CBA/PBL Merger: Still Possible or No?

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:58 pm

[quote=""psbf""]DandA, maybe odd was not the right word. I guess I meant interesting. Even being the PBL first season I would think it would last a little longer.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I follow. What would you think would last longer? Their 20 game season is almost done, and given their emphasis on fewer games, I expected a single elimination type of tournatment.

Nubb16
Site Admin

Post by Nubb16 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:18 am

Few questions here...

If the CBA/PBL Merge does happen, what will the league be called and I don't know how the PBL does their standings so will it still be done with Quarter Points?
Go Miners!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:03 am

I agree that a single elimination is good for the PBL. But they are the only league that I know that has only played a 3 month schedule. That is what I find strange. A schedule is usually 6 or 7 months.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:28 am

[quote=""Nubb16""]Few questions here...

If the CBA/PBL Merge does happen, what will the league be called and I don't know how the PBL does their standings so will it still be done with Quarter Points?[/quote]

Still to be worked out. Don't be surprised if there is a totrally new name.

What is important is a workable financial program. Costs have to be reasonable or Doyle will have more than 3 franchises failing next season.

These teams need to set up marketing and sales operations. I have been talking to a new team owner recently. Here is a guy who has money and has run businesses but he is clueless about running a professional sports franchise. He is figuring it out but you can't believe the questions he asks me.

If his new team's media knew about it, they would be wondering if the team will make it. He now has a business plan and if he properly funds it, he'll do OK. This city has has enough problems of late and doesn't need another fool/tool ruining that market!
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:14 pm

the IBL Season is basically 3 months, the usbl season was basically 3 months as well. I think the WBA season was 2 months last time they played.

panchess
Site Admin

CBA 17 weeks or so...

Post by panchess » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:41 pm

..one reason the D-League is more expensive is the extra five weeks or so in the season to more closely mirror the NBA season.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm

[quote=""psbf""]I agree that a single elimination is good for the PBL. But they are the only league that I know that has only played a 3 month schedule. That is what I find strange. A schedule is usually 6 or 7 months.[/quote]

They had the season schedule the way they did, because it gave them a better chance of having all their ducks in a row before starting.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:33 pm

[quote=""bomp""]Still to be worked out. Don't be surprised if there is a totrally new name.

What is important is a workable financial program. Costs have to be reasonable or Doyle will have more than 3 franchises failing next season.

These teams need to set up marketing and sales operations. I have been talking to a new team owner recently. Here is a guy who has money and has run businesses but he is clueless about running a professional sports franchise. He is figuring it out but you can't believe the questions he asks me.

If his new team's media knew about it, they would be wondering if the team will make it. He now has a business plan and if he properly funds it, he'll do OK. This city has has enough problems of late and doesn't need another fool/tool ruining that market![/quote]

Just thinking out loud. Please slam with care if necessary...

Do you get the sense that there aren't any GOOD owners out there giving 100% disclosure of their best practices? Reason: they want to win ball games, so make sure the new owner has "enough money," but doesn't necessarily help when perhaps it should be done?

Of course, there's also the possibility that a new owner doesn't trust the other owners. There's the possibility that this owner thinks "it worked in that town, but my town isn't that town."

How does a commissioner foster trust between owners? That's probably worthy of its own discussion.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

bballnut
Site Admin

Post by bballnut » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Runninref,

I like your breakdowns of the leagues. I agree, except for maybe the IBL. They have a great concept money wise, and cluster wise. The Commis needs to concentrate on the business side, and get out of the ownership business. It could also be a conflict with him being an owner. The talent in this league is better, and there are some solid teams. However, with teams like Gary in the IBL you will have to keep up with them. With the league fees being so small, they can spend more money on players. I am not sure most IBL teams will be able to compete with Gary.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:51 pm

psbf, problem is that minor league ball has not proven it can make a six month season viable from a business perspective.

Return to “CBA”