Lightning Strikes Again!

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm

[quote=""jhurley90""]" I don't need you to tell me that my writing is not good I think that the fact I am a senior in vollege" [/quote]

Ahhhhhh......the hubris of youth in Vollege

JHurley- As you hopefully may find out by living in Australia shortly, our Aussie cousins are fairly laid back, in fact they have an expression "No Wucking Furries Mate" (say it out loud) that you should buy into. I think the point we are trying to impart upon you is that, the ABA presents itself as a pro league, it isn't with teams kicking out a borderline incoherent press release. This board has people on it who have played in, worked for or have been season ticket holders, very few of them come away with glowing reports about their ABA experience.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:27 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]Ahhhhhh......the hubris of youth in Vollege

JHurley- As you hopefully may find out by living in Australia shortly, our Aussie cousins are fairly laid back, in fact they have an expression "No Wucking Furries Mate" (say it out loud) that you should buy into. I think the point we are trying to impart upon you is that, the ABA presents itself as a pro league, it isn't with teams kicking out a borderline incoherent press release. This board has people on it who have played in, worked for or have been season ticket holders, very few of them come away with glowing reports about their ABA experience.[/quote]

Again, this was written from my cell phone and I was at the gym when I was "typing" that message so I was not worried about making sure there were no mistakes. Especially since it was with a touch screen and if you look at your keyboard you would see the c and v right next to each other. Pretty sure a little texting mistake has nothing to do with intelligence.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 pm

[quote=""jhurley90""]The point is that little time was used and very few mistakes (if any) were made in the ones I wrote. If any were made as far as grammar or spelling it is because I too have done the majority through my phone and don't always notice the mistakes such as missing a button etc. I don't need you to tell me that my writing is not good I think that the fact I am a senior in college and have gotten a 90 or above on just about all of my college papers would prove that to be wrong. Especially since a few of these courses have been graduate level meaning high level writing.
[/quote]

Really have no dog in this fight, but I thought it's worth pointing out that college class writing and press releases are two very different styles of writing. One could be awesome at writing a paper for a class, but be terrible at following guidelines found in the AP Stylebook. :cool:

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:17 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]Really have no dog in this fight, but I thought it's worth pointing out that college class writing and press releases are two very different styles of writing. One could be awesome at writing a paper for a class, but be terrible at following guidelines found in the AP Stylebook. :cool: [/quote]

This was not the point. The point was I was making it clear that these news releases were not being done by a "paid professional" but rather by a college student who was doing this as a favor to a team who had no team website or anything. I then was told that my writing would not pass in a college writing class? so I obviously am not about to let someone say that when this is no where near being true.

Yeah, there might be a few mistakes here and there but it has nothing to do with intelligence it has to do with amount of time spent "typing" things up because when it is rushed it is very likely to have different spelling mistakes as a result of hitting the wrong key or hitting the wrong letter on a touch screen cell phone which is very common.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 pm

JHurley it's not your writing that needs work. It's your reading comprehension, nobody is saying you are not intelligent. What we are pointing out is the absurdity of a professional league kicking out a press release from a phone and expecting OSC or Eurobasket to edit it.

This is a basketball board, not a debate on your intelligence.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm

[quote=""jhurley90""]This was not the point. The point was I was making it clear that these news releases were not being done by a "paid professional" but rather by a college student who was doing this as a favor to a team who had no team website or anything.[/quote]

Which many here - including myself - have recognized and commended you for, numerous times

[quote=""jhurley90""]I then was told that my writing would not pass in a college writing class? so I obviously am not about to let someone say that when this is no where near being true.[/quote]

My specific quote was:

While better than most of what the Gwizz has put out over the years, it wouldn't pass muster in any English or writing class.

Apparently the term 'pass muster' is one you are not familiar with. It doesn't imply you would fail, but there would be no 'A' coming; again, you are very new to this process, and as was pointed out in yet another reply to you, there are distinct and specific differences between writing a term paper for an English class and putting forth a publish-worthy news release.

But, if you can read the release you cited as your final copy - which, in theory, would be picked up and carried by every major news media outlet - and still maintain that there are no errors in grammar and syntax - well, I stand by my earlier suggestion of bringing your samples to a trusted professor or advisor for their input. Again, I am in no way saying you don't have talent, but you have room to grow - unless you think you have already mastered the art of the written word at 21 years old.

[quote=""jhurley90""]Yeah, there might be a few mistakes here and there but it has nothing to do with intelligence it has to do with amount of time spent "typing" things up because when it is rushed it is very likely to have different spelling mistakes as a result of hitting the wrong key or hitting the wrong letter on a touch screen cell phone which is very common.[/quote]

OK - now we are in agreement that there were mistakes, and that they had 'nothing to do with intelligence.'

Any job worth doing is worth doing correctly, however. Was there any reason you needed to rush these releases for Embry? The only outlets who pick up any of his releases are OSC and USBasket; certainly there was no deep-seated need to have these immediately published. You could have taken the extra 10 minutes or so to re-read and maybe clean them up using your computer and then sending them for release.

In doing construction, it is better to measure twice and cut once; similarly, it is always better to read and re-read before hitting send. In an industry - low-level professional/semi-professional minor league basketball - with little to no media coverage, often the only impression outsiders - potential fans - can cull from a team is what they read. Written in the proper style, with the right amount of dressing up and enthusiasm, the reader is drawn to the team and his/her interest is piqued. A poorly created release, however, serves to have precisely the opposite effect on the reader and, in this digital age where everything is forwever on the internet, those impressions rarely fade.

Again, I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely look forward to reading your published works as you continue to learn and grow in the industry. It is great to see young people taking an active interest and trying something new and unfamiliar. Plus, now you have something to add to your resume as you start out in the 'real' world.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]JHurley it's not your writing that needs work. It's your reading comprehension, nobody is saying you are not intelligent. What we are pointing out is the absurdity of a professional league kicking out a press release from a phone and expecting OSC or Eurobasket to edit it.

This is a basketball board, not a debate on your intelligence.[/quote]

Then why not stick to basketball rather than "debating the intelligence" of myself, Embry Malone, and any other people that have been involved in similar topics.

And I was not the one expecting OSC or eurobasket to edit anything. The things I wrote I just submitted and most did not contain any mistakes. Sure, maybe they could have been written a little better which I would have put more time into if I was not under the circumstances I was under. My point all along has been that the Gwizzlies had next to nothing to start with, so what I contributed was at least better than that.

And apparently what I contributed is helping quite a bit because it has gotten many of the players more exposure which also lead to a contract in Australia for my b/f. In addition I have been in contact with D-league coaches themselves as well as European coaches/scouts, even a few NBA scouts.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 pm

I think JHurley, the point that others are trying to make to you is important to iterate. What you did, while better than Embry's usual output, was not your best, and even if you were doing it for free you should still have the habit of doing your best whenever you put fingers to keys (if communicating is going to be your profession).

I spell check my texts. Seriously.

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]I think JHurley, the point that others are trying to make to you is important to iterate. What you did, while better than Embry's usual output, was not your best, and even if you were doing it for free you should still have the habit of doing your best whenever you put fingers to keys (if communicating is going to be your profession).

I spell check my texts. Seriously.[/quote]

I understand but that is still not the point. People can say whatever they want but I am just trying to say when it comes down to it I still succeeded in what I was trying to do which was to help the players. And normally I am practically OCD when it comes to spelling it drives me crazy when I see people mispell so that is how I know I didn't make many mistakes at all and that any I made were because of texting. So you can kind of see why I would be defending myself on this subject.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 pm

[quote=""jhurley90""]I understand but that is still not the point.[/quote]
It's not the point you're trying to make, but it's the point that several other people have been trying to make to you.

[quote=""jhurley90""]People can say whatever they want but I am just trying to say when it comes down to it I still succeeded in what I was trying to do which was to help the players.[/quote]
Which was not at issue.

[quote=""jhurley90""]And normally I am practically OCD when it comes to spelling it drives me crazy when I see people mispell [sic] so that is how I know I didn't make many mistakes at all and that any I made were because of texting. So you can kind of see why I would be defending myself on this subject.[/quote]
I can see why. But perhaps you should open yourself up to the possibility that you don't need to defend and instead you need to learn.

And, not unlike myself, you misspelled misspell. (Or at least you made a typo.)

Return to “ABA”