Patroons win again vs. NJ Express

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
panchess
Site Admin

Not much notice either..

Post by panchess » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:27 pm

..the first week of the season has been catch-as-catch-can. Thursday night wasn't a scheduled night for the Patroons on the original schedule, and weeknights just before Christmas can be "messy." I missed Tuesday's game due to my daughter's Christmas concert.

I got there about 6-7 minutes late and they were doing intros. The 20 minute late thing in the paper was an exaggeration, but the few minutes late worked for me.

The games immediately after Christmas are normally big attendance nights for the Patroons. If they aren't this year (particularly as the 26th and 27th are Friday and Saturday night), that is a major problem.

Personally I am glad the Christmas night game was dropped. I thought it was a dumb idea anyway. The week between Christmas and New Year's, though, should be full of games. A lot more people are off and looking for things to do.

Melissa, the concession woman, told me business was pathetic.

As for Albany, I think the only thing that will work is a D-League franchise. The quality of play has to get back to the level of the people on the banners on the wall, or else fans won't come in big numbers.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Are you forgetting the PBL and possible rivalries with Rochester and Buffalo? I would think that should gain some interest in your fans.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:28 pm

[quote=""psbf""]Are you forgetting the PBL and possible rivalries with Rochester and Buffalo? I would think that should gain some interest in your fans.[/quote]
I think that such a situation would be beneficial to the Patroons but I get the feeling that Patroons management at least considers the PBL to be an inferior league.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't believe current management has interest in the PBL, though this year's experience may be changing that view.

From a rivalry standpoint, Manchester and Vermont would be natural rivals for Albany as well. They are actually closer to Albany than Rochester and Buffalo. The current PBL footprint would work far better for Albany than the CBA has since the Patroons returned to the league.

Though the ABA teams aren't ideal, going to Jersey and NYC for road games is a lot cheaper for the Patroons than any current CBA team.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 pm

It's an impressive number, but 1,000 season tickets just doesn't make sense to me.

First off, there doesn't seem to be that much interest in Albany. If 400 or so is their best turnout this year, why would the buyers fork out the money for tickets that not a lot of people care about any more?

Even if it was corporations that bought the tickets, does it make sense that well over 60% are being unused? That number is probably closer to 80% if you included walk up in the attendance figures. I just don't see anyone buying that many tickets when there is just no demand. I think last year that the Rainmen had around 200 season ticket holders, but they averaged closer to 2,000 fans a game. That's like polar opposites.

It just seems weird to me. Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

Return to “CBA”