Ask the CEO...let the fiction continue

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
notfunny
Site Admin

Post by notfunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:58 pm

Zeke, your sob-story is a complaint against the owner that you started working for, not against the ABA. You can say that the ABA should be more careful with who they award a team too, but your situation with GMing the team and not getting paid or your players not getting paid is exceptional, not common.

OneBetter
Site Admin

Post by OneBetter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:02 pm

I've heard several stories of players and front office personnel from several teams not getting paid, so it's more often than you state, notfunny.

And, notfunny, you seem to exude that you have insider information to the ABA. Why don't you tell us which one of Joe's puppets you are or if you're Joe himself.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:33 pm

[quote=""notfunny""]Zeke, your sob-story is a complaint against the owner that you started working for, not against the ABA. You can say that the ABA should be more careful with who they award a team too, but your situation with GMing the team and not getting paid or your players not getting paid is exceptional, not common.[/quote]

Call it a sob story, but the reality is that this happens in the ABA. You'd like me to be quiet and make this seem like, as you said, an "exceptional, not common" happening, so the ABA doesn't look so bad, but...I won't. I'm not going to keep quiet about what happened to me and MANY other people in this league. People seeking to invest in the Orlando Aces or this league are going to know what they are getting into. I'm voicing my opinions via my right to free speech so that people don't get manipulated like me. I'll be the first to say it - I was a fool to offer my services in this situation. Oh well, life goes on. I can handle it, because I'm an intelligent guy who can utilize an experience, flip it and move towards another opportunity. Some people can't, and they need to know that there are people in the ABA that will manipulate you by using their dreams and aspirations to get you to do something for them - with NOTHING in return.

Oh, and just so you know...just because no law exists to bind someone in the league to help me in my situation doesn't mean that you can't. That's the problem with ignorant, self-seeking people. They look for a way to keep from helping people instead of being decent citizens of good nature and respect.

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:48 pm

From my experience, I would estimate that 90% of the GM's in the ABA are not getting paid.

It is important, however, to seperate those teams whose GM's know they aren't going to get paid and are just doing it for the experience or for fun, and those who are outright lied to by their owners about getting a pay check.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:11 pm

Most of the GMs appear to be the head coach or owner too
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:51 pm

[quote=""besl""]From my experience, I would estimate that 90% of the GM's in the ABA are not getting paid.

It is important, however, to seperate those teams whose GM's know they aren't going to get paid and are just doing it for the experience or for fun, and those who are outright lied to by their owners about getting a pay check.[/quote]

I'll clarify my position and include my own assumption:

There was always talk of getting me paid. I heard everything from,
- "We have to wait until the contracts come in from AJ Discala's attorneys in NY."
- "We'll put you on staff closer to the begginning of the season. It'll be worth your while, trust me."
...After the SYracuse lawsuit and departure of AJ...
- "We're going to work hard, land a couple of sponsorships, and get everybody a little something!"
- "Dee Brown should be buying into the team. When that happens, everyone will be on salary"
- "Right now, we have to start preparing for next year. Let's land a couple sponsors for next year and I'll give you a solid piece of commision!"
- BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....

After I resigned from position as Director of Basketball Operations...

- "Mark I need you back. Tell me what you need and we'll reach an agreement. You wanna play? You'll start at point guard the first game!"
- "You can be the GM. I've got a couple sponsors already, and we had a good turn out at the first camp. Things will be different this year, I promise!"
- BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....

Now, I come back on, he has me forward a couple of items I developed for the team (Sponsorship package, etc.), then after I return from a month vacation to Sri Lanka and Australia, I'm informed that my services are no longer needed. Sure they aren't needed...all of the preliminary work for the season is done!

Whatever, man. Let's be clear - I was NOT told that this was an internship! I was just a little more hopeful of getting paid than I should've been! ABA OFFICE??? Oh, sure, let the guy screw some other people...so long as you have a team representing Orlando to play Jacksonville 123 times!

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:48 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]Now, I come back on[/quote]

Caveat emptor.

Yes, the ABA is full of liars (starting at the top). But I'm guessing there's a decent percentage of the people who feel like they were screwed who probably wouldn't have been screwed if they hadn't had beer goggles on.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

And you knew he was a scorpion when you gave him a ride on your back across the river.

That's only part of the responsibility, obviously. It doesn't excuse anyone in the ABA for deliberately screwing with people (usually young people who don't know any better). But please, folks, open your eyes.

Did you hear about the guy who wanted to work in pro sports in the worst way?

He took a job with an ABA team.

notfunny
Site Admin

Post by notfunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Zeke, apparently the Orlando Aces are a bad orginization. But is it the only one that you spent time in?

If so, stop telling yourself that its an ABA problem, when its an Aces problem.

notfunny
Site Admin

Post by notfunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:12 pm

[quote=""OneBetter""]
And, notfunny, you seem to exude that you have insider information to the ABA. Why don't you tell us which one of Joe's puppets you are or if you're Joe himself.[/quote]

I don't exude that.

Never met dude.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:28 pm

[quote=""notfunny""]Zeke, apparently the Orlando Aces are a bad orginization. But is it the only one that you spent time in?

If so, stop telling yourself that its an ABA problem, when its an Aces problem.[/quote]

I worked for the Orlando Orangemen, too. Different ownership group - both implanted by Joe Newman. FYI, I've rubbed shoulders with several different organizations, of which I'd say only the Jax Jam and Wilmington Sea Dogs seemed up to par to being a legit team. Miami folded (and averaged about 10 people per game, thanks to our 5 family members that traveled with us), Palm Beach which couldn't keep the shot clock working (or keep a coach on the bench - Lamont Carr quit...oh, and I should add that they let Bobby St. Preaux leave because he was upset about not getting paid on time), etc., etc., etc....

Your name says it all about the ABA--- stuff like this is no longer funny....was at first (for those not involved, anyway), but once it became the norm, it no longer remains funny. The ABA would do well to appease the people that have been manipulated in these types of situations, but....they don't care...let me correct that, and give Brad Hester a shout out---Joe Newman doesn't care. Brad wants to, but can't.

Surely (Shirley) you've been reading these boards. I'm one of many people with issues, and those guys in Indiana are owed money from non-payment as well from years ago......

STILL NOT AN ABA PROBLEM? No more comments from the peanut gallery!

Return to “ABA”