensively, we didn't give up 100 points again like we did the game before. Instead, we were able to hold them to 29 percent shooting.

I'm proud of our team and the tremendous effort that was given."

Eight different East Kentucky players scored 10 or more points as the host team rolled.

Jermaine Blackburn, fresh off of a rare quadruple-double performance the night before, scored 22 points, handed out 13 assists and pulled down 10 rebounds.

Blackburn also recorded a game-high four steals for the Miners.

Delvin Thomas scored 20 points and hauled in nine rebounds for host East Kentucky.

Joe Buck, one of the top rebounders in the CBA, scored 19 points and grabbed a game-high 20 rebounds. Other players who reached double figures in the scoring column for the Miners included Mine Crain (17 points), former University of Kentucky standout Wayne Turner (15 points), Justin Taylor (13 points) and Alonzo Hird (10 points). Turner dished off a game-high 12 assists for the triumphant East Kentucky team.

Galen Young scored six points, dished off six assists and claimed three rebounds for the Miners.

East Kentucky dominated. The Miners were on pace to reach 200 points after outscoring West Virginia 50-12 in the opening quarter. East Kentucky, which led West Virginia 86-25 at the half, never scored less than 36 points in a single quarter.

The Miners continued to dominate in the second half, outscoring West Virginia 49-22 in the second quarter.

East Kentucky shot 71 percent from the field and 84 percent at the free throw line.

Daniel Hicks led West Virginia with 26 points and eight rebounds.

East Kentucky will return to the Expo Center for another Interleague Challenge game Friday, Jan. 2. For the Jan. 2 Miners game and every matchup played on a Friday night for the remainder of the season, all tickets are $5 thanks to a partnership with Appalachian Wireless deemed $5 Fridays.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:05 am

winning by 102 points?? How many were there and was anyone left by games end?

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 am

It's two bad that this will be a new CBA record. Congrats to the Miners, but it's a ****ty way for a record to be set in a league with so much history.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 am

I think this shouldn't be a CBA record, as it was not played against a CBA team. I could find a team of lepers and have a CBA team go out there and beat them by 500, and would that stand as a record? No, it wouldn't. It's just a shame that it will stand as is.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:47 am

[quote=""Precious Roy""]I think this shouldn't be a CBA record, as it was not played against a CBA team. I could find a team of lepers and have a CBA team go out there and beat them by 500, and would that stand as a record? No, it wouldn't. It's just a shame that it will stand as is.[/quote]

As much as everybody will grumble about this, the fact of the matter is that this game WILL count in the CBA standings, therefore it IS a CBA game, and therefore the 102 points as a margin of victory will stand. It also means that Mike Dean becomes the first CBA player in three years to score 50 or more points in a game.

It will stand like Jermaine Blackburn's quadruple-double will stand, as all CBA-ABA games played in CBA buildings will stand as CBA victories. It stands just the same as the 194 points the Miners scored last year against what was essentially a replacement Atlanta Krunk squad.

Speaking of which, how many teams last year feasted on an undermanned Atlanta Krunk squad? Didn't the Xplosion get a few 7-0 victories out of a Krunk team that, at one point, could only put four healthy players on the court? You want to throw those games out? Can't do it.

But see, here's the thing. The CBA makes provisions for records earned under unusual circumstances. In the most recent media guide, the CBA acknowledges that some All-Star Game scoring records were set in 1979, when the Rochester Zeniths' game was snowed out, essentially creating a two-day, six-quarter ASG matchup. The CBA acknowledged those records, but also lists any other specific records for the All-Star Game played under normal circumstances.

Certainly the records can go in the books, but I would think that the inclusion of an asterisk for those stats (as they were earned against admittedly inferior ABA opposition) would be entirely appropriate.

Besides, the ABA shouldn't complain about this. It's probably the first time anybody gave a rat's droppings about their statistics anyways... :)

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:58 am

And while we're at it...

MINERS TEAM RECORDS BROKEN OR TIED IN DEC. 21, 2008 MINERS-WILD GAME:

Most points, single game - Mike Dean, 50 (broke previous record of 44 against Atlanta Krunk on March 2, 2008 )
Most rebounds, single game - Joe Buck, 20 (ties previous record set by James "Boo" Jackson, three separate times)
Fewest points allowed - 70 (broke previous record of 82 against Pittsburgh, Dec. 23 2007)

I would have to see the full box score to determine if any other team or CBA records were shattered.

Whee!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:49 am

I remember that Atlanta game when they visited. Despite the Krunk being short-handed, I remember being glad to see a team wearing their own clothes(Great Falls and Oklahoma) had to borrow our ABA uniforms.

Nubb16
Site Admin

Post by Nubb16 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:41 am

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Go Miners!
Go Miners!

Return to “CBA”