The ABA nightmare

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
GeneCrowley
Site Admin

The ABA nightmare

Post by GeneCrowley » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Here is the insanity of the ABA...

My local ABA team, the Birmingham Blitz, tipped off their new season last Saturday.

Neither their website or Facebook page gives a final score but at least their Facebook page said they won.

Looking at the Blitz schedule found on their website (http://www.birminghamblitz.com), we can see numerous "issues" that make the ABA what it is...

1. Blitz Vs Southwest Warriors - 11-02-2013
Luckily, the Warriors have the score on their website.
2. Blitz @ Gulf Coast Flash - 11-30-2013
The Flash's Facebook page says they are playing the East Point Jaguars that day.
3. Blitz Vs Southwest Warriors - 12-02-2013
The Warriors' website says they are off that day.
4. Blitz @ Jacksonville - 12-06-2013
The Giants' website says they are off that day.
5. Blitz Vs Atlanta aliens - 12-08-2013
The Aliens have no website so I have no way to confirm this game.
6. Blitz @ Columbus Bearcats - 12-14-2013
The Bearcats have no website so I have no way to confirm this game.
7. Blitz Vs Jacksonville - 12-16-2013
The Giants' website show they will be playing in Dallas, TX that day.
8. Blitz @ Jackson Show Boats - 12-22-2013
The Showboats' website domain is for sale so I have no way to confirm this game.
9. Blitz Vs Gulf Coast Flash - 01-11-2014
The Flash's Facebook page says they have no game that day.
10. Blitz Vs Showboats - 01-17-2014
The Showboats' website domain is for sale so I have no way to confirm this game.
11. Blitz Vs King City Monarchs - 01-26-2014
WOW!!! The Monarchs' website says they will be playing the Blitz that day!!!
That's the first game I can actually confirm!
12. Blitz Vs Bearcats - 02-08-2014
The Bearcats have no website so I have no way to confirm this game.
13. Blitz @ Atlanta - 02-22-2014
The Aliens have no website so I have no way to confirm this game.
14. Blitz @ Memphis - 03-07-2014
The Reign have no website so I have no way to confirm this game.
15. Blitz Vs Magicians - 03-08-2014
The Magicians have no website so I have no way to confirm this game.

So, there you have it. Out of 14 games still to play, I can confirm only ONE.

ONE!

TWO times the other team says they are playing a different team than the Blitz.

THREE times the other team says they are off that day.

NINE times are unconfirmed due to the other teams not having a website or Facebook page. Facebook is FREE... they can't whip up a team page on Facebook?

And don't try to use the league website for answers. I can't find a link for scores anywhere on it.

Pathetic all around.
Gene Crowley

Discover the history of professional sports teams in Birmingham, Alabama at:
http://www.birminghamprosports.com

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:23 am

It's a disgrace Gene. Well spotted to go through as well, this league is an absolute debacle. Joe 'what-magpie-worry' Newman is the worst leader in sports. There is no accountability, no structure and even less business acumen.

We'd be better off watching a pick up game than this circus.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi Gene, how are you? I have worked for a number of ABA teams over the years doing A/V related stuff. Every team’s situation is a different but as a whole a well ran team is more the exception than the rule. An example you may be able to relate to (being from Birmingham) is the Southern League in MILB baseball. Birmingham plays in front of sold out crowds of 5, 6, even 7000 people and Huntsville plays in front of 5,6, 700 at most. The Southern league would never survive if there were a bunch of Huntsville type teams. I think what attracts people to create an ABA team is the fact that the ABA is like an empty canvas. There really are not any rules or regulations being enforced. You are free to do what you want with your team. Most teams choose to play at a rec center and not provide any marketing, media relations. website content, or even stats and rosters. The crazy thing is that there is enough people out there that would intern for a “professional” organization for free! The only problem is there is nothing professional about the ABA.

GeneCrowley
Site Admin

I see what you mean...

Post by GeneCrowley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 pm

... but I may not have made much sense in my original post.

The bottom line for any business is money, correct?

In the ABA, I see only two main revenue streams... 1) fans purchasing individual tickets and businesses purchasing blocks of tickets and 2) businesses purchasing advertising.

I've never worked for a sports team but I can imagine that before the season starts, the local ABA team would solicit area businesses that are "sports friendly" for blocks of tickets, sponsorships (to be the "official" toilet paper of the Blitz, etc.) and advertising (usually courtside and possibly programs).

Beyond that, it seems the ABA doesn't give a crap about the individual fan.

But what I can't understand, is if I'm a business with a block of tickets to give my employees/customers, when the heck am I going to tell them to go to a game if the schedules are never set and adhered to?

You might could lure me in that first season but I can't understand how a business would sign up for more abuse the next season.

It just amazes me that the ABA allows something as basic as schedules to continuously give it black eye after black eye.

If they would change that one thing, who knows how much respect the ABA could actually earn?

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]Hi Gene, how are you? I have worked for a number of ABA teams over the years doing A/V related stuff. Every team’s situation is a different but as a whole a well ran team is more the exception than the rule. An example you may be able to relate to (being from Birmingham) is the Southern League in MILB baseball. Birmingham plays in front of sold out crowds of 5, 6, even 7000 people and Huntsville plays in front of 5,6, 700 at most. The Southern league would never survive if there were a bunch of Huntsville type teams. I think what attracts people to create an ABA team is the fact that the ABA is like an empty canvas. There really are not any rules or regulations being enforced. You are free to do what you want with your team. Most teams choose to play at a rec center and not provide any marketing, media relations. website content, or even stats and rosters. The crazy thing is that there is enough people out there that would intern for a “professional” organization for free! The only problem is there is nothing professional about the ABA.[/quote]
Gene Crowley

GeneCrowley
Site Admin

And another thing

Post by GeneCrowley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

A month or so ago the local ABA team ran a "Buy a season pass for $1" promotion.

I went to a number of games last year so I thought I'd jump on that offer.

I buy the season pass on their website, get a confirmation e-mail, see the charge on my credit card and then...

... nothing.

I have not heard a word from them since.

I've e-mailed them. Nothing.

Shortly after that, they were pushing season passes for $40.

As of today, you click the link and it says "free tickets".

Is that for one game?

All games?

At this point, I feel like my $1 was a small donation to the team but I'd be plenty steamed if I had paid the $40.

Pathetic.
Gene Crowley

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Of the 85 teams listed by the league I have schedules for 49, and only 5 have yet to appear on at least one of those schedules. Here are the games scheduled for November 1-3.

[html]Date Visitor V Sc Home H Sc
11/01/13 Southcoast Fire 109 South Florida Gold 117
** 11/01/13 Chicago Fury 133 Grande Prairie Cowboys 95
* 11/02/13 Gainesville Heat 115 Atlanta Wildcats 131
11/02/13 SW Warriors 100 Birmingham Blitz 123
11/02/13 Ch City Lions 112 Fayetteville Flight 110
11/02/13 Orange County NovaStars 75 Fresno Griffins 91
** 11/02/13 Chicago Fury 153 Grande Prairie Cowboys 103
11/02/13 New York Jamm 130 Jersey Express 127
*** 11/02/13 TBD Lake City Kingdom Riders
11/02/13 King City Monarchs 113 Midwest Flames 136
* 11/02/13 Hattisburg Hornets 92 Mobile Bay Tornadoes 105
* 11/02/13 Monroe Magicians 101 New Orleans Cougars 111
* 11/02/13 Team Network 95 Pontiac Firebirds 140
11/02/13 Inland Empire Invaders 103 San Diego Surf 98
** 11/02/13 Dallas Diesel 100 Shreveport/Bossier Mavs 116
11/02/13 Southcoast Fire 112 South Florida Gold 129
11/02/13 Lakewood Panthers 88 Tacoma Rise 77
*** 11/03/13 Colorado Kings Beijing Aoshen Eagles
11/03/13 Orange County NovaStars 94 Fresno Griffins 91
11/03/13 Lakewood Panthers 86 Kitsap Admirals 85
* 11/03/13 Chicago Court Kingz 107 Midwest Flames 110
11/03/13 Fayetteville Flight 132 North Carolina Coyotes 121
* 11/03/13 Chicago Fury 135 Team Network 131[/html]

No * - Game confirmed by both teams
* - Game confirmed by one team
** - Original visiting team replaced by new team (Fury for Calgary, Diesel for Dallas Stars)
*** - Lake City dropped out of league, Colorado in China, scores are added late.

Also, there were two games cancelled but those were Colorado games against the Missouri Rhythm originally scheduled before the Kings went to China. And the Grande Prairie games were moved from Sat/Sun to Fri/Sat.

mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

Post by mateinsixtynine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:36 am

One correction, Jacksonville Giants don't appear to have a schedule up yet. Ticketmaster doesn't have any tickets for their games listed either. The one on their site is from last year.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 am

[quote=""mateinsixtynine""]One correction, Jacksonville Giants don't appear to have a schedule up yet. Ticketmaster doesn't have any tickets for their games listed either. The one on their site is from last year.[/quote]

Their first game listed by another team is at a two day tourney on the road against the Gwizzlies on 11/23 and the next day against the Southwest Warriors.

http://gogwizzlies.wix.com/proball#!schedule
http://swwarriors.com/Schedule.html

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 am

The Grande Prairie games were not played in Grande Prairie. I have no idea where they were played, I asked the Calgary Crush on Facebook what happened and they said venue problems in Grande Prairie were why they didn't go. The Grande Prairie Facebook page said they were road games and the USBasket report they linked to claimed they were Chicago Fury road games. So I'm not sure where they were played or for that matter if they were played lol.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:30 pm

I haven't heard anything from the Cowboys, but the Fury said the games took place in Michigan.

Return to “ABA”