First Iowa Team?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Dan K
Site Admin

First Iowa Team?

Post by Dan K » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:30 pm

The ABA announced the new Sioux City (IA) Hornets as a 2016-17 expansion team and stated this is the league's first Iowa-based team. Since so many teams have come and gone, I guess they forgot about the Cedar Rapids (IA) Running Guns team announced in 2006. That team never made it to the 2006-07 or any other season, but will Sioux City make it to 2016-17?

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3334272

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 pm

There was a team last season named the Iowa Greyhounds with a few games scheduled against Milwaukee & Libertyville (both of which shut down before the season's end.) Since they didn't play I'm guessing the league isn't counting them in their official history.

From their front page:

The Iowa Greyhounds Basketball Organization; is founded on the principals of sports professionalism. We are a National and International professional basketball Team and Organization; by licensing rights of affiliation; as a professional basketball team and organization: agreed upon by the owner(s) of the greyhounds, and the American Basketball Association (ABA).

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/de ... all&p=home

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:09 am

I found this little tidbit on the left hand side of the Iowa Greyhounds website, the part where they were having player tryouts........

THE GREYHOUNDS ARE ALSO IN LOOKS OF HIRING COACHES SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT US VIA EMAIL: iowagreyhounds@gmail.com or CALL 612-314-5353

Looks like the Greyhounds are shaping up to be an average ABA team.
-Gmail address
-teamsonline website
-much hyperbole about how professional they will be
-player tryouts
Last edited by Paul S on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

jpsesq
Site Admin

Post by jpsesq » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 am

[quote=""turbocamyes""]There was a team last season named the Iowa Greyhounds with a few games scheduled against Milwaukee & Libertyville (both of which shut down before the season's end.) Since they didn't play I'm guessing the league isn't counting them in their official history.

From their front page:

The Iowa Greyhounds Basketball Organization; is founded on the principals of sports professionalism. We are a National and International professional basketball Team and Organization; by licensing rights of affiliation; as a professional basketball team and organization: agreed upon by the owner(s) of the greyhounds, and the American Basketball Association (ABA).

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/de ... all&p=home[/quote]

The Libertyville (Ill.) Vipers did not shut down last season. According to the team's Facebook page, the team plans to play again this season.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:09 am

[quote=""jpsesq""]The Libertyville (Ill.) Vipers did not shut down last season. According to the team's Facebook page, the team plans to play again this season.[/quote]

You know, you're right. They did play three games in Feb and somehow made the playoffs. The games I found scores for made them 4-6 in the regular season, 0-2 in the pre-season and, of course, the 101-136 loss to the Steam in the playoffs.

Whether they play again this year is, as always for most ABA teams that limp through their first season, a matter of wait and see.

Return to “ABA”