Three Game Series Now -------------

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Cazzzmo
Site Admin

the refs ------------

Post by Cazzzmo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:29 pm

FRONT OFFICE: the guy that you're apparently referencing is NOT a "Minot High" guy........ if its a husky dude, yes, balding and about 6'2", that guy is from Devils Lake ND (about 3 hours from Minot) and he was doing minor league ball long before the Skyrockets came to Minot. His name escapes me at the moment but I can make a quick phone call to get it. Anyways, I really don't think he's Daleo's "boy". And, honestly, what we've seen of him in Minot I'd say he's a better than average CBA Ref. Not fantastic but definitely better than most that have come thru. I'd like to know exactly who did the game last night ......... there's a ''ref duo'' out there that's scary they're so bad but I've never seen them split-up (therefore not working with the Devils Lake ND guy.....). Anyway, I'll reserve comment because I was obviously not at the game in person (and had to listen on the radio as opposed to trying to watch the webcast) but be it known that Minot has gotten ''hosed'' in a big way on their home court a number of times this year. I would admit it almost does seem as though the CBA crews try to keep games close, sans the expected blowouts when the sparse Krunk squad was on the road.

Cazzzmo
Site Admin

Post by Cazzzmo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 pm

two quick things:

1>>> yes, I know who it was on the radio last night after the game (Minor) . . . . see the first post in the thread

2>>> i wish and hope somebody got a little video of Ronnie's game winner last night and that they'll post it on YouTube. if somebody's got it, please, please post it!!!

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Mark Riggs. That's the ref from Devils Lake. He was HORRIBLE even when the Dakota Wizards were in the CBA. I can't believe he still has a job. We would get stuck with him all the time here in Bismarck.

Anyway, GO MINOT!!!!!!!!!

Kev the Cav
Site Admin

Post by Kev the Cav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:24 pm

[quote=""USBasket_EricE""]Mark Riggs. That's the ref from Devils Lake. He was HORRIBLE even when the Dakota Wizards were in the CBA. I can't believe he still has a job. We would get stuck with him all the time here in Bismarck.

Anyway, GO MINOT!!!!!!!!![/quote]

You guys know your CBA. That is the ref. He wears #8. I googled his name and found a list of CBA referees at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continenta ... ssociation

The other referee wore #10, but he's not on the list...

Riggs seemed to enjoy making the fans boo. He was laughing a couple times when we got real loud.

It's funny in hindsight, but at the start of game one I told my daughter I was glad to see referee #8 out there. He'd done a couple of our games - I think against Yakama- and seemed pretty good.

SUNKINGS
Site Admin

Post by SUNKINGS » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:47 pm

I am not positive but the "Devils Lake dork" Is the head CBA referee.
On a lighter note I saw him shopping at the mall on Valentines day. And I walked up to him and told him the Eye glasses store is right around the corner. Of course that went racing over his head. Then I explained , I knew he was a ref. He still struggled with it . What a major dumbass.

Kev the Cav
Site Admin

Post by Kev the Cav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm

[quote=""SUNKINGS""]I am not positive but the "Devils Lake dork" Is the head CBA referee.
On a lighter note I saw him shopping at the mall on Valentines day. And I walked up to him and told him the Eye glasses store is right around the corner. Of course that went racing over his head. Then I explained , I knew he was a ref. He still struggled with it . What a major dumbass.[/quote]

Sunkings, if that is true, it's hilarious. If it's not true, don't tell me. I want to believe!

Hopefully, he won't ref another finals game. Whether he's being unfair or is just inept, I think the league should get another pair to ref the Minot games.

SUNKINGS
Site Admin

Post by SUNKINGS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:39 am

Actually I am coming clean. I saw the other ref (the short older guy with the weatherman hair) Larry Killups at the mall and said it to him.(with said response) But I also saw Mark Riggs shopping on valentines day. And he is a dumbass. So basically it is all true, in some sort of NW stoned way.

By the way by the way, did I mention did I mention, the OK radio guy had like 6 cell phones in front of him to broadcast the OK/YAK game. One of the most awesome sites i have seen.

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 am

I was just checking that Wiki list of CBA refs and there are more stories I can share. Ron Arthur has a history of being a terrible ref in Bismarck. Game 2 - 2003 National Conference Finals - Yakima @ Dakota - Arthur was one of the two refs officiating that game...let me put it this way, in the fourth quarter the entire arena was chanting "These refs suck! These refs suck!....." Obviously the Sun Kings won that game and eventually made it to the championship game and won it. The Sioux Falls Skyforce picked up their first ever victory in Bismarck during the 2003-2004 season (I believe it was the same day Saddam Hussein was found), guess who was officiating that game?? Yep. Arthur. He wears #14 BTW.

Shannon Bone. He's the white guy that jogs up and down the court for a few minutes before every game. In the Wiki article, it mentions that Bone has officiated championship games. That's true. He was in Bismarck for the 2004 Title game between the Wizards and the Idaho Stampede. He and Doug Rogan. Before that game I was thinking "Oh crap, the Wizards are toast." But it ended up being a good game after all. Bone does have a history. Nothing specific comes to mind though...

I see Jesse Bromley is listed too. Let me just say this, if I recognize a ref's name, it most likely means they are trouble. One name I don't see is Jesse Hall. That's good, for the current CBA teams' sakes.

Back when the Wizards were in the CBA, one of the team's sponsors was a place that sells eye glasses. Every time a ref made a terrible call that got the crowd on their feet booing, the PA announcer would read the following advertisement pitch: "Do you need your eyes examined? For excellent eye care, go to...." I had to laugh every time I heard that. Also, the people running the scoreboard liked to put messages up on it every time there was a bad call. It has TV screens, so what they would do is zoom in on the ref that made the call, and put large text over him that read "YOU BLEW THAT CALL". They only did that for one season. I wish they'd do it more often.

The D-League has some pretty crappy refs as well (3 per game), but I think the CBA's refs are still worse. I haven't been to very many Wizards games this season, but I did attend the one when the Los Angeles D-Fenders were in town. At halftime, as both teams were heading towards the locker rooms, the 3 idiots walked to center court and received the loudest boos I had ever heard. I stood up with 2 thumbs down and the other people in my section followed my lead. It felt good, man.

Some advice for the fans of the Skyrockets and Cavalry, just pray that the refs I mentioned above are NOT going to be calling the last 3 games of the Finals. The games will be better and not as stressful. I have a little dilemma for which team I should root for. Both teams have a former Dakota Wizard. Kevin Rice in Minot and Shawn Daniels in Oklahoma. It's hard to pick one over the other, but in the end I'm going for Minot. NORTH DAKOTA PRIDE LOL!!

Cazzzmo
Site Admin

yes Riggs is the guy.

Post by Cazzzmo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:11 am

for what its worth, Riggs seems to be on duty during the '06 CBA Finals as depicted in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRHwAjGSGg
(if the link doesn't work, search "CBA Gary" on YouTube)

......... more evidence of what i'd mentioned earlier pertaining to him being a CBA regular long before the Minot team was around. anyways, i'll stick to my assessment that he's better than most in this league but i will admit that's not saying much. i've definitely seen a lot stuff called rather differently in my two years watching closely in Minot. hate to dissappoint but i'd be willing to bet he's on duty for at least one more game and maybe two in this series.

CBA Veteran
Site Admin

Post by CBA Veteran » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:13 am

It is amazing that when the Cavs lose a game, bad officiating is the reason.

I guess it doesn't matter that:

1-They don't score a bucket for the last half of the final period
2-They miss a wide open three in the closing seconds
3-They rebound the missed three and miss a follow
4-They fail to guard the inbounder and the inbounder makes them pay with a game-winning three

None of that matters because the loss was due to bad officiating.

It was also amazing that one of the "classy" owners of the Cavs went out onto the court, ripped off his jacket and threw it to the floor. When you have a coach like Michael Ray and an ownership group that allows the man to act like a fool on the court, it stands to reason that the ownership group will soon follow.

Return to “CBA”