American Basketball Association Going out of Business Sale 2010

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:46 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Have you actually looked at the ABA? The antics of that league simply overshadow those of all other minor leagues combined. Look, you don't have to like the PBL, but how do your concerns have anything at all to do with the ABA?[/quote]

He just wants to beat his dead horse more dead. Why won't you let him? I mean, really, there have to be several hundred more ways for BC to call the PBL management names. It's not faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

:mrgreen:

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 am

The unintended humor that the ABA can produce is better than any television show, movie, play or book. Frankly if Joe had his druthers he'd simply approach the comedy channel and have a reality show based on this circus.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

a1sports
Site Admin

additional items for sale

Post by a1sports » Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 am

26 hand puppets, labeled, Bill H., Jeff K., Mark S., John W. etc etc
in a box marked " ASK THE CEO".......................................10.00

One telescope and tripod mounted on roof pointing to downtown Chicago.......5.00

40 lbs of puppy chow, labeled "Secret Protein Food" used for Indiana Legends road trips instead of per diem money.............................10.00

Case of preperation H, not opened, adressed to Joe N with instructions
" Apply over the whole body"..............................10.00

Box of Valentine day cards adressed to "Joe with Love" from
Old school Baller, Juniper, sonnie20, Time out and Sam hill...........1.00

Kodak Brownie Camera, used at ABA rap concerts................5.00

Certificate of Membership to "Jughead fan club" of Archie comic books,
name on certificate " Joey Newman, President.....................1.00

Rolodex with phone numbers to: Latin Kings, Jay Leno, Crypts, Bloods, Donaghy, Chichester, The anti-Christ, Madoff, Rosie O'Donnell....5.00

400 Lolli-pops, taken from babies, by Joe.............................20.00

One sign labeled, " Mother for sale, see Joe for details"..............1.00

Juniper
Site Admin

Post by Juniper » Tue May 18, 2010 1:51 pm

A1, is just a funny guy. Maybe Doc can help him find a TV deal in China. They need a laugh form time to time. To most of you, the ABA is a bad league. Some of us feel the PBL is a bad league. Again, most of you are right. You know so much about minor league basketball that we should all listen to what you have to say. I guess the only place that I won't listen to A1, is when he continues make negative remarks about Sonnie. He can say what he wants about me. Like I care about what this guys says. Sonnie works with our Vets every day. We all know for sure that A1 has not or never will serve his Country. That is why he can't respect Sonnie. Sonnie has served his Country in the war, and continues to do so. He works with our guys that have had and arm or leg shot off. So, with A1 and his little funnies, I don't see his humor in saying things about Sonnie.

I think we all know that these leagues won't be around much longer anyway. Lets be honest too, the IBL is run the best. Look how long they have been around, with monor problems. Give any excuss you want about why they don't have the problems. I am not 100% behind the IBL, but they are way better then the winter leagues. I don't like the fact that some teams don't pay players. At the same time, I don't like the fact that A1's team and a couple of others have player budgets of over 120 grand. These teams that are paying that kind of money, are the reason these leagues are flolding. Only a few teams can compete, and if you can't compete, why stay in the league. Look at AFL, they paid to much, and there is no league. It is nice to have a budget like A1's team, cause you can buy a Championship. In these tough time, owners can't pay like they used to.

I have also noticed less people are posting. I wonder why? Even during the season I noticed less people were posting.
Last edited by Juniper on Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue May 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Come on, lighten up, Juniper. Don't let this stuff eat at you like this a year later. We have a board for the IBL if you'd like to discuss that league further.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey, cant you read, this is a "for sale" thread, take your crying to another thread, your hurting business...

PS stop using sonnie as your martyr. My brother was in vietnam, shall I use him some how and tie him into how the IBL doesnt pay players?

Which is my team? Rochester with the $270,000 payroll or Lawton with the $265,000 payroll...? . Thats probably all the IBL teams combined over 5 seasons.

Looks like april - June isnt working in IBL, try August - November and have games at 1 pm, detroit lions are going anywhere.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue May 18, 2010 2:25 pm

[quote=""Juniper""]A1, is just a funny guy. Maybe Doc can help him find a TV deal in China. They need a laugh form time to time. To most of you, the ABA is a bad league. Some of us feel the PBL is a bad league. Again, most of you are right. You know so much about minor league basketball that we should all listen to what you have to say. I guess the only place that I won't listen to A1, is when he continues make negative remarks about Sonnie. He can say what he wants about me. Like I care about what this guys says. Sonnie works with our Vets every day. We all know for sure that A1 has not or never will serve his Country. That is why he can't respect Sonnie. Sonnie has served his Country in the war, and continues to do so. He works with our guys that have had and arm or leg shot off. So, with A1 and his little funnies, I don't see his humor in saying things about Sonnie.[/quote]
It isn't an us vs. you issue with the two leagues; both have gaping holes in them that must be filled - it's just that the ABA has an unparalleled record of abject failure that no other "professional" league will ever be able to meet. Thos eof us who frequent the ABA board get new material weekly (or more often) that continue to highlight the woefully inept organizational structure that Joe Newman continues to present as a 'model' business plan.
You have seen A1 enought oknow that he latches on to something and browbeats it to death - right, wrong or indifferent. Most of us read (or skip) and go on to something else.

[quote=""Juniper""]I think we all know that these leagues won't be around much longer anyway. Lets be honest too, the IBL is run the best. Look how long they have been around, with monor problems. Give any excuss you want about why they don't have the problems. I am not 100% behind the IBL, but they are way better then the winter leagues. I don't like the fact that some teams don't pay players. At the same time, I don't like the fact that A1's team and a couple of others have player budgets of over 120 grand. These teams that are paying that kind of money, are the reason these leagues are flolding. Only a few teams can compete, and if you can't compete, why stay in the league. Look at AFL, they paid to much, and there is no league. It is nice to have a budget like A1's team, cause you can buy a Championship. In these tough time, owners can't pay like they used to. [/quote] These troubles are in all of minor league basketball (and other sports, I presume). We see them in basketball every ABA season (and in the PBL) - ownership groups with more dreams than drachmas looking to be a sports owner without nearly enough financial resources to compete. Rather than accept them and either hope to carry them through (PBL) or hope they figure it out on their own (ABA), these leagues shouldn't give them more than a passing glance, and instead concentrate of groups who verfiably have the resources to at the least present a professional product on and off the court. But the leagues feel bigger is better, so we have these shoestring franchises that drag down the overall quality and image of the leagues annually.

[quote=""Juniper""]I have also noticed less people are posting. I wonder why? Even during the season I noticed less people were posting.[/quote]

I think there have been more posters, actually - at least in terms of different people. Some high-volume posters have cut way back for any number of reasons, and that might lend to the idea that the number is down, as they would get very actively involved in threads and help continue the conversations over longer periods of time. But, I think there are a lot of new people and ideas here as well (not counting the ABA sycophants and sock-puppets who jump in for a few posts then disappear - I mean people who actually have something productive or informative to contribute).
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue May 18, 2010 3:20 pm

[quote=""Juniper""]I have also noticed less people are posting. I wonder why. Even during the season I noticed less people were posting.[/quote]
Funny. It seems to me that the basketball boards are much more active in the post season this year. That said, it is still the post-season for the PBL, D-League, and ABA. And there isn't a CBA to talk about anymore, a league which had very vocal passionate fans.

As ABARWB said, there are some long timers who aren't posting in volume, but there are more regulars these days, like yourself, whom I didn't know from Adam three years ago.

You seem like you're a nice guy, Juniper, but I really do wonder at this point what you're looking for here.

Most people here believe that BC was screwed at least a little during their dealings with the PBL, but it should really tell you something that guys who don't agree on a lot of stuff all seem to agree you need some sort of catharsis where the BCK situation is concerned.

I imagine part of what irks you is that you believe A1 is a member of the PBL who is prancing around rubbing your face in it. I don't believe this is the case, but even if it is, so what? The PBL got the best of you. It sucks. My motto has been for many years "The best revenge is living well."

Enjoy your Knights in the IBL. Enjoy your life. Don't let the bastards get you down. It doesn't do me any good to dwell on how the PBL put Wilmington on an island, forcing them to leave the league, so I don't. I focus on them being 4-1 in their new league.

Find whatever it is you need to come to terms with what happened. But whatever you're looking for, I don't think you'll find it on the boards of OSC.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:36 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]
You seem like you're a nice guy, Juniper, but I really do wonder at this point what you're looking for here.

Most people here believe that BC was screwed at least a little during their dealings with the PBL, but it should really tell you something that guys who don't agree on a lot of stuff all seem to agree you need some sort of catharsis where the BCK situation is concerned.

[...snip...]

Find whatever it is you need to come to terms with what happened. But whatever you're looking for, I don't think you'll find it on the boards of OSC.[/quote]

Basically, Juniper, anyone in BC who was wronged by the PBL has one thing left to do: SUE THE BASTARDS.

The creditors aren't going to get the money back here.

I can see that the PBL has major issues. I Believe that the PBL has a perception problem with its priorities. I understand that the PBL did things wrong regarding BC -- I only know your side as to how wrong, though. And the more you go on about it, the more you sound like a one-note crank without objectivity... and I start wondering about your story, too.

So the suggestion here echoes what you heard above -- focus on how the Knights are doing in the 2010 IBL season. Let the 2009 PBL season go, already. Or, at least, pursue it in a venue where you might actually accomplish something. As they say at the end of every episode of The People's Court -- "Don't take the law into your own hands. Take 'em to court." Small claims court is surprisingly affordable... :)
Last edited by robster2001 on Tue May 18, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reworking the editorial "we", as I'm only speaking for "me". :)

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm

cant we just go back to selling off the ABA items? I see a few more boxes comming up from the basement , oops I mean ABA headquarters now.........

Return to “ABA”