PT Barnum 2013

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

PT Barnum 2013

Post by mateinsixtynine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 am

Since the old thread was really, really long, time for the newest owner
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that the Mobile Bay Tornados has been added to its growing list of expansion teams for next season. “We are very excited about being back in Mobile,” stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO, “and in particular, we are very excited about the team owner…Charlie McCants is quite a guy with an extraordinary background and I have no doubt that he will be successful on and off the court.”
Charlie L. McCants served 20+ years in the US Air Force and holds an Electronic Technology Degree at University of Air Force. His experience in the Vietnam War helped him further internalize Air Force ethics and develop a resilient business philosophy along with an unwavering belief in loyalty and personal responsibility.
After a successful post-military career in the real estate and mortgage industry, Charlie founded MBEX Financial and Millennium Business Exchange both of which help individuals obtain entrepreneurial access to develop financial balance and stability to their lives. He plans to apply all of his techniques to his ABA team.
“From my observation of the ABA and its teams, I learned that it is a business like any other business,” added McCants. “You have to treat it like a business. My first objective for the Mobile Bay Tornados is to build a solid example and then reach out to other ABA team owners and show them how to duplicate my example for success. From the sport perspective, we are competitors – from a League perspective, we are one.” For more information, email mbexweb@gmail.com or visit http://www.mobilebaytornados.com.
Let's see:
1. "Owner" seems involved in an MLM.
2. Team name spelled wrong. One tornado, two tornadoes, unless he means two tornas, whatever that is.
3. He's going to show the other owners how to run their teams. I guess the "Keys to Success" isn't enough anymore.

Looks like a team that'll play a few games and be done.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 am

The spelling error is great. Its spelled correctly once on the home page, but sadly that's neither the logo or the url. LOL

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 am

According to activity on Facebook by someone affiliated with the TRBL, the ABA Elite 8 will be in Fayetteville, NC in the middle of March. Alas, it's set to occur on a date where I have a prior engagement, otherwise I would investigate.

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:36 am

[quote=""mateinsixtynine""]
2. Team name spelled wrong. One tornado, two tornadoes, unless he means two tornas, whatever that is.[/quote]

Dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster say that both are proper plural forms of tornado.

mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

Post by mateinsixtynine » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 am

[quote=""MJHankel""]Dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster say that both are proper plural forms of tornado.[/quote]

Okay. Honestly though, I have never seen the form "tornados" before, and I live in tornado country.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

“From my observation of the ABA and its teams, I learned that it is a business like any other business,” added McCants. “You have to treat it like a business. My first objective for the Mobile Bay Tornados is to build a solid example and then reach out to other ABA team owners and show them how to duplicate my example for success
Good Lord.

This man 'observed' the ABA and its teams, yet still invested? He is either a full blown nut or a genius.

Case for nut.........he observed this league and invested.
Case for genius.....he is an MLM guy. He sees the massive potential for turning the ABA into a giant MLM scheme rather than all profits flowing to the basement suite on Holliday Drive.

“We are very excited about being back in Mobile,” stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO, “and in particular, we are very excited about the team....."
We? Who is "we"? Connie, Joe and Archie the shetland sheepdog? Who exactly is "we"?
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

Post by mateinsixtynine » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 am

New team, the Southwest Florida Spartans and their exciting homepage:

http://spartansproball.yolasite.com/

Hoping to play in Tampa, where the Rain didn't play last season.

If you look at their tryout page, someone is planning on hosting 12(!) paid tryouts. Figuring someone's hoping for $55 tryout fee and a limit of 30 per tryout, they're hoping to make $20k just in tryout fees. Of course, I doubt person #31 would be turned away.

This has the look of an "ABA Owner" who will disappear before the season begins, but after tryouts are over.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm

[quote=""mateinsixtynine""]New team, the Southwest Florida Spartans and their exciting homepage:

http://spartansproball.yolasite.com/

Hoping to play in Tampa, where the Rain didn't play last season.

If you look at their tryout page, someone is planning on hosting 12(!) paid tryouts. Figuring someone's hoping for $55 tryout fee and a limit of 30 per tryout, they're hoping to make $20k just in tryout fees. Of course, I doubt person #31 would be turned away.

This has the look of an "ABA Owner" who will disappear before the season begins, but after tryouts are over.[/quote]

I'm not saying I'm the authority on what is, or is not, Southwest Florida.

But I live in Southwest Florida.. in fact I live less than 10 minutes from the Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers.

Generally SWFL is considered to be from Sarasota to Naples.. obviously not being nitpicky for a few miles north or south..

"The team will be located in Largo, Florida in the greater Tampa Bay area and will be owned by Next Level Elite Basketball and Ben Mireles."

Largo is due west of Tampa, north of St. Pete's.. Been there.. it's quite nice..

However, while I realize it's the least of his problems, he's an hour too far north to be considered SWFL by 99.whatever% of the population..

Did he just look at a map and realize that compared to MOST of Florida, Tampa is southwest-ish?? Most of Tampa's locals will know that the Sarasota - Port Charlotte - Fort Myers - Cape Coral - Naples region is SWFL, so of the dozens of people who actually might follow his new team, he's immediately created confusion.

I'd look for a name change to happen.

Anonymous Spectator
Site Admin

Again, cant make this stuff up...

Post by Anonymous Spectator » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 pm

The below is from their website (NEWS tab)...

Doesn't anyone pre-screen this stuff? So the announcement appears to be dated next month...on a Saturday...July 20, 2013???

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA SPARTANS ADDED TO ABA EXPANSION TEAMS
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com/ today (July 20, 2013) announced that it has added the Southwest Florida Spartans to its southeast division. The Spartans will begin play in November.

mateinsixtynine
Site Admin

Newest sucker

Post by mateinsixtynine » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:05 pm

A perfect combination: A broadcast network that doesn't actually broadcast and a basketball league that hardly plays any games.
ABA ADDS ANOTHER TEAM IN ‘THE BIG APPLE”
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that it has added a team which will begin play in November 2014 in New York City. “With teams in Westchester,
Bronx, Brooklyn, Newark and Staten Island, having a team right in Manhattan is a great addition,” stated ABA CEO Joe Newman. “And the ownership group headed by Urban Broadcasting Company (UBC-TV) CEO Peggy Dodson is certainly an impressive and experienced group. We are very pleased with this addition.”
Peggy Dodson has a long and distinguished background in the communications and sports industry and has been very active in the Harlem Community since her return to NY Ms. Dodson has received he NAACP’s prestigious “Women Making History” Award, has graced the cover of Black Enterprise Magazine, and was a featured speaker at Tavis Smiley’s “Blacks in Television” tour. She has also produced, directed and hosted hundreds of hours of programs and has over 19 years experience in the entertainment, film, technology and television industry which led to the development of the Urban Broadcasting Company (UBC-TV), a Harlem-based NY broadcast multi-media network.
“While we have so much going on launching our network, owning a professional basketball team has been on my “bucket list” for years,” stated Ms. Dodson. ”And I could not pass by the opportunity to place a team in NYC in the ABA. I’ve been working closely with Joe Newman for several years and feel that I know what it takes to be successful on and off the court. We will make the New York Pharoahs something special. The level of talent here is amazing. I believe in determination, hard work and business savvy. That’s what we’re all about.” For more information, call 917 478 0625 or email dian7477@yahoo.com or visit http://www.abalive.com.
or http://www.ubctvnetwork.com.

Return to “ABA”