The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Paul S
Site Admin

Shreveport-Bossier Mustangs leaving ABA to the PBL

Post by Paul S » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Announcement should be today
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Is this really an upgrade? I know the ABA is the ABA but they can really make their own schedule there. Travel cost you would figure would go up a lot. The only team currently in the south is Florence SC. Almost everything else Ohio Valley to Atlantic NE region.

Seems a bit odd as well as they have been the ABA's poster child for the last few seasons. Including them hosting the championship games. Seems some bridges were definitely burned there.

Maybe the PBL plans to pluck a couple other southern based teams. Could Jacksonville be next? I do know the PBL and TRBL have entered a agreement to play each other.

mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

Post by mateinsixtynine » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Looks like Mavericks are moving away from Louisiana, but with no specific location yet. Makes sense if they're going to play in PBL.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/2015/06/30/shreveport-bossier-mavericks-leaving-town/29536013/

Dan K
Site Admin

Post by Dan K » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:20 pm

For what it's worth, the Central Basketball Development League says it is looking at other leagues for a winter portion of its schedule.

http://www.usbasket.com/CBDL/news/40941 ... 016-season.

When this article originally posted it said the CBDL was talking to the PBL to have a few or all of its teams play in the PBL in the first part of the year (Jan-April) and switch to the CBDL for the rest of the year (May-Sept).

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:28 pm

So basically, they cant complete or even really start their own league but now they can be trusted to step in and compete with other leagues?

Sounds really like they are looking to match a couple teams up with teams from other leagues that are close by for travel. Which makes sense. The PBL was mentioned in the article but they did reach an agreement last season to do something similar with the TRBL.

Another thing to note is that the league claims to have standards of play like the NBA. Does this include official courts size, 3 pt line, extended lane, clocks (shot and game) and rules??? Cant tell you how many times I have heard a league say this but then you get to a game and they are playing at a rec center and don't even have a shot clock.

Return to “ABA”