Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:22 pm

He sure told you, Ken. :rolleyes:

panchess
Site Admin

Albany-Pittsburgh cancellation

Post by panchess » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:49 pm

I see this more like a minor league baseball rainout at the end of a homestand.

Sometimes they are made up, sometimes they are not.

Perhaps that is the approach the CBA should have taken. Make it up if necessary on the Monday after the end of the regular season, though in this case the home team didn't have a ton of incentive to make it up.

The other problem is that Pittsburgh ends the year in Yakama. I am guessing it isn't possible for them to get back to Pittsburgh by Monday night, kicking it to Tuesday. The circus comes to Mellon Arena that weekend, and I am guessing they'll be setting the place up during the week for that.

It isn't quite as easy as you would think. In 2004, four MLB teams finished the season one game short (Tampa Bay, Toronto, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee). Money and stadium availability weren't issues there. Need was.

Splitting the points is not an unreasonable alternative to me.

I'll say that this year in the CBA will a seat of the pants kind of effort. One team folded, the other seven played their entire schedule except for the one postponment.

It was a better season than last year's USBL season, at any rate.

psbf
Site Admin

The postponement

Post by psbf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:12 pm

I don't fault the CBA for what happened.
This being an ABA forum, I'll only say that the Patroons could have shared the flight here with the Xplosion, but had some business to take care of. Not knowing that the weather would later get worse in Albany forcing flights to be canceled. Both teams were split points and we got the win. The Pens had played the previous night, here, so the Xplosion could have played also.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:36 pm

[quote=""panchess""]I see this more like a minor league baseball rainout at the end of a homestand.

Sometimes they are made up, sometimes they are not.

Perhaps that is the approach the CBA should have taken. Make it up if necessary on the Monday after the end of the regular season, though in this case the home team didn't have a ton of incentive to make it up...

[/quote]

Hmmmmm. I remember one season when a Railcats baseball game just couldn't be made-up because of so many rainouts. I also remember last season hanging around the ballpark past 11:30pm. We were waiting on a re-start after a rain delay because the game had playoff implications (just like the Albany/Pittsburgh game). The CBA didn't seem to have the same sense of urgency to get their game in.

Apples and oranges when you compare minor league baseball cancellations to what is currently going on in the ABA and CBA.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Decided on two sentences instead of my customary one run-on sentence.

Return to “ABA”