Lets share helpful ideas and not hate

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
cglue
Site Admin

Lets share helpful ideas and not hate

Post by cglue » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:40 am

I have an owners meeting next month and would like you fans and/or critics to share with me three ways we can improve this league. We are already going to cover the 100% compliance on the games, so save us that one. Remember only three and be brief in your explaination. Oh and also, please ideas only, no bashing and negative talk. Lets make next season a great one!!!!!!!!

cglue

DaveHolmes
Site Admin

Post by DaveHolmes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:56 am

1. Hand Joe Newman a noose
2. Tell him to put his head inside it
3. Drop the floor from underneath him

cglue
Site Admin

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by cglue » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:49 am

[quote=""DaveHolmes""]1. Hand Joe Newman a noose
2. Tell him to put his head inside it
3. Drop the floor from underneath him[/quote]

Thats interesting, I get rid of Joe cause you cant follow instructions. All I asked for were suggestions of help, not insults of ignorance.

cglue

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:35 am

GET RID OF JOE!

simple as that!

with Joe in power this league will go nowhere and things will never change, no rules will be inforced, teams will fold, more false probs and Joe talking out of his rear, etc............ i can go on and on and so can everyone else about Joe and how he shouldnt be CEO

He is the BIGGEST problem and needs to be dealt with

**or if your on the east coast get an east coast league started!!

Buffalo,Vermont,Rochester,Quebec,Montreal,Strong Island, Detroit, Maryland, Willmington, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando and add 2 more teams down south

this would make a good league!!
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

Fells
Site Admin

Post by Fells » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:44 am

First of all, the given is that Joe Newmann just has to go. His PR skills are abysmal, and I could go on, but we have been through this before, so I will move on.......

1) Establish new criteria for incoming teams. No, I don't mean upping the franchise fees, I mean before a prospective team even signs a check, they MUST have an arena secured; a business plan; marketing and how they will market the team, prospective sponsors, and enough financing to sustain a team for at least three years.

2) Cap expansion now. At this rate, the league cannot sustain itself with the number of teams they now have. Joe's idea of 100 teams is just plain ridiculous and unrealistic. Cap the number of teams at say 40. Regionalize the teams to cut down on travel costs, but if there are teams within say a ten hour drive, (minor league baseball does that all the time) incorporate those teams into an out of conference schedule.

3) Full background checks on all prospective owners. There cannot be anymore of the guys who are wanted by the law, have credit that makes mine look stellar, or have been accused of unfair business practices, etc. The league has little credibility right now; they need to do something to make fans believe in the league again.

4) Make it mandatory that all teams report their box scores to the league office the same night. In turn, the league hires a full-time or two people to input stats onto the website so stats are automatically updated. This makes the site more fan friendly since we all know we love stats. This also makes ABA players marketable to teams either overseas, or other minor(or even the NBA) league teams. Having stats and standings on an Excel spreadsheet just looks unprofessional.

5) Require each team has a fully functioning website. We all knows websites go down, that is just technology. What I mean is no more dead links, no more incorrect e-mail addresses, etc. In this day and age, the first impression a fan has is a team's website.

6) Financial penalties for missing games. Not making a game for any reason except for weather is just not acceptable. Make it a sliding scale: $5,000 for the first game, $10,000 for the second; then there is not a third. I calculated that the league played only 72% of its games this year. Compare this to other leagues who play all of their games and you get the picture. There has to be accountability which now there seems to be none.

7) If a team misses payroll, they are out with no second chances.

8) Scrap the power rankings as they are too ambiguous and not followed anyway, so why have them?

9) Establish a playoff system and stay with that system. Right now the playoffs are turning into a disaster with teams electing not to play, folding, and throwing a fit if they don't get the matchup they desire. My suggestion is to regionalize the playoffs. In other words have the top two in each division play a best of three with the winner advancing to play against the winner of the divisional series that is closest in geography to a central location of the division. After that, have the next round at the home of the higher seeded team. What this does is to ensure teams play close to home in the first couple of rounds which in turn cuts down on travel costs. Revenue generated from the first two rounds then hopefully pays the costs for the winner to travel outside their normal geographic region.

You see, some of us are jaded when it comes to the league only because we want it to succeed. The ABA has a great product, fantastic rules, and affordable basketball, but many of the fans have lost faith due to the way the league is run. You have to understand cynicism with 50 teams either folding, changing hands, changing names, or even moving in mid-season. From a fan's perspective, why support a team when the league has a history of ineptitude. Alex Wolff and about ten or 12 others in this league have done things the right way. Those are the examples Joe should look at when awarding teams and not simply waiting for the check to clear.

I can elaborate more, and if you message me, I will provide you with my office and cell numbers.

SportsGIG
Site Admin

Your an owner?, ok here it goes,

Post by SportsGIG » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:47 am

First. if you have to come to a blog to get advice on how the league should run. YOU belong in the ABA with all the other dreamers. ( see I used a nice word)

Second, if you still want to be in the ABA, comprehension is a key word.
Read every thing you can when you google Joe Newman and then, COMPREHEND !

Third, Take the money you would lose and donate to charity if you want to get rid of money that fast.

Bonus extra, I know you asked for only three. Go to another league that has credibility. Also talk to the other 47 previous owners in the ABA if you can, they may be hurting because Joe threw every single one of them under the bus. Is your health insurance paid up ?

Fells
Site Admin

Post by Fells » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:56 am

[quote=""SportsGIG""]First. if you have to come to a blog to get advice on how the league should run. YOU belong in the ABA with all the other dreamers. ( see I used a nice word)

Second, if you still want to be in the ABA, comprehension is a key word.
Read every thing you can when you google Joe Newman and then, COMPREHEND !

Third, Take the money you would lose and donate to charity if you want to get rid of money that fast.

Bonus extra, I know you asked for only three. Go to another league that has credibility. Also talk to the other 47 previous owners in the ABA if you can, they may be hurting because Joe threw every single one of them under the bus. Is your health insurance paid up ?[/quote]

Hey guys, he is coming to the boards to hear from the fans(well, and the token media guy) so cut him a bit of slack. He has the guts to say he is an owner and will listen.

The Magician
Site Admin

cglue

Post by The Magician » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 am

[quote=""cglue""]Lets make next season a great one!!!!!!!![/quote]

May I ask how long you have been associated or affiliated with the ABA?

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:31 am

Here's some very simple suggestions for the league if it wants to survive at any point from now.

1 - Every owner must prove that they have financial stability. It's easy to sit there and blame Unca Joe for everything that's gone wrong with the ABA (and Lord knows he earns enough blame), but that still doesn't excuse people who have very little financial backing from joining the league. Putting $10,000 in a bank account is not the only expense that a team owner must front. Every owner must be able to prove that they can allocate at a maximum $2 million/year should the need arise.

2 - Make sure all the players are paid. We should not be hearing stories from Arkansas about players getting half a check when they play for a full check. I don't care where the money comes from - the owners, the league, Unca Joe's slush fund - but the players are doing the grunt work and they should receive the benefits and remunerations of same.

3 - Decide on a playoff format and ranking system and stick to it. If it's going to be a single-elimination tournament where the higher seed hosts the lower seed, or a knockout tournament where eight teams show up in one city, then decide that at the beginning of the season and lock that in so that the teams can adequately budget appropriate travel costs. And ditch the Power Rankings system - I know it looks as if the ABA has some sort of BCS thing going on, but the BCS is set up with computer input. Maybe the only way to guarantee that every franchise gets a fair shake in the playoffs is to have a rankings system (won-loss records won't work if one team has played twice as many games as their conference opponents), but there should be some accountability and open disclosure about the rankings setup - i.e., a coach should be able to say with confidence, "We should have scored more points in our win against Toledo, every point increases our power rankings and our future playoff run."

There's my three suggestions. Start with those.

a1sports
Site Admin

the obvious

Post by a1sports » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:52 am

All good suggestions? of course they are. Dont you think the Doyle group and others have wanted to have these rules in place? the problem is Joe is a one man dictator, his way or no way. While all these suggestions are valid and very necessary, Joe still has the trump card over everything. Understand that with his global conquest of having 100 teams, the owners he gets will not have the funding. With 30 teams more than half didnt have the funding, therfore leading to missed games etc etc. Best thing to do, if you really want to get involved in the ABA is 1. Call as many current and previous owners. 2. WAIT a month before you act. At least wait till after the 26th of march and see what happens in the law suit, this well you alot. If Joe wins? well....

Return to “ABA”