Texas RimRockers coach Benjamin Mireles fired

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
RimRockers Play2Win
Site Admin

Texas RimRockers coach Benjamin Mireles fired

Post by RimRockers Play2Win » Sun May 09, 2010 11:38 am

El Paso -- Texas RimRockers coach Benjamin Mireles will not be the head coach of the Texas RimRockers.

Less than two weeks after RimRockers' first tryout in the ABA in Dallas, Texas, Bentley cited a "irreconcilable differences" about the language of the contract with Benjamin Mireles.

The Texas RimRockers release in this statement that Jonathan Bentley will assume the head coaching position for the upcoming ABA season and will also maintain his position as Director of Basketball Operations as well. We will be making an announcement towards a new general manager at a later date.

For more information about this story, please contact Jonathan Bentley 972.510.5928 or email us at: jonathan.bentley@gorimrockers.com
Last edited by RimRockers Play2Win on Tue May 11, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reach an Agreement with the ABA and coach Benjamin Mireles

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Wow.

Without comment on the actual content of the press release, this is a good example as to why a team's general manager should not also be the media coordinator.

It's one thing for unnamed sources to talk about bouncing checks and "dysfunctional" coaching. It's another for a team to go on record in a media release.

I suspect that in the long run, this release will be seen to be a bad idea.

poppajohn
Site Admin

Post by poppajohn » Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 pm

[quote=""RimRockers Play2Win""]El Paso -- Texas RimRockers coach Benjamin Mireles was fired on Friday, April 23rd in a shocking move by Director of Basketball Operations Jonathan Bentley, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and the team.

Less than two weeks after RimRockers' first tryout in the ABA in Dallas, Texas, Bentley cited a "profanity-laced" argument about his conduct as the former owner of the South Texas Showboats in firing Benjamin Mireles, who wasn't under contract at the time of the dispute.

"This decision was so hard because Mr.Mireles was suppose to be a valued coach of our team," Bentley said in a statement. "But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire RimRockers organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver an ABA championship to the Texas RimRockers. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving this situation once and for all."

The Texas RimRockers told Benjamin Mireles on Friday, April 23 that it wasn't going to work between him and the team. After that decision, The team began calling RimRockers players and the staff the same night, telling them of the context of the firing.

The American Basketball Association (ABA), citing several owners and players within the league, reported to the Texas RimRockers that Benjamin Mireles owned money to several businesses in the city of San Antonio and to Marlon Minifee, who took over for the team and rename them the Texas Fuel.

Marlon Minifee stated that players were paid with "bogus checks" by coach Mireles and forced to live under usual "living arrangements" with the players and coach Benjamin Mireles' family living under one roof at one point. This was also confirmed by former South Texas Showboats player Albert Strickland who currently plays for the Texas Fuel and several other former players of the team and current team owners and coaches in the Southwest Division of the ABA.

When told of this situation between Mireles and his former players of the South Texas Showboats, Mr.Bentley described the situation as "dysfunctional" and "disappointing".

As for Mireles' relationship with the Texas RimRockers, Bentley said: "I don't know why it becoming so bad right now. At the time, I tried to get an explanation about the South Texas Showboats and his former business partner Marlon Minifee, he always had the same rebuttal ... he didn't want to talk about the past and he is just here to coach basketball"

The Texas RimRockers also indicate in a statement that the team will not pay coach Benjamin Mireles because at the time of the firing, coach Mireles wasn't under contract so there for isn't entitled to any financial compensation.

Bentley stated "We were negotiating a contract for Mr.Mireles at the time before his firing. I paid for Mr.Mireles to come here after his brief coaching stint for the California Sea kings in which he was fired by Wash Stallworth, owner of the Sea Kings. I also paid for coach Mireles' hotel stay at the Plaza Suites in Las Cruces, NM while we worked on a contract agreement. After the team fired coach Mireles, we indicated that we are not responsible for any type of compensation for travel nor living arrangements especially since he was fired from the position. The team would have paid for his travel arrangements back to California if we couldn't come to a contract agreement but that isn't the case in this situation as indicated by Mr.Mireles himself."

"Our players and fans deserve to know what really has happen over the last month," Bentley says in this statement. "When I decided to move ahead with coach Benjamin Mireles in mid-March, I did so with the expectation that he was going to be the RimRockers an ABA championship. Unfortunately, that will not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with this type of coaching change have convinced me that we will simply have to move forward with such dysfunction between coach Benjamin Mireles and the Texas RimRockers. It has also been brought to my attention that Mr.Mireles has made false accusations towards my players and towards me as well. His recent actions, whether it being harassing my players by text message and providing false accusations about this situation or misrepresenting himself as a qualified basketball coach can no longer be accepted nor tolerated. This is just a situation of a disgruntled former employee trying to embarrass and trying to slander my organization. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone associated with Texas RimRockers would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level."

The Texas RimRockers release in this statement that Jonathan Bentley will assume the head coaching position for the upcoming ABA season and will also maintain his position as Director of Basketball Operations as well. We will be making an announcement towards a new general manager at a later date.

For more information about this story, please contact Jonathan Bentley 972.510.5928 or email us at: jonathan.bentley@gorimrockers.com[/quote]
A very bad idea. Since no one gives a crap about the firing of a "dysfunctional" coach in a rec league synonymous with dysfunction, silence was the best policy.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:53 pm

For god's sake, show some class. This is such a cheap shot press release.

It's also pretty hilarious that the release reams out the guy for not paying players and then admits to refusing to pay him for the time he put in as coach.

RimRockers Play2Win
Site Admin

Post by RimRockers Play2Win » Sun May 09, 2010 3:25 pm

As indicated in the press release, we paid for room and board at the Plaza Suites in Las Cruces, NM while we were working on contract agreement with Mr.Mireles.
This was agreed upon before Mr.Mireles left from the California Sea Kings and was brought to my organization. We couldn't reach a contract agreement during the time that we was here and he ended up getting fired due to his "profanity-laced" argument with me and my staff.

My organization wasn't going to comment about his firing at first out of respect to coach Mireles but when you disrespect my staff and then lied about the reason in which you released from my organization, then we decided to clarify the situation with a press release.

If you noticed the date in which we fired Mr.Benjamin Mireles was back on April 23rd...We are reacting to false accusations being made by Mr.Mireles about his release and simply explaining our point of view on this matter.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Sun May 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Typical for a rec league that is so far from a professional league. Looks the owners are getting worse that Joe Bullcraps them believeing that its a real league.
The scam continues on................

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun May 09, 2010 5:26 pm

This is the strangest thing I've ever read.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun May 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Just an average day in the ABA.

I read this release 4 times and I'm still a little confused. These guys in Tampa must be wondering what the h*** Joe sold them.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 am

[quote=""Paul S""]These guys in Tampa must be wondering what the h*** Joe sold them.[/quote]

Naw, the Kool Aid tastes sooo good. And besides, it's all those mean spirited bloggers that cause him to find owners with no $$$ to pay players and other associated costs

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

One thing's for sure, the RimRockers are already proving themselves a worthy addition to the ABA. And some say the ABA lacks due diligence...

Return to “ABA”