Seattle Explorers

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:08 pm

[quote=""rider""]The league has to show some credibility and pull the franchise from Tuckman![/quote]

Too late. The CBA has lost credibility already.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Too late. The CBA has lost credibility already.[/quote]

The remaining CBA teams will join with the remaining PBL teams next season. The papers to be signed shortly after the playoffs.
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

psbf
Site Admin

I'm going to wait

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:13 am

for the official announcement, as I'm still a bit skeptical about the merger idea.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 am

[quote=""bomp""]The remaining CBA teams will join with the remaining PBL teams next season. The papers to be signed shortly after the playoffs.[/quote]

What good does a merger do?

sj2u
Site Admin

Post by sj2u » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:25 am

[quote=""rider""]The league has to show some credibility and pull the franchise from Tuckman![/quote]

Absolutely 100% agree - if the league keeps putting out press releases that "pat him on the back" they have 0 credibility

rider
Site Admin

Merger

Post by rider » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:56 am

[quote=""bomp""]The remaining CBA teams will join with the remaining PBL teams next season. The papers to be signed shortly after the playoffs.[/quote]

Do you think the merger will be under the CBA label or the PBL? I believe this is in everyone's best interest. CBA's management has to go!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:43 am

Obviously, anyone who is in favor of a merger is forgetting about the differences in the leagues that have to be negotiated on. You can't just agree on combining leagues just like that! Some may not like the quarter points system of this league, but I think that's what makes it unique.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 am

I don't think quarter points will be a breaking point in negotiations, I think the bigger problem will be what teams will be allowed, what would the owners have to have, league rules I guess you could say, who gets voting rights on the board and issues like that..... I think records, and simple rules are little issues in a negotiations......

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:37 pm

I figured that the whole teams would be included in the merger. But if they do go by select teams, then I may have concerns.

panchess
Site Admin

CBA/PBL Combination

Post by panchess » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:48 pm

If it happens, it would be a good thing.

I assume the CBA name would be used. Despite the recent management problems, it's probably still the most recognizable minor league basketball name out there. Also, in a couple PBL cities (Rockford and Quad Cities come to mind), I think the CBA name would upgrade the local coverage and attention.

From the CBA, I assume Atlanta, Butte and Great Falls drop out, leaving seven teams from that league.

From the PBL, I assume Jacksonville and Dallas drop out. I don't know enough about the other teams in the league in order to know if any of the other teams would be folding.

That leaves 15 teams.

CBA: Albany, Pittsburgh, Minot (ND), Yakama, RGV (TX), Oklahoma, East Kentucky

PBL: Rochester, Reading (PA), Rockford, Arkansas, Wilmington (NC), Maryland, Chicago, Quad Cities (IL).

Assuming three divisions of five, here is what I get:

East: Albany, Pittsburgh, Reading, Maryland, Rochester

Midwest: East Kentucky, Chicago, Quad Cities, Rockford, Wilmington

West: Yakama, RGV, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Minot

Not bad. Minot, Wilmington, Yakama and RGV are a bit out there, but maybe there would be an expansion team to help in those areas.

The core East and Midwest divisions are low-travel leagues, which is a big help.

Return to “CBA”