Minor league basketball died July 9, 2008

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:07 pm

I don't know how there are 5 teams! Only 4 that I know of who are current.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey Chuckie. Ask you buddy in Albany there, Mr, Coyne, then you can e-mail me an apology. This is the one and only time I will share with you where the info came from. If you were in the "know"...which after the past year I know you are not, you would have heard through other sources as I did that the CBA and ABA talked about interleague play.

(yawn) awaiting your apology !!

Please go write another story about a toy and win an award, you are a good writer. Lets leave it at that.

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:28 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]Hey Chuckie. Ask you buddy in Albany there, Mr, Coyne, then you can e-mail me an apology. This is the one and only time I will share with you where the info came from. If you were in the "know"...which after the past year I know you are not, you would have heard through other sources as I did that the CBA and ABA talked about interleague play.

(yawn) awaiting your apology !!

Please go write another story about a toy and win an award, you are a good writer. Lets leave it at that.[/quote]

Waiting for a response from Chuck in 3......2......1........
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Here Chris, let me answer for Chuck............

Scoop Diamond named media agent for Utica Wreckers.

Deaf and blind amputee Scoop Diamond was named media agent for the Wreckers at a press conference today at midnight. Scoop didnt know the difference as the wreckers didnt pay the utility bills. His frist press release was approved by the Gwizzles and as usual the brail was placed in the wrong position. When asked by the janitor and night watchman through a special vibrating device located on scoops ear if he liked his new job. Scoop replied> "ahd leek cheeese width dat booger and freyes"

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]Here Chris, let me answer for Chuck............

Scoop Diamond named media agent for Utica Wreckers.

Deaf and blind amputee Scoop Diamond was named media agent for the Wreckers at a press conference today at midnight. Scoop didnt know the difference as the wreckers didnt pay the utility bills. His frist press release was approved by the Gwizzles and as usual the brail was placed in the wrong position. When asked by the janitor and night watchman through a special vibrating device located on scoops ear if he liked his new job. Scoop replied> "ahd leek cheeese width dat booger and freyes"[/quote]

Eh, I give it a two on a ten scale as the spelling is off and doesn't come close to the original story line.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 pm

a1sports = *yawn*

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Your too kind Chris...Id give it a zero..the same grade Id give Chuck for his information gathering and sources in the basketball world. SO easy for him to comment on someones post but difficult for him to build a list of excellent contacts for info.

I heard he was buddy buddy with Doyle. then where is any info on the PBL?
How about any info on anything basketball related?

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]Your too kind Chris...Id give it a zero..the same grade Id give Chuck for his information gathering and sources in the basketball world. SO easy for him to comment on someones post but difficult for him to build a list of excellent contacts for info.

I heard he was buddy buddy with Doyle. then where is any info on the PBL?
How about any info on anything basketball related?[/quote]

Actually, he is as good as they come. Watch the personal attacks A1.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:41 pm

The CBA has been looking into a lot of things in the off season, and exhibition games with ABA being one of them, but it was totally rejected. When you don't have a lot of teams, you have to look at other avenues, so they were bouncing around a lot of different scenerios, but that does not mean the League has come to any level down to the aba status.

Minor league basketball has been in trouble for awhile, and it continues to get worse. With the aau mentality saturating our country, it has created rise to people who think you can run a pro basketball team like a aau team for thier 13 year old son.

The real good basketball people who used to be involved with basketball, are now either in the D-league, a few are in the CBA, and a couple are spattered thoughout the rest of these generic leagues.

I would like to know, how many people who are coaching or in management in the ibl,aba,cba, and pbl, ever saw a minorleague game of basketball in, lets say in the 90's or even as late as 2001. How many ever saw a game, talked with a GM back then or held a conversation with a basketball operations person, and talked with these people on how the operations runs, and what the process is to getting quality players and quality play.

It is simply a shame what has happened to basketball, in terms of minorleagues here in the states. More has been less when it comes to basketball.

And I include myself when it comes to this criticism, I mean I was an assistant in the ibl a few years ago, heck ther is no way in the 90,s that I would have been any where near the bench of a CBA team unless I bought a season ticket.

Standards, what has happened?

I my friends, like to keep it real!

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]The CBA has been looking into a lot of things in the off season, and exhibition games with ABA being one of them, but it was totally rejected. When you don't have a lot of teams, you have to look at other avenues, so they were bouncing around a lot of different scenerios, but that does not mean the League has come to any level down to the aba status.

Minor league basketball has been in trouble for awhile, and it continues to get worse. With the aau mentality saturating our country, it has created rise to people who think you can run a pro basketball team like a aau team for thier 13 year old son.

The real good basketball people who used to be involved with basketball, are now either in the D-league, a few are in the CBA, and a couple are spattered thoughout the rest of these generic leagues.

I would like to know, how many people who are coaching or in management in the ibl,aba,cba, and pbl, ever saw a minorleague game of basketball in, lets say in the 90's or even as late as 2001. How many ever saw a game, talked with a GM back then or held a conversation with a basketball operations person, and talked with these people on how the operations runs, and what the process is to getting quality players and quality play.

It is simply a shame what has happened to basketball, in terms of minorleagues here in the states. More has been less when it comes to basketball.

And I include myself when it comes to this criticism, I mean I was an assistant in the ibl a few years ago, heck ther is no way in the 90,s that I would have been any where near the bench of a CBA team unless I bought a season ticket.

Standards, what has happened?

I my friends, like to keep it real![/quote]

It is interesting, before the Frost Heaves came to Vermont, I had never seen a minor league basketball game. From what I have seen in the last three years, the level of play is good, but not what it is overseas.

Now, to pose a question to everyone: What will it take for minor league basketball to be a success in the US? Will it take merging of leagues, somehow getting everyone together and creating the same system baseball has, or something else?

To me minor league basketball can succeed, it just hasn't been done right. Other than the D-League, there isn't any sort of feeder system to the NBA, and there isn't any real solid development.

What I would love to see is something like the D-League be similar to AAA, the PBL AA, and maybe the IBL as Single A. Let the Almost Basketball Association either die or leave them as an independent league similar to the GBL and the Can-Am League.

If minor league teams were affiliated with an NBA team, there would be more money coming in to their affiliates and therefore more stability with their teams.

Just throwing it out there.....

Return to “CBA”