Proofread, Corning, Proofread...

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Proofread, Corning, Proofread...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:16 am

I know you are enthusiastic about your team, but some quick, friendly advice:

Either proofread your releases before you send them out, or hire someone with the requisite skills to do so for you:
Bulldogs Sign Four More Star Players
07/22/07 - American Basketball Association (ABA) Corning Bulldogs

• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
Corning, NY -- The Corning Bulldogs has announced the signings of four players for the expansion team that will begin play in November.
According to James R. Schutz, team co-owner & general manager, "Our goal origninally was to win the league championship - however after seeing how over the top the team is in talent, I no longer believe just a championship is enough. If we dont punish teams by 30 points or more in this league everynight then I think my guys might take it as a loss personally even when we win the game "

The Newest additions :

David Ruffin, 6'4" Guard, 200 lbs brother of former Philidelphia 76er NBA star Trevor Ruffin. David Averaged 22pts per game in Junior College before spending his last two years of college in the starting lineup for NCAA D-1 University of Hartford. David was a member of the ABA's Buffalo Silverbacks last season and is an instant offense threat somewhat simmilar to Eddie House who currently plays in the NBA.

Clifford Washington, 6'2" Guard who played in college for NCAA D-1 University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff and averaged 20 points per game in route to being named to the all South Western Atheltic Conference team at seasons end. Clifford Spent last season playing in the ABA for the Tijuana Dragons while averaging 17pts 7ast 4reb and 3stls per game. Clifford Washington is the complete package who can not only shoot and defend but he also has one of the highest vertical leaps in the world with a vertical leap of 50 inches (Michael Jordan had a 42 inch vertical leap)

Darnell Jackson, 6'7" forward who was a Junior College all-american at Genesee Community College before moving on to become a NAIA all-american at Daemen College. After College Darnell Jackson went on to play for Team USA on a roster of the best 12 players outside of NCAA D-1 basketball to represent the Unites States in games overseas. Darnell spent last season playing in the IRL Super League in Ireland for St. Vincents while averaging 9.6 pts per game in what is known by many as one of the most talented leagues outside of the NBA.

Ronald Wright, 6'9" Center who played along side Darnell Jackson at Daemen College while leading the Nation back to back years in shots blocked with 3.7 blocks per game as a junior and 3.8 blocks per game his senior year. Prior to playing at Daemen College Ronald was a member of the NCAA D-2 Gannon University basketball team where he led the conference in Blocked shots with 3.2 per game. Ronald has a 7'2 inch wing span and the shot blocking ability to alter the other teams shots and cause havic for opposing teams.

For more information, visit http://www.corningbulldogs.com or email info@corningbulldogs.com
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3511994

Nothing destroys your credibility more than a porrly-written 'official' release.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABA06er
Site Admin

hmmm.....

Post by ABA06er » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 am

if you go to http://www.corningbulldogs.com AND SCROLL DOWN U WILL NOT SEE THE SAME GRAMATICAL ERRORS AS ON OUR SPORTS CENTRAL !

(Removed by moderator)

2.) an intern jumped the gun and didnt prove read before going to oursportscentral but proof read before going to the teams website ? sounds fishy

(Removed by moderator)
Last edited by Fells on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cheap shot at Paul. Would you like ANOTHER ban?

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:10 am

oh man the waste of _________ (fill in the blank) is back. Can we blow him up like the McDonalds Chuck the writer has suggested to blow up also?
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:18 am

[quote=""ABA06er""]if you go to http://www.corningbulldogs.com AND SCROLL DOWN U WILL NOT SEE THE SAME GRAMATICAL ERRORS AS ON OUR SPORTS CENTRAL ![/quote]

Actually, yes you do:

From corningbulldogs.com:
CORNING BULLDOGS SIGN 4 MORE STAR PLAYERS

23-July-2007
Corning, NY -- The Corning Bulldogs has announced the signings of four players
for the expansion team that will begin play in November.

According to James R. Schutz, team co-owner & general manager, "Our goal
originally was to win the league championship - however after seeing how over
the top the team is in talent, I no longer believe just a championship is
enough. If we don’t punish teams by 30 points or more in this league every night
then I think my guys might take it as a loss personally even when we win the
game "

The Newest additions :

David Ruffin, 6'4" Guard, 200 lbs brother of former Philadelphia 76er NBA star
Trevor Ruffin. David Averaged 22pts per game in Junior College before spending
his last two years of college in the starting lineup for NCAA D-1 University of
Hartford. David was a member of the ABA's Buffalo Silverbacks last season and
is an instant offense threat somewhat similar to Eddie House who currently
plays in the NBA.

Clifford Washington, 6'2" Guard who played in college for NCAA D-1 University
of Arkansas-Pine Bluff and averaged 20 points per game in route to being named
to the all South Western Athletic Conference team at seasons end. Clifford
Spent last season playing in the ABA for the Tijuana Dragons while averaging
17pts 7ast 4reb and 3stls per game. Clifford Washington is the complete
package who can not only shoot and defend but he also has one of the highest
vertical leaps in the world with a vertical leap of 50 inches (Michael Jordan
had a 42 inch vertical leap)

Darnell Jackson, 6'7" forward who was a Junior College all-American at Genesee
Community College before moving on to become a NAIA all-American at Daemen
College. After College Darnell Jackson went on to play for Team USA on a
roster of the best 12 players outside of NCAA D-1 basketball to represent the
United States in games overseas. Darnell spent last season playing in the IRL
Super League in Ireland for St. Vincent’s while averaging 9.6 pts per game in
what is known by many as one of the most talented leagues outside of the NBA.

Ronald Wright, 6'9" Center who played along side Darnell Jackson at Daemen
College while leading the Nation back to back years in shots blocked with 3.7
blocks per game as a junior and 3.8 blocks per game his senior year. Prior to
playing at Daemen College Ronald was a member of the NCAA D-2 Gannon University
basketball team where he led the conference in Blocked shots with 3.2 per
game. Ronald has a 7'2 wing span and the shot blocking ability to alter
the other teams shots and cause havoc for opposing teams.

For more information, visit http://www.corningbulldogs.com or email
info@corningbulldogs.com
Proofread, Corning, proofread! Your team releases are a direct reflection of your organization. The perception of a team behind a poorly written news release is not one I'm sure you are looking for as an owner.

ABA06er, did you actually read the website copy, or just look to jump in with both feet with your counter-argument?
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Its all part of the ABA's "fast-exciting, fan friendly basketball' image. Why trouble your fans with press quotes and web sites that look as if they were written by a Harvard grad? No, you need to gain some street-cred.

Deer Mr. Joe:
i talk gooder english than most people in england ; where do i send my appplimication four you two review! Withe my skillz and your 10k cheks we be krunk.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:20 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]Its all part of the ABA's "fast-exciting, fan friendly basketball' image. Why trouble your fans with press quotes and web sites that look as if they were written by a Harvard grad? No, you need to gain some street-cred.

Deer Mr. Joe:
i talk gooder english than most people in england ; where do i send my appplimication four you two review! Withe my skillz and your 10k cheks we be krunk.[/quote]

Must be those fine schools in Corning!!! ;)
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:52 pm

[quote=""ABA06er""]
hmmmmmm...... I can hear the ABA teams knocking at Joe's Door , LET ME BACK IN , LET ME BACK IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

If anything, those teams would be knocking on the CBA's door.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:09 pm

Based on those quotes....that coach should run for the hills and leave the crackpot owner with his "stars!"

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:44 pm

[quote=""bomp""]Must be those fine schools in Corning!!! ;) [/quote]

Hey - I have alot of friends in Corning - keep Corning out of this. The Bulldogs owner isn't from Corning. As a matter of fact, the Bulldogs team office is about 50 miles from Corning, and isn't even in the same area code as Corning. Nothing says "local team" in the 607 area code like a 315 office number.

Seriously, he's making mistakes, but at least it looks like he has signed some decent players and I hope his enthusiasm is rewarded with a complete season. And I hope that the visiting teams actually show up - I plan to get up to Corning to see a few games early in the season.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 am

I'm not knocking the Corning owner as a person, his enthusiasm or his desire to succeed.

But........

team releases are - for the most part - the only coverage and media presence the ABA teams have (some do get some coverage from local media, but not many). A poorly written press release is a direct reflection on the franchise.

Take some time, proofread, and have have 2-3 others read it as well. Then, re-read it. THEN, send it to your media outlets.

Or, hire a press relations person to do the job for you.

Otherwise, you become the Gwizzlies.

Return to “ABA”