Site Admin

Article on the ABA

Post by preeths » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:41 pm

Surprised this hasn't been brought up on the board:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... nba-clippe

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:21 am

...but how do you send it to everyone who has a $25K limit on their Visa or MasterCard?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:28 am

From the article:
"One complaint by critics is that the ABA prays on those with shallow pockets and extravagant dreams, with minimal knowledge of pro sports, and so winds up with too many weak owners who lack an adequate bankroll."
(Thus the problem)
" "People can buy a franchise with their credit card," said Florida Pit Bulls owner Demetrius Ford. His team also defected to the CBA."

"The ABA name is licensed by the NBA. When the NBA, which owns all the rights to the ABA, caught wind of the start-up league in 2000, it sued for trademark infringement. To settle the suit, the ABA paid $100,000 for use of the league's name and the red, white and blue ball made famous by the original ABA.

"The NBA can void the contract and take the ABA name away if it deems the league is in violation of the agreement. By taking a year off to "reorganize" in 2002, the ABA broke a clause in its contract requiring continuous play during a 12-month span, according to the licensing agreement obtained by The Times. But the league paid the NBA $25,000 for an extension."

The NBA needs to take the name back NOW before Uncle Joe can do more damage.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

They need to look no further than the nearest mirror

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:03 am

The ABA has been running the same scam for what...five years now? There is plenty of information available on the Internet about the ABA's past practices. You mean to tell me people are giving interviews in 2006 about being burned by the ABA in 2006? You mean to tell me there are still people who think the ABA league office should reimburse them for all*star game expenses or playoff expenses? I guess the Internet and google doesn't work in their towns because the ABA has never picked-up the tab for such expenses to my knowledge. Besides, how much reimbursing do these people think the ABA can do on 5000, 10000, or 20000 entry fees?

These interveiwees need to stop whining and START exercising some common sense.

Mr_Doug_Bug
Site Admin

Its only a matter of time...

Post by Mr_Doug_Bug » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:59 am

This can not continue much longer. There is no way that Joe Newman is going to be able to keep this scam...eh I mean league going much longer. He is going to end up in court. Too many false promises and not to mention the NBA will have to pull the plug because this league is definately ruining the ABA name. I intend to write commissioner Stern and I hope you all do the same. It is time this thing dies and Joe Newman can go sell used cars.

psbf
Site Admin

Say what you want

Post by psbf » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:49 pm

Say what you want, about the ABA. Everyone who knocks on the league, forgets about all the owners who fail to make good on their promises. You blame the league because they are a 'convenient' scampe goat, it is easier.
Well, I'm glad for the ABA, even if I'm the minority. Yes they have lost teams in the past, but look at the owners behind them. If not for the ABA, cities like mine would not have a team. Other minor leagues are too costly, and forget the NBA, you need to be a millionaire to afford to pay those millionaires!
No, the ABA is not a league to get rich on or to live off of, but the fact is, I'm very appreciative to Joe and the owner of the team here, for giving us pro basketball. I'm hoping they remain here as part of our sports landscape.
Every league will have their nay sayers, and they are entitled. Nobody is perfect. But teams need support and I will do everything I can to help keep mine around. If you don't want to support your area team, that's your problem. But just keep in mind the real facts, not your opinions.

dcsportsaba
Site Admin

Post by dcsportsaba » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:31 am

ABA insider here. Expect big things and big announcements, including multi million dollar sponsorships. Agree with the previous post. You all are entitled to your opinions. Don't go thinking that the whole world is against the ABA just because 5 of you post negative comments. Yes, in the past there were teams that were not operating efficiently and shouldn't have been allowed in the ABA in the first place, but for the most part, teams are packing their venues and are providing fast paced and exciting basketball along with great entertainment. You can get a courtside seat for under $20 and have a great night out. With a new President and COO, the expectations are going to be raised and no more $20,000 franchise entry fee. Detailed background and credit checks are going to be put in place and teams that don't currently qualify are being dismissed from the league.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 am

Excuse my skepicism, but after the last two posts, I'm wondering if I am consuming some very strong hallucinogins on accident.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:56 am

What about the ABA's practice of placing teams in markets that already have minor league basketball, I question if these owners :rolleyes: are really even paying franchise fees, I think the ABA is only out to sabotage owners in other leagues that have really invested their time and money into their franchises. Why is Anderson, IN on the ABA's schedule? I'm I to believe that someone invested $20,000 within the last month to field a team there when the Alley Cats already play there. Some goes for Hammond, Miami and Little Rock. Is bad ownership behind those moves? The League does not care if there teams make it. If minor league basketball was a solar system than the ABA would be an asteriod. The league is only concerned with the constant destruction of markets.
Last edited by bectond on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcsportsaba
Site Admin

Post by dcsportsaba » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:40 am

Teams aren't placed in cities that already have franchises. Teams may be placed in the same state in far away lcoations (45 min-1 hour away). For example, theres a team that plays in Baltimore, MD a team in Alexandria, Va as well as Rockville, MD. They are all 45 min away from each other. No fans are going to switch teams and drive this far to see another team play...unless they are die hard aba fans. This elimnates air travel cost for those interstate games which results in more profits and revenue for the teams. I am up at the league meeting in Indiana right now and I can assure you that the experience of going to an ABA game will be A LOT different, and A LOT of more fun! If you have a team in a city near you, I urge you to go out and experience this fast paced and exciting basketball!

Return to “ABA”