When Will The Lies Quit Coming ?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:33 am

[quote=""tydogwr""]TEN,
But I will admit that the 10K is a very tempting offer so I am holidng out to see if somehow this league can be turned around.[/quote]

DING DING DING!

And THAT my friends....is why the ABA is a joke. This is the thinking of TOO MANY of the clueless wannabes that get involved in the ABA...

They think all they need to do is come up with 10K....and it's too late when they realize they need 200-300K to do it right....

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:21 am

[quote=""tops804""]Image[/quote]

"Where oh where are you tonight,
why did you leave me here all alone.
I searched the world over and I thought I found basketball,
they took the money and pffffft they was gone."

Thanks Tops. That photo brought back great memories of my childhood.
Last edited by nksports on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

tydogwr
Site Admin

Post by tydogwr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:33 pm

First of all why do ya'll insist on callin anyone who is considering the ABA an idiot. I just in the begin of my research. I don't know a whole lot about this league, besides talking to some managemant and what ya'll are saying. If the League continues to be as bad as in has shown, then I agree it would be stupid to join. Thats why I am following a few leagues right now so in a few years when I am able to help run a team, it will be with as much knowledge as possible.

Second of all, I will not be owning and running teams by myself. I will be working for a development group.

Third of all, I am not stupid. I don't plan on spending just 10k, and I have never said I'm joining the league anyway, no matter what league we join we plan on spending 200k to 300k per year in order to as you say "do it right".

This is my plan. I have a detailed dudget that shows expenses and revenues and a great place to start a minor league team, it might not even be basketball.

I do appreciate all the info you guys are providing. Which on of ya'll has actually been involved in the ABA and not just observed it? I'm just curious.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 pm

[quote=""tydogwr""]First of all why do ya'll insist on callin anyone who is considering the ABA an idiot.[/quote]
Because, given the track record of the ABA, investing in it is a very foolish thing to do.

[quote=""tydogwr""]Which one of ya'll has actually been involved in the ABA and not just observed it? I'm just curious.[/quote]
ABARedWhiteBlue was involved in it from an ownership direction. TonyChasePBL (formerly TonyChaseABA) was once the owner of the Bluegrass Stallions (who once played [past tense] in the ABA) and is now an official in the PBL. Utahstarsticketholder IIRC bought season tickets to an ABA team that vanished like a puff of smoke. Zeke41 is a former ABA player / coach who now runs the CBL's Florida Flight. I am sure there are others.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:50 am

[quote=""tydogwr""]First of all why do ya'll insist on callin anyone who is considering the ABA an idiot. [/quote]

Post hoc, ergo, propter hoc.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

tydogwr
Site Admin

Post by tydogwr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:12 am

Makes sense, Thanks LightningMan.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 am

Well, I'm done searching my soul, now I'm searching the forum for OSB's magnum opus.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Well, I'm done searching my soul, now I'm searching the forum for OSB's magnum opus.[/quote]

Don't confuse OSB like that, he might think you're talking about Tom Selleck and the penguin from Bloom County.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:45 pm

I honestly think Joe's league has now morphed into just another version of a University degree mill where you can order a degree from the back of a magazine from an official sounding yet nonexistent institute of higher learning. ABA2000 was a legit league, then the ABA had a good plan, now its descended into its current form, the CEO has driven the stock price into the ground.

He's added a twist and instead of a piece of paper that says you have a degree, he sends the mark/sucker/investor a piece of paper saying you own a pro sports team and then follows it up with a press release that will be read (and mocked) by exactly 30 people on this board.

So to compare

Fake University = no class schedule
Fake League = no game schedule

Fake University = no classes
Fake League = no games

Fake University = no teachers, just guy in basement sending out BS
Fake League = no employees, just guy in basement sending out BS

Fake University = no overhead, as it doesn't really exist
Fake League = no overhead, as it doesn't really exist

Fake University = Fools other people into thinking person is educated
Fake League = Fools other people into thinking person is owner

Fake University = one guy collects all money and does nothing but mail degree
Fake League = one guy collects all money and does nothing

Fake University = no educator has heard of it, must be a degree mill
Fake League = players have heard about it, must be avoided

Fake University = little to no value, it can only destroy your reputation
Fake League = little to no value, it can only destroy your reputation

In fact to further pile on the hilarity, Joe has already tried the Ultimate Sales Training course and an ABA University. One great sales idea begets another......
Last edited by Paul S on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

carterpatterson
Site Admin

Post by carterpatterson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:03 am

[quote=""tydogwr""]First of all why do ya'll insist on callin anyone who is considering the ABA an idiot. I just in the begin of my research. I don't know a whole lot about this league, besides talking to some managemant and what ya'll are saying. If the League continues to be as bad as in has shown, then I agree it would be stupid to join. Thats why I am following a few leagues right now so in a few years when I am able to help run a team, it will be with as much knowledge as possible.

Second of all, I will not be owning and running teams by myself. I will be working for a development group.

Third of all, I am not stupid. I don't plan on spending just 10k, and I have never said I'm joining the league anyway, no matter what league we join we plan on spending 200k to 300k per year in order to as you say "do it right".

This is my plan. I have a detailed dudget that shows expenses and revenues and a great place to start a minor league team, it might not even be basketball.

I do appreciate all the info you guys are providing. Which on of ya'll has actually been involved in the ABA and not just observed it? I'm just curious.[/quote]

If you want to buy the Atlanta Vision, just let me know! The success stories are far outnumbered by the failures. The long term guys appear to run it at a loss for their egos. If you want still want to go through with it, my suggestion is that you find D-League owner that wants to sell a small share or raise enough money and interest to form a D-League team. There is not another practical path in my opinion to profitability. The Vermont Frostheaves and Arkansas Rimrockers were the exceptions....not the status quo.

Good luck.
Carter Patterson
The Atlanta Vision - http://www.atlvision.com

Return to “ABA”