ABA Finals on ESPN3

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
PIONEERSFAN101
Site Admin

Post by PIONEERSFAN101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Well pardon my bluntness, but how much did he have to pay that girl for the ego-(boost -edited by admin)he received for 4 hours of "you're so innovative and amazing and smart and wonderful and awesome and great......"
Last edited by preeths on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Let's keep it kid friendly

PIONEERSFAN101
Site Admin

Post by PIONEERSFAN101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Man I remember the days when this thread would have like 400 replies already of people commenting on Newman and his delusions and all that jazz. Now it's reached the level of "really, nobody cares." I almost miss all the grumbling and constant insanity over here on this particular forum. Sigh...my how times change.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Sadly, we've come to the point where it really doesn't matter any more. We put up with all the bogus promises and convoluted storylines, as if we were following some perverse soap opera. We knew that comments on OSC were getting under Joe Newman's thin skin (the usual "mean-spirited bloggers" whenever he was angry at us), along with the battles between Joe Newman's sycophants, the trolls, the apologists, the demagogues, the ones who believed they could take down Newman like Don Quixote could take down a windmill...

Teams came. Teams left. Some of them had personalities - the North Texas Fresh, whose owner would inflate his own stats as needed; the Houston Takers, with Larry "cglue" spending more time kvetching on OSC than actually running a team; the - wait for it - Georgia Gwizzlies - all these teams, big and small, were more of a tragicomedic sports telenovela. Teams left the ABA and formed their own leagues; teams left the ABA and joined established leagues. And yet, the story continues, like a compact disc player with a stuck "repeat" button.

It's not worth dealing with Crazy Joe Newman any more. Yeah, we can still report on his less-than-ethical (way less than ethical) business acumen, his skills at spinning any bad publicity into either a pro-ABA outlook or an anti-you-hate-the-ABA-you're-meanspirited-and-shameful screed. It's not that he won, it's more that his antics have become as stale and as threadbare as that thatch of burnt Astroturf he calls a toupee.

The best thing I can truly say about Joe Newman is that he found a way to survive for nearly fifteen years in minor league basketball. He survived, in the same way that a leech can survive in the swamp. And although Isiah Thomas and Mickey Monus and Moose Lewis did their damage... they were barely along the level of Roundup to the napalm that was Joe Newman himself.

Okay. Back to lurk mode for me.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:06 pm

That sums it up pretty well, Chuck. Joe Newman actually survived long enough to outlive his usefulness as a punching bag.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:41 am

I only having a passing interest in the ABA. My winter was spent trying to get the owner of the Grande Prairie Cowboys to post the truth about his team on their Facebook page. Like many of the ABA teams, he had great ambitions in moving the Oakland County (MI) Cowboys to Grande Prairie, Alberta. He promised a whole season of home games in Grande Prairie this summer, then in true ABA style the team stopped posting on Facebook. I discovered that the team was advertising its games on the Oakland County Cowboys' Facebook page and called him out on that. He stopped advertising the games there and posted a note saying they were now the Grande Prairie team.

However, all games before Christmas were played in Michigan. I again called him out on this and he promised 10 games in Grande Prairie in the 2nd half of the season. Of course, this never happened and they continued to play in Michigan. The games became even harder to find results for, it seemed they didn't play in February and then played in the Michigan area playoffs. I again called him out on this and he wondered if I wanted to sponsor the team or knew of companies to sponsor the team in Grande Prairie.

I'm not sure why I took to the Grande Prairie team as it is a 5 hour or so drive from my home. But that was my whole interest really in the ABA this season.

Return to “ABA”