Eastern Kentucy renamed?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Eastern Kentucy renamed?

Post by psbf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:42 pm

ok, the latest release has the Eastern Kentucky Energy. I did not see them mentioned, but I'm wondering if they renamed the Miners?

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 pm

[quote=""psbf""]ok, the latest release has the Eastern Kentucky Energy. I did not see them mentioned, but I'm wondering if they renamed the Miners?[/quote]

It's a new team with no affiliation to the Miners - see the bold line at the end of the release below...

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3950500
ABA Adds East Kentucky Expansion Team
January 12, 2010 - American Basketball Association (ABA)

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that the East Kentucky Energy will be added to the growing list of teams that will begin play in December 2010. "I can't tell you how pleased I am to be back in eastern Kentucky," stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO. "Basketball is king there and the area has a long heritage of supporting professional basketball. The new owners, Tom Hamilton and Jerry Boggs, are exceptional people with a great understanding of what it takes to be an outstanding organization both on and off the court. We know that they will have one of the best operations in the ABA."
Tom Hamilton is Vice President of Justice Entertainment Inc. and his responsibilities include developing marketing and advertising budgets and creating and implementing the marketing plan. Previously, he was President of Laser Printer Solutions where his responsibilities included the overall direction, development, and execution of the business plan. He was responsible for finding and developing new ways of providing products through different sales channels. With over 15 years of experience in overseeing and launching businesses, he feels that he is perfectly set for the Kentucky Energy.

"Our mission is a commitment to bring Eastern Kentucky the most affordable and quality sports entertainment in the region," stated Hamilton. "Our goal is to win championships while involving our players, coaches and entire staff in supporting local businesses and our local message of the importance of coal and energy in our future."

Co-owner of the team is Jerry Boggs, a long-time journalist, photographer and writer. He currently serves as Editor for the Appalachian News-Express. Jerry has worked in the newspaper industry for more than 10 years serving as a sports writer and photographer for much of that time. His work has been published in five states and he has covered championship teams at many levels, including the University of Tennessee's national championship football team and Kentucky's national championship basketball team. He was also the co-founder and partner of two photography companies and has won numerous awards for his writing and photography.

"We are definitely excited about competing against the Bluegrass Stallions, the Music City Stars, the West Virginia Blazers and the other teams in our division. This is a brand new organization, not associated with the previous team that played here. We believe we have some of the most loyal and knowledgeable fans in the country; we know we have the best basketball players in the country - and the combination should make us very formidable. We cannot wait to begin."

For more information, visit http://www.eastkentuckyenergy.com or emal jthamilton1@yahoo.com or http://www.abalive.com.

http://eastkyenergy.com/
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Unless the Miners folded, I don't see why E.K. needs two teams!

MathProf64
Site Admin

Post by MathProf64 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:02 am

I've not seen any evidence that the Miners still exist.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

[quote=""psbf""]Unless the Miners folded, I don't see why E.K. needs two teams![/quote]

I don't think that question ever entered Joe's mind.

The only question Joe asked himself was, "Do I need another market reservation check?"
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:10 am

[quote=""psbf""]Unless the Miners folded, I don't see why E.K. needs two teams![/quote]

Based on this web presence - on January 12 - they may be on their way to join Kansas City in the ABA's black hole:
Coming Soon! SE Kentucky Miners Basketball
http://www.ekminers.net

The Most Exciting Brand of Basketball in the State of Kentucky is returning for a third season!
We are currently moving our site to http://www.ekminers.net
We will be back soon!
Also, from another OSC thread:
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... hp?t=16432
EK Miners announced in two seperate PR's & in the local papers that they wouldn't be playing in this season.
Last edited by ABARedWhiteBlue on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

MathProf64
Site Admin

Post by MathProf64 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:22 am

That website hasn't changed in over a couple of months. Like I said, I'm not holding my breath.

pikevilleout
Site Admin

Miners?

Post by pikevilleout » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Miners are gone fellas, D tried to get the new owner that Keathly tried to get in to pay for the Miners name, which I believe they said he wanted 80,000 which is crazy, So Keathly had plans on bringing the Starrz into the aba, (Miners renamed) but the owner wanted to have split games, play 2-4 in Pikeville, and then the rest in Corbin. My opinion how can you keep a following and get crowds when that happens. Anyways looks like Tom and Jerry. LOL no pun intended beat Keathly to it. and it seems like they were able to work with the Expo center to get all there games there, which from what i gather Keathly was having a issue doing. Either way its basketball in Eastern Ky. Which I can live with. So there is NO ties to the Miners, brand new owners, new team, and seems like these 2 may know exactly what they are doing. Or at least I hope so. All the luck to Keathly and his team though. :D

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks for the update, ot. I'm glad Eastern Ky has a team again, although choosing this league tells me they don't know what they are doing.

pikevilleout
Site Admin

Post by pikevilleout » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:13 am

LOL psbf, not like they had much choice. LOL.
as long as its ball all that matters,
i will admit aba has issues, but what minor league doesnt.
seems to me they all have...

Return to “ABA”