Is an ABA team a possible opponent for the Harlem Globetrotters

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Is an ABA team a possible opponent for the Harlem Globetrotters

Post by Fran » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 pm

I am being sarcastic, I am sure there are plenty of ABA teams the Harlem Globetrotters could beat up on to fill the void of the Washington Generals.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/14/ ... -generals/

The most one-sided rivalry in sports history has come to an unceremonious end.
The Harlem Globetrotters have ditched the Washington Generals, severing a partnership that lasted 63 years.

“All great rivalries come to an end, and as we get set to celebrate our 90th anniversary, we are excited to take on a new opponent,” Sweet Lou Dunbar, one of the Globetrotters’ coaches, said in a statement to ESPN.com. “We are looking forward to building a new great rivalry as we entertain families worldwide for years.”

The Generals beat the Globetrotters in 1971 — their one and only victory against the acrobatic entertainment troupe. Washington general managerJohn Ferrari estimated that his team lost at least 16,000 games. Its final defeat was Aug. 1 in New Jersey.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Joe Newman believes the ABA teams would crush the Globetrotters, and, while he applauds their contributions to the game of basketball, he says he does not want his league involved with a circus.

:D
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:49 pm

The first problem I would see is where are they going to play the games? The Harlem Globetrotters don't have a home gym or arena. Most ABA teams also don't have a home gym or arena.

I'm being sarcastic too. Sort of.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:57 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Joe Newman believes the ABA teams would crush the Globetrotters, and, while he applauds their contributions to the game of basketball, he says he does not want his league involved with a circus.

:D [/quote]

Oh, the irony.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:52 am

While the NCAA had to crack down on the college basketball exhibitions, I do miss the Globetrotters college tours of a few years back..

Return to “ABA”