Jacksonville/South Florida Forfeits

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
turbocamyes
Site Admin

Jacksonville/South Florida Forfeits

Post by turbocamyes » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 pm

Interesting development with Jacksonville vs South Florida: the Gold won both games 119-99 & 130-119. However, it appears that they’ll have to forfeit both games because they were using a player under contract with Jacksonville:

Lavell Payne was signed by the Giants and was being paid 'per game' he played. His contract specifically said that he was signed for the 2014-15 season, and that he was "not eligible to play for any other team." Payne attempted to unilaterally terminate the contract and then proceed to tell the Gold that he was not under contract. “[Payne] just played in two games with the Giants in Miami and then less than 48 hours later he is suiting up for the Gold,” said Giants' Head Coach Kevin Waters. "I can't understand it and his teammates can't understand it."

2-15-15: GOLD Outscore GIANTS, But League to Decide Outcome

http://www.jacksonvillegiants.com/
Last edited by turbocamyes on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to story

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 am

So the Giants lose 2 games, and they call Shenanigans? Over one player? That changed the outcome? Come on man...seriously?

Well, at least there is some new ABA drama surfacing to make it interesting again. I get tired of reading about 170 point games and 70 point blowouts each night. But Shenanigans? That's what they are going for? SMH...
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 am

If an ABA contract is as badly written as the typical ABA press release, there's not telling if the contract's valid or not.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Now THIS is the ABA I remember.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:18 pm

I didn't completely watch the Jax/SFLA game on Saturday (had it running in the background and would take a peek every few minutes) so I can’t say definitively that Payne had any impact on that game, much less the Sunday game. (Unlike previous years, Jacksonville hasn't uploaded their game stats and the Gold have never posted box scores.) However, he was the leading scorer in both games for the Gold the previous weekend against Miami so there was a chance he did the same against the Giants. If he was under contract, and wasn't released, then they have a case.

My question is: If Payne had the talent to impact both the Miami and Jacksonville games, why wasn't he playing for the Giants, especially since they’re not nearly as strong a team as last year.

Mark, he played at Central Florida. Was he worth risking forfeits?

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:05 pm

I also watched part of the game on ESPN3. The Gold are a pretty good team. While this does seem suspicious that Jacksonville loses both these games and then this happens, I will note that the Giants are probably the most professional ran team in the league. The fact that an "actual" contract was written out and signed is probably more of the exception than the rule in the ABA. Then there is the whole paying players and holding up the other end of the bargain on the teams side. As we have seen with the real young owner in greater Chicago, whatever agreement that was in place at the beginning of a season is often not what is in place at the end.

In this all to common case, should it be OK for a player to be released from his contract and be allowed to move immediately over to another team?

Just glad to see that the league actually does something about this now. For years, players have been playing on multiple teams in the same season. If every team was required to have official rosters and official stats they would not have so many of these issues.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:30 am

That's a great point Minor League Man. The ABA is so poorly run how was the Gold to know this guy was under contract.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]That's a great point Minor League Man. The ABA is so poorly run how was the Gold to know this guy was under contract.[/quote]

Just my opinion here but I would imagine most teams don't sign players to an actual "contract". That would leave the team being held legally to pay them and give them whatever benefits they promise.

I know several teams have to work around players personal schedules which does make it hard to come up with legit roster but some standard has to be set.

mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

Post by mateinsixtynine » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Looks like the only real result is that Jacksonville gets to keep their #2 spot on the "ABA National Power Rankings". I think that means they still get their guaranteed bye to the ABA finals. Makes sense though since they seem to be the only team actually drawing crowds.

As a side note, before the season started, Tilley said only teams with 20 games played would be eligible for playoffs. Right now, only 3 teams have 20 games played, with only 3 weekends left. Only 4 other teams have played 15-19 games, with a decent chance of making that mark.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

[quote=""mateinsixtynine""]As a side note, before the season started, Tilley said only teams with 20 games played would be eligible for playoffs[/quote]

I wonder if there will still be a regional tournament like years in the past? That may give some teams on the borderline a chance at near 20. Still it will not be many. ABA playoffs have always been more about attrition than win/loss record. Whoever is left with a team and money travel by the end of the season. Gets right back to your point about Jacksonville. The league knows they have the funds to be there.
Last edited by Minor League Mania on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ABA”