SE Texas Sticks it to Joe, laughing while they run from the ABA rec league

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
a1sports
Site Admin

SE Texas Sticks it to Joe, laughing while they run from the ABA rec league

Post by a1sports » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 am

Looks like SE Texas owner got one over on Joe, another rec league winner bolts the ABA con game.

From what I have gathered there will be a southern divsion in the PBL next year with SE Texas in it along with wichita, lawton and Omaha.

I can see Nelson laughing at you Joe. What smart businessman stays in the ABA rec league?
Last edited by a1sports on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the brand name of joe's wig,,,its horrible

bdyer
Site Admin

ummm....

Post by bdyer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 am

So you like this guy now?

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:43 pm

I can't see this going well... I guess SETX couldn't get their breakaway league going and is settling for the PBL?

I just wonder how SETX will handle the PBL's focus on one particular Northeastern team...? :)

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 pm

another one with another dumb post, the players play the game the coaches coach...they have to win at least 15 plus games to get into playoffs... Rochester conspiracy, stop and get a grip,Another conspiracy nut. Gee I hope you dont think the yankees and other pro teams that win regulary are conspirators also,. wait you probably do.

if you want conspiracy, then see the ABA where Joe and chichester pick the winners for the rec league.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:05 pm

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

nksports
Site Admin

Not a chance

Post by nksports » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:58 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]From what I have gathered there will be a southern divsion in the PBL next year with SE Texas in it along with wichita, lawton and Omaha.[/quote]

The PBL would last three weeks in Wichita (the ABA — one week). Wichita State basketball is king, and that is no understatement. The Shockers outdraw many a major conference program (10,333 last season, about 95 percent arena capacity). People also would stay home if KU or K-State is on TV. I dare say Newman (NCAA II), Friends (NAIA II), Bethel (NAIA II), Tabor (NAIA II), McPherson (NAIA II), Central Christian (NAIA II, NCCAA I), Sterling (NAIA II), Southwestern (NAIA II), Hutchinson CC (NJCAA I), Butler (NJCAA I), Cowley (NJCAA I), Pratt CC (NJCAA I), Hesston (NJCAA II) and any area high school on the level of Class 2A on up would all outdraw a minor-league team on a given night. About the only team in the area a minor league team would outdraw is Barclay (ACCA II, NCCAA II).
You wouldn't get a venue. Even if an owner could afford the Intrust Bank Arena (and I think they are looking at the D-League, especially if an NBA team comes to Kansas City, and for the aforementioned reasons, it would be risky), the minor league hockey team there gets the plumb dates and the rest of the time it is booked up with concerts. You might be able to afford Hartman Arena, but again, I doubt you'd get much of a crowd. The small schools aren't going to give up their home dates for minor league.
Spring or summer minor league MIGHT work here, but you are still in competition with minor league baseball, summer college baseball and even indoor football. Spring pro basketball worked in Salina and Dodge City because there is less competition (but both towns now have summer college baseball). The ABAish implosion of the USBL did those franchises in. The AAPBL (which made even the ABA look good in comparison) did much to torch several area towns (Wichita, Topeka and Hutchinson) as potential markets.
For many of the same reasons, Omaha would not be a good choice for a team.
I know there is a lot of bad Kool Aid going around in the minor league basketball, but please people — think before you drink (and then stink).

FrontOffice
Site Admin

Post by FrontOffice » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 pm

I think they're talking about Wichita Falls, TX. I've heard it mentioned for a few years as a rumored site for expansion in several leagues

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:55 am

Wichita also had a very forgettable team in the GBA in 1991-92.

nksports -- Why would the NBA want a team in Kansas City when they can
already look forward to the annual arrival of a new ABA team in KC? (Which
usually plays about two games...) :p
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:10 am

[quote=""a1sports""]another one with another dumb post, the players play the game the coaches coach...they have to win at least 15 plus games to get into playoffs... Rochester conspiracy, stop and get a grip,Another conspiracy nut. Gee I hope you dont think the yankees and other pro teams that win regulary are conspirators also,. wait you probably do.

if you want conspiracy, then see the ABA where Joe and chichester pick the winners for the rec league.[/quote]

Why don't you get off your high horse long enough to READ what I said?

It was "I just wonder how SETX will handle the PBL's focus on one particular Northeastern team...?"

Are you going to deny that the PBL is centered around the Rochester franchise? And are you going to deny that SETX's leadership appear to have fairly sizeable egos?

The comment had nothing, at all, to do with on-the-court "conspiracies" and everything to do with my opinion (based on SETX's press releases and the PBL's short history) that Steve Tucker is going to get along with the Hrywnaks about as well as oil gets along with water.

Then again, your bias is obvious - you have some relationship with the Rochester franchise, so anything that even slightly appears to challenge the Hrywnaks' halos is clearly a problem for you - while I'm just a fan who is kind of enjoying the train wreck that is minor pro basketball (I do feel sorry for anyone who's lost money or other assets in it, but at this point, it really is a self-inflicted wound, no?).

nksports
Site Admin

Ask me a question, I'll hijack the thread

Post by nksports » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:32 am

[quote=""tops804""]Wichita also had a very forgettable team in the GBA in 1991-92.

nksports -- Why would the NBA want a team in Kansas City when they can
already look forward to the annual arrival of a new ABA team in KC? (Which
usually plays about two games...) :p [/quote]

I had the "honor" of being the official scorer of the final game of the Wichita Outlaws. The owner was going around saying how great things were going to be next year. There were rumors that Wichita was going to be allowed in the playoffs because another team was possibly folding.
I was told the offices were cleared out the next day.
They rarely drew more than 1,000 a game. The team's two best crowds actually came at the Hutchinson Sports Arena and Thresher Gym on the Bethel College campus (the only sellout at about 2,000 and the final GBA game for Lloyd Daniels, who was signed by the NBA that day) when the team was out of its home because of the Miss USA pageant. The Outlaws did a good job of staying away from days when Wichita State played, but they played in a venue (Century II) that was union, very expensive and already caused a local college team to shut down its men's basketball team for nearly a decade (Newman).
The Outlaws had some decent talent. They tried to sign as much local talent as they could. They had a horrid start to the season. They had an older junior college coach, who was briefly replaced by his son, who had some playing experience and little coaching experience.
To answer the question about KC, it's because the Sprint Center is run by AEG (see Staples Center) and have made no bones about its desire to bring in either (or both) an NHL or NBA team.
The new Wichita arena is run by SMG. It has a CHL team as its anchor tenant. I know they've mentioned the D-League as a possiblility. They were in talks with af2 before the AFL imploded. My guess is they are looking to see how the WNBA does in Tulsa.
But if you come in half-a$$ed, especially ABA-style, you risk either getting run out of town tarred and feathered on a rail, or going to jail for fraud like they just did with a guy who started a failed amusement park on a wing and a prayer.
Front Office mentioned it was actually Wichita Falls in play for the PBL. That would make more sense because your main competition is Midwestern State (NCAA II) and Junior A hockey, and of course high school hoops. You also have a natural rival with Lawton-Fort Sill. (make sure you've got a PikePass for the team bus/van). :)
Last edited by nksports on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “ABA”