It wont be the CBA

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
pistol44
Site Admin

Post by pistol44 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:19 am

[quote=""psbf""]are you pointing at us, pistol44? We were not the only team to leave, although I do admit that I miss watching the action of both the regular season and playoff game of the Xplosion when we were in the ABA.
Honestly, there are pros and cons of each league, that I can see. But two other teams made the same mistake(if you call it that), only we are winning games now, unlike earlier in our season. I'm still a proud Xplosion supporter![/quote]

The reason why I directed the response to Pittsburgh is that your team participated in the scheduling of games for this season with the ABA as part of a division with Buffalo, Rochester, Toledo and Detroit. They then were a part of the CBA draft the following week. Bad move. Your travel expenses increased significantly and you had to turn your team upside down and fire your coach to change things and last year you made the playoffs and this season you can't sniff them.

indy legend
Site Admin

Post by indy legend » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:16 am

On the other hand neither Pittsburg, Minot nor Indiana had to put up with teams not showing up to play the games this season. Indy, Minot and Pittsburg started the year with 24 schedualed home games and all were played against the schedualed opponent at the schedualed time. I'll take the CBA's stability over the ABA's chaos any time. As the number of teams grow due to expansion or ABA teams switching leagues travel will not be as big a problem as it was this season.
The ABA has been promising changes for 6 years now but it's still the same mess it's always been. Three teams got tired of it and made the move. I'm sure others will follow this year. If Newman is still the CEO 6 years from now the ABA will still be the same joke it is now. At least the CBA has the potential to be a real pro league. The ABA? The past six years tell you all you need to know. If you want to stay in the ABA and have half your home games canceled, even though you have done your due diligence in promoting them, because the 3rd or 4th reincarnation of Toledo or Knoxvlle don't show up have at it.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:46 am

[quote=""Minor League Man""]I think the most viable option is the teams starting their own league as well.

NORTHEAST DIVISION:
Buffalo
Cape Cod
Rochester Razorsharks
Syracuse
Vermont
ATLANTIC DIVISION:
Halifax
Maryland
Montreal
Quebec
Reading
SOUTHEAST DIVISION:
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Mississippi
Orlando
Wilmington
CENTRAL DIVISION:
Detroit
Minnesota
Quad City
Peoria Kings
Rochester Fire
MID-SOUTH DIVISION:
Arkansas Aeros
Corpus Christi
Houston
Rio Grande Valley
Texas
PACIFIC DIVISION:
Bellingham
Long Beach
Maywood
Orange County
San Diego

I suggest we call it the Junior National Basketball Union (JNBU: BU would be "buck" you, a nicer way of saying something else.)[/quote]

BAKA YAROU!!!!

Does the word "regional" mean anything to you?
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The CBA can thank its letters of credit for any appearance of stability

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:51 am

[quote=""indy legend""]On the other hand neither Pittsburg, Minot nor Indiana had to put up with teams not showing up to play the games this season. Indy, Minot and Pittsburg started the year with 24 schedualed home games and all were played against the schedualed opponent at the schedualed time. I'll take the CBA's stability over the ABA's chaos any time. As the number of teams grow due to expansion or ABA teams switching leagues travel will not be as big a problem as it was this season.
The ABA has been promising changes for 6 years now but it's still the same mess it's always been. Three teams got tired of it and made the move. I'm sure others will follow this year. If Newman is still the CEO 6 years from now the ABA will still be the same joke it is now. At least the CBA has the potential to be a real pro league. The ABA? The past six years tell you all you need to know. If you want to stay in the ABA and have half your home games canceled, even though you have done your due diligence in promoting them, because the 3rd or 4th reincarnation of Toledo or Knoxvlle don't show up have at it.[/quote]

Pittsburgh won't be playing 24 scheduled home games. Albany won't be playing 24 scheduled road games. The league decided it was easier to award equal quarter points to both teams than it was to make-up the game. Also, the CBA can't afford to hold a post-season any more than the ABA can afford a post-season (ABA teams dropping-out and CBA going straight to the finals). Both leagues are making excuses.

My early prediction (which is a no-brainer, IMO): There won't be CBA basketball in Pittsburgh next season. The Pittsburgh market is lifeless for minor league hoops.

psbf
Site Admin

I don't care

Post by psbf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:57 am

who coaches or plays on the Xplosion, pistol44, I stick by my team and I support them no matter, and I'll continue to. So what if they changed leagues just before the start of this one!? The Xplosion did nothing different than the other teams that also went over. Why don't you find something else to complain about. Better yet, find a team to support.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Another sockpuppet. How many do you have?

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:59 am

[quote=""pistol44""]Pittsburgh made an enormous mistake by leaving the ABA. They were a viable franchise in the ABA and their travel was manageable. But they drank the kool aid from Ricardo and see what has happened? Where did Ricardo learn his "sales pitch" ? You got it....Joe Newman!!!![/quote]

They were far from a viable franchise in the ABA. They're far from a viable franchise now.

You simply can't be a viable franchise drawing three figures paid a game. No matter what league you're in.

Anyone who leaves Joe Newman's league makes a smart move, no matter where they go.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:09 am

If im not mistaken the Xplosion are owned by the same group that owns the 2 Montana teams and Minot. Last season Minot was moved from California for travel cost so I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the team to Fargo, Rochester(MN), Rapid City, Cheyenne, Omaha or somewhere in the midwest...

indy legend
Site Admin

Post by indy legend » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:15 am

you are right Ken. I forgot about the cancelation of the Albany v. Pittsburg game. I'll give you that one, but that's one. How many ABA games have been canceled, postponed, or had another team substituted. As for the playoffs I grant you what the CBA did sucks, espesially for us here in Indy, but at least we were informed of the change ahead of time unlike the ABA circus we are seeing now with teams that qualified pulling out or refusing to travel and the playoff brackets changing on an hourly basis.
I will be the first to agree the CBA has flaws. A lot of them, but I do believe the CBA has a much better chance of getting better. As long as Joe Newman has anything to do with the ABA they will still be trying to get it right 10 years from now,and will still be the same mess with the same problems they have now. I personaly think both league are screwed up but the CBA is the far least of two evils,IMO. Thanks Ken. Good luck to the Stealheads in the USBL. I hope to make a game or two this spring.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:32 am

The C.B.A. has had 2 big problems 1st Isaiah Thomas bought the league he had the right idea in selling it to the nba for a minor league... I was happy that Isaiah bought them but he wanted more money and decided rather to let the league go bankrupt then to sell them.. Second is that the D-league started and took there best franchises.. Most players with nba experience now go to the D-league you see more guys with notable college experience also in the D-league... However I believe that the CBA will get bought out by the NBA.. Maybe 2 seperate leagues such as a vererans league and a 24-U league maybe a AA and AAA or maybe just add the succesful franchises to the exsiting D-league... I would much rather have the CBA come to town the the ABA though but the D-league as surpassed both of them in the past year.

psbf
Site Admin

I don't know

Post by psbf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:47 am

what you have against Pittsburgh, Ken. But I hope your Gary Steelheads fold. The Xplosion will be around for a long time!!!! I don't like seeing anyone say anything against the Xplosion and you seem to enjoy saying it, for whatever reason.

Return to “ABA”